ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 172

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Was going to keep this quiet but after a weeks work and some time collecting parts im too excited and need to spill the beans LOL

anyway, the 172 after 5years and 45k miles of hard driving was starting to feel a little tired, still pulling stronger than ever with the 182 manifold and decatted k-tec system i recently fitted but there was play in the steering wheel, tracking was out after i hit a pot hole, needed 2 driveshafts and brakes were starting to feel a bit in need of a fluid change, cambelt due etc so i decided it was time to take it off the road for winter and get a runaround, so thats where the wee dci65 comes in!

so anyway, went into renault and ordered the following...
N/S Driveshaft
O/S Driveshaft
N/S Track Rod End
O/S Track Rod End
N/S Bottom Arm
O/S Bottom Arm
Aux Belt Kit
Cam Belt Kit

that was a hefty bill but worth it! im now just looking at getting the cambelt tools for it so i can change the belts.

Managed to sort out a swap + cash for a Angel Works matched inlet manifold thats also polished up! and also collected a Cup rear spoiler from ebay, along with a set of PTFE manifold gaskets

The funds have ran out for this month so im just fitting all of the above but next month im ordering H&R Coilovers for it along with K-Tec solid top mounts, having the rear cup spoiler painted along with a respray on the front bumper and bonnet

also planned is a set of HiSpec 300mm 4 pots, re locate the battery to the boot to do away with the 90 degree bend (similar setup to the clio cup racecars), all 4 wheels refurbed and possibly stripping the full thing out and fitting a set of buckets and harneses but not 100% sure on that one yet!

heres some pics so far not brilliant but loads more to come when i find the cable for the camera lol.....
26092008067.jpg

26092008068.jpg

26092008066.jpg

26092008063.jpg

22092008306.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
bit more progress today...

fitted both driveshafts, both track rod ends, both bottom arms and removed the front brakes ready for the 4 pots :)

fitted my cup spoiler to see how it looks, awesome! just needs painted now.

the rear bumper was removed and sold as i no longer wanted an exhaust cut out so cleaned up all behind that and under all the wheel arches, the ammount of grit etc i removed was unbeleivable, nice to see the arch liners are doing their job :rolleyes: lol

recessed k-tec back box is removed and for sale, just awating the stealth replacement (to go with the k-tec centre section and decat thats already fitted)

ordered some gearbox oil from opie oils ready to go in when it gets here!

thats all for now :p

Audi TT 3.2 V6
I saw that cup spoiler on the bay, i was gonna bid last minute for it but forgot about it and went out. Was well gutted. Was in Artic blue as well lol

Bet the car will look tasty once its all done.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah thats the one lol, even in arctic it looks awesome haha wont be getting painted till the full cars going in feburary to have the front end etc done

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
bit more progress today...
05102008090.jpg

Received my new PTFE Gaskets, not got my matched and polished inlets get that i got from a member on here so cant fit them yet but heres a pic...
05102008080.jpg

The Guys at opieoils.co.uk supplyed me with my gearbox oil and also some stickers :p....
05102008079.jpg

05102008096.jpg

Thanks to N2grafix (www.n2grafix.co.uk) for suplying me with this awesome RS172 sticker
05102008078.jpg

05102008105.jpg

Gearbox oil drained...
05102008095.jpg

Cup Spoiler test fitted....
05102008098.jpg

05102008100.jpg

stripped the rear and cleaned out the spare wheel well as it was full of grit etc...
05102008101.jpg

Anthracite renault diamond (cheers mish!)
05102008107.jpg

and just some random images including some of my winter bus hehe...
05102008097.jpg

05102008102.jpg

05102008104.jpg

05102008106.jpg

05102008082.jpg

05102008087.jpg

05102008086.jpg

and lastly the next job (dreading it!!)...
05102008108.jpg

Ordered a new front reg plate that fits the recess perfectly :) (from fancyplates.com)
and on thursday ordering...
H&R Coilovers
K-Tec Solid Top Mounts

Civic Vtec y0
Should be excellent when its done and back on the road mate! Just out of interest, how much was the DCi if you dont mind me askin?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Should be excellent when its done and back on the road mate! Just out of interest, how much was the DCi if you dont mind me askin?

payed £1800 for it including 1yrs road tax (£35), 10 months mot, 141k, no service history (had an oil filter stamped march 08 though so must have some sort of history!)

awesome little car for the money though, can have a shot of it if you like see what you think.

