ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems with 17s!!! Help! Scrubbing!

Today I put my ICE back in my car after getting the 17"s fitted and I was driving along with just one front seat passenger and my rear arches were scrubbing on every bump in the road!!! I cant understand why this is happening cos my cars lowered only 40mm, my wheels are only 7" wide, Ive got the perfect 38 offset and my tyres are narrow, 205 width and they slope away at the top, so I can see no reason for scrubbing without any back seat passengers!!! Anyone else had any scrubbing probs with their 17"s or have I got something protruding in the arches that shouldnt be???

Also, since Ive had the new rims on I get a really bad shaking wobble through the steering at speeds of 57mph+, is this cos I havent had the tracking redone yet or is it the sign of a more serious problem?? The wheels are all balanced and theyre on tightly, I retorqued the bolts after the first day of driving.

Any help on either of these matters much appreciated.

Abarth Grande Punto

i had to gridn out sharp edges from inside my arches cos it f**ks your tyres amd take out the wheel linners

Lionel Richie

something doesnt sound right there!!!! I can carry a full load of passengers plus my false floor and sub and im lowered 60mm!!! The tyres go right up the arches, and i still get no scrubbing!!!!

ET38 isnt IMHO the "perfect offset" ET37 is!!!!!

Is it just happening over bumps???? Or does it happen going round corners??? Is it from both sides???

Take the rear wheels off and have a look at where its catching (there are two bolts that stick out into the rear wheel arch, the sh*t gaurds attach to these)

BTW how heavy (roughly guess) is your stereo system?????

My stereo is about 30kg. Ive also still got my spare steel wheel in the back so I guess theres a lot of weight over the rear axle. I cant figure out whats actually catching in the arches, and its happening just going over small bumps/hills. I get a squeaking from the tire rubbing something. Ill have a look at those bolts on the sh*tguards cos if its that it should be a simple job of ripping them out!!

When I said ET38 was the perfect offset, I only said that because that was what I was told by BK Racing when ordering the wheels was the best to avoid scrubbing! It sounds like 37 might indeed be better if you can go 60mm without any hassle!

Clio 200 FF

some tyres stick out a bit more than others even though the sizes are the same. Best way to check to see if it is your tyres rubbing is to use some chalk on the tyre edges/ corners , have a drive then look to see if any chalk has been rubbed off ;)