ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Products For Mondial Blue 172?

172 Cup
I've got a decent selection of detailing kit at the moment but I've just ran out of wax a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking at getting a Mondial Blue 172 and was wondering what wax you guys recommend for them?
I was thinking about jut going for some Collinite as its pretty hard wearing but does anyone have better suggestions for this colour?

Also how is the Renault paint for machine polishing? Is it particularly hard?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I used to love the old SRP/EGP and Megs #16

Renault paint isn't hard at all I would have said.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Renault paint is actually very very hard for machining. Most will have hard clearcoat on them.

Product wise, what's your budget? Do you use a glaze inder your wax.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Agreed^^^ Clio clear coat can be a b**ch to correct due to its hardness.

I have been using Britemax Black Max, a glaze very similar to Black Hole - nice product to use by hand, and comes in fairly well priced.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Just adding to that- I am loving Glasur again, went off it for a while - a joy to work with, very durable and can be topped with Acrylic Jet or Field Glaze.

These were taken yesterday (before the rain) and today after a good down pour.
IMHO nothing beads as good as Glasur.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325457908.963274.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325457908.963274.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 65
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325457929.549835.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325457929.549835.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 48

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've had 2 pots of Glasur and it's simply immense. No wax will ever sheet water like Glasur.

It's the best pound for pound wax Zymol sell.

It has some gassing issues that I don't like but for the sub £100 wax category nothing comes close.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I had it gas on me on a BMW, Lotus Carlton and another darker car- hence I fell out of love with it, but have only owned this LY 182 for a month and decided to retry it and it's been spot on.
Maybe the fact the car is lighter in colour and I can't spot it so easily.
I gave it a good going over with HD Cleanse first which helped with the bonding.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Superb choice under Glasur. Luxury waxes deserve good bases.

Lusso revitalising creme is a great alternative to hd cleanse.

Oh and if you haven't buy some Prima Amigo. The slickest glaze i've ever had on my car.

172 Cup
Just been browsing on Detailing World and the Dodo Bouncer 22 has some pretty good write-ups. I reckon I might give that a try.
From what I've read it doesn't seem to work better with any particular colour so might go well on Mondial Blue.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Can I just throw in the mix - AutoSmarts own WAX
You should be able to grab a pot FOR £25 from your local rep.

However I know nothing of Dodo Bouncer 22, not really a big fan of Dodo waxes.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Just been reading a few threads on B22' you are right it does get some mega reviews, and won't break the bank to try it out.

If you do get some, would you be so kind to write up a detailed review for us here on CS?

172 Cup
Just been reading a few threads on B22' you are right it does get some mega reviews, and won't break the bank to try it out.

If you do get some, would you be so kind to write up a detailed review for us here on CS?

Not a problem. If I go with it I'll get plenty of photos and a write-up.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
CYC- out of stock!

It's become very popular recently, I like to think I had something to do with it's recent surge in popularity. Best glaze on the market by far.

Just been browsing on Detailing World and the Dodo Bouncer 22 has some pretty good write-ups. I reckon I might give that a try.
From what I've read it doesn't seem to work better with any particular colour so might go well on Mondial Blue.

It's not going to last the longest, it's popular because it's "homemade" almost so the feel it will give applying ect.. will be nice but durability wise won't be near good enough.

Can I just throw in the mix - AutoSmarts own WAX
You should be able to grab a pot FOR £25 from your local rep.

However I know nothing of Dodo Bouncer 22, not really a big fan of Dodo waxes.

AS wax is very good as is Autoglym's HD wax, super durable, cheap and doesn't look crap like 476.

If you're looking to spend similar to collinites get AG HD, comes with 2 applicators and a MF on Amazon think it's £25 delivered. :) Think of it as an upmarket 476.

172 Cup
It's not going to last the longest, it's popular because it's "homemade" almost so the feel it will give applying ect.. will be nice but durability wise won't be near good enough.

It sounds good but on the other hand I get the idea from some posts on DW that it's a case of the emperors new clothes with some products. Certain things seem to get bigged up just because they're made by certain companies or because certain individuals like them.
Whether or not they're any better is a different story altogether.

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
i use dodo juice on mine as a top wax then megs clay kit to get the crap off, works for me!!
P1010484.jpg

Going to give it a full detail when summer comes :)

Not a 320d
I've had 2 pots of Glasur and it's simply immense. No wax will ever sheet water like Glasur.

It's the best pound for pound wax Zymol sell.

It has some gassing issues that I don't like but for the sub £100 wax category nothing comes close.