Fletcher said:
Nice project.

I'm thinking about fitting a 182 manifold to mine next year.
honestly mate i cant recomend it enough, that with the decat made a massive difference, the extra pull mid range is awesome! in my opinion transformed it from being quite quick to being proper quick thru the gears when really going for it

Civic Vtec y0
payed £1800 for it including 1yrs road tax (£35), 10 months mot, 141k, no service history (had an oil filter stamped march 08 though so must have some sort of history!)

awesome little car for the money though, can have a shot of it if you like see what you think.

Sounds good mate, no history isnt too good but for the money you cant complain. Wasnt hintin at gettin a shot but if your offerin then aye lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i thought stickers were a nice touch! too ill put a few more under there just not sure what ones yet lol possibly just one of the new k-tec ones in the centre since its a full k-tec exhaust system.

wheels are going into williams powder coating in falkirk soon for a refurb :)

EP3 Civic Type R
What a lovely project this is matey! Lot of hard work gone into it

PS- dash strips will be on there way to you ASAP... finally... Sorry for the delay- my dad dropped one on the floor and let's just say all hell broke loose. After wrapping it round his head I had to rub down part and re-paint! They'll look great in there :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Mish, no problemo like i said no rush :p

172Ben, couldnt tell you ive not started the engine since ive removed it, cant see it making much difference though!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Not much been happening with this lately, been waiting on a few parts coming and some more cash lol got 2 deliverys this week though :D:D

Rear bumper (sold mine so i could go for k-tec stealth instead of k-tec recessed)
24102008158.jpg

Polished AWT Matched Inlets and fuel rail guard (thanks CHRISK172+)
24102008143.jpg

24102008144.jpg

24102008157.jpg

24102008146.jpg

24102008156.jpg

bumper being painted soon and inlets going on as soon as i get my finger out and change the cambelt!

BMW M135i
Looking good, cambelt isn't hard just fiddly due to lack of space don't even think you'll be torquing anything back up down there FT ftw. And cranked and ratchet spanners are essential tools. Also you want another bottle of box oil as it takes 3.1l and you get 3.2 or so in in my experience with the car jacked up.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
cars all back together, belt not done yet as didnt have the correct tools they were for an F4R megane/Laguna, gonna price up the tools or get someone to do it.

matched inlets, thermal gaskets are fitted and look awesome!!!..

27112008223.jpg

27112008222-1.jpg

27112008221.jpg

27112008224.jpg

now just needs....
k-tec backbox fitted
Back bumper and Cup Spoiler painted
Front bumper and bonnet resprayed to tidy it up
coilovers fitted
300mm Hi-Spec 4pots fitted
insured and taxed

then the fun starts :D:D

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
not yet too busy saving for christmas lol. its going in to the bodyshop in january to have the cup spoiler, rear bumper, front bumper and bonnet resprayed and RS Tuner ordered then its just a case of getting coilovers and brakes for it and getting the thing insured and taxed!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
well we just got this running, insured and taxed tonight and got it out a quick blast, its got a blue cup spoiler and back and white rear bumper on it so didnt want to take it to far looking like a tit, but its going into the bodyshop this week for paint! but anyway.... all i can say is what a difference with all the new bits, the car feels mega tight and brand new, still to go in and get the tracking and alignment done with new bottom arm bushes and track rod ends but it still feels amazing!

and oh my god its quick, thats probably a mixture of the new mods plus the fact ive not driven it in 6 months but god its quick! lol some pics and vids to come when its back from paint :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
na no 4 pots or coilovers yet i ran short of cash when i bumped dci in the snow so im running a bit behind on my plans lol was hoping to get the k-tec ITB kit for it but may have to wait to next year, or may just leave it as it is dunno yet