What about collintes?

LY 182 FF CUPPED
All Colly waxes are good and have their place when it comes to durability.
But it the looks department they don't cut it with the likes of Zymol, Celeste, SV, AG HD.

£ for llb I personally think the best wax out there is Glasur, with AG HD a cheaper option.
I have R222 + R222 100% Carnauba for when I want "Bling"
R222 over Glasur is something I haven't yet tried but think might work.

Not a 320d
They all look the same to me. Its about gloss retention and durbility. Best of show was piss easy to use. I got a pot when VAT was down so it was £120 but I certainly wouldnt pay the asking price for it now. The fresh waxed look lasted a long time, but it wouldnt bead after 1-2 washes. Still sheeted really well for about 6 months. Glasur beads and sheets the best. I did a side by side comparason between the 2 and Glasur appeard to have a more blingly look to it. it was also a lot smoother and the water behaviour was better from glasur. I agree that Glasur is the best pound for pound wax out there.

Vics red is great, although the water behaviour isnt quite up to scratch IMO. Certainly looks the part tho.

Zymol Carbon is another of my favorites, In fact I prefer it to Glasur on the price. I find I can get more applications from a Carbon pot than Glasur too - Glasur is so soft!, and seeing as I re wax every month to two months just because I like to carbon is the one I pick up. Ive had 2 pots of both carbon and Glasur, and wont be replacing Glasur as Carbon fits my bill. Great beading and water behaviour. I think Glasur obviously beats it durability wise but for someone wanting to wax regularly Id stick with Carbon.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Fair post Tobs. Zymol actually robbed themselves. Look at the carnauba content!

I've got to say though Shield is the dog's balls apart from price. Good all rounder.

Not a 320d
So I hear!

All about the Gtechniq C1 now though, doubt ill ever touch my waxes again. Just applied some to my front quater today so we shall see how it does. Im pretty sick of the durability wolfs gives on high pickup areas.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
C1 is on another level but it's a super sealant so it should be.

Nothing sheets like C1. Nothing.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Not played with any sealants yet (paintwork wise)- how fussy are they to apply?

Plan to correct this current car in the spring - perhaps I should go down the sealant route.
Tried wolfs on my wheels a while back- didn't rate it one single bit- still have to scrub the brake dust off as before.

Not a 320d
Nano sealants are piss easy, its just the process takes agers because it needs fully decontaminating and youre going to need bare paintwork, so no glazes to hide defects. Paintwork needs to be 100% clean. That means de tar, a spray with Iron X and a clay. Then a polish with machine if needed.

Wolfs is good but not what I would consider. I assume you didnt decontaminate the wheels? You need to remove them and then use ironX, clay, IPA wipedown, then apply the sealant. Gtechniq C5 is the only thing I will ever consider again. A blast with the pressure washer removes 95% of the dirt. I spray a very light mix of Gtechniq Gwash and water in a spray over the wheels and then aggitate with a brush. Then blast off. perfect wheels.

I had major issues with my mums alloys - staining and pitting within a week of cleaning thoroughly that I couldnt remove without Iron X. Now ive got C5 on, the stains are still there as is the build up, but its so easy to remove. After a wash the wheels are perfect again.

I prefer waxes to your average sealant though. But sealants generally last longer.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I am kind of in the same boat as you, and that I like "waxing my b**ch" every couple of weeks.
I couldn't just wash a car, dry it down and leave it- it would feel incomplete.

For my quick no fuss top ups I use R222, it's so easy to apply and can afford stupid mistakes like over rub onto the plastics.
I might grab a pot of Carbon and have a try and see how that fairs.

"f**k super sealants".

Moving on, I am still yet to experience a better starter wax than Nattys Blue. For £15 it wipes the floor with AGHD.

Yeah still beading mate, I haven't topped it up with another layer either. It comes up in a much deeper shine after each wash now too.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Very good expect nothing less from HD tbh.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
it's a shame that HD wax isn't a fraction easier to use as I think it would have far more followers.

It is a panel at a time wax but it's so durable like 476 so it falls down in useability sadly.

Good wax though.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I found it pretty bomb proof really, even if it were over applied. a little easier to spread and I reckon I would have got another pot

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I like to think of it as a really good version of 476. Can't go wrong for the money!

I found it absolutely fine to use. A bit of patience goes a long way I think. Did the mrs car today so will be interesting to see how long that lasts, lots of motorway miles etc. Clayed it as well, the amount of rubbish on the bonnet was horrendous!!