ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Shitbox 172 (In Need Of A Good Tidy Up)

3 series, 172 Cup
Looks fantastic mate, was looking forward to seeing you use the red wheels though but I guess I'll have to wait haha as with swapping the shell it seems the most logical decision apart from just selling the parts and buying another 172 (apart from you getting it cheap in the first place haha).
Honestly though mate I wish you the best of luck, looks like a massive build it also would be something I would love to do and I think you owe your mate a few bottles of Irn Bru!

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
just want to know, when you had the car in bits, subframe off etc,

why you never even botherd to give it a good clean, i would of had

the subframe powder coated, cleaned and painted a few other things to,

each to there own though.

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
Comes down to money. And time. Which is limited just now. The bay was clean tbh.

As for his red wheels I have them on the van.

Monaco 172
cheers

its been said i think twice now back in the thread.

Sport shell was damaged. lots wrong with it etc engine needed overhauled so rather put it back in a bent shell i put it all back in the 1.2 shell with some better parts added.

so essentially i have a straight shell and fresh parts for my future plans.

aaaah its all so much clearer now, like i said i fail to see why lol

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Looks fantastic mate, was looking forward to seeing you use the red wheels though but I guess I'll have to wait haha as with swapping the shell it seems the most logical decision apart from just selling the parts and buying another 172 (apart from you getting it cheap in the first place haha).
Honestly though mate I wish you the best of luck, looks like a massive build it also would be something I would love to do and I think you owe your mate a few bottles of Irn Bru!

Cheers mate, yeah i owe him a few £££ after doing it for me.

as for the red wheels they will be going on when its finished, only because they have good tyres

hes a pic of them on his van

IMG_0328.jpg

Fantastic job fella, can't wait to see some pics of the finished article :) good luck for Monday :)

cheers mate appreciate it

just want to know, when you had the car in bits, subframe off etc,

why you never even botherd to give it a good clean, i would of had

the subframe powder coated, cleaned and painted a few other things to,

each to there own though.

cheers, i would have loved to. but as mick said really didn't have time on our hands to send things to get powder coated.

and im not doing a lot of work on the car as im busy with work most of the time (also lack of knowledge)

Paint also costs money witch i don't have in abundance atm with this project and lots of parts to buy.

aaaah its all so much clearer now, like i said i fail to see why lol

Good Luck :)

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Shes Alive :D

th_IMG_0463.jpg

Credit where its due to mick for the hard work he has put in. its running but we have a problem, no throttle response and it goes straight into limp mode when started. Any ideas?

going to get it on the computer asap and see what the problem is. but probs not until next week some time, so have to do some tidying up in other places i the mean time.

some pics of how it stands atm.

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Cheers for looking

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of minor updates:

Got my carbon fiber dash strips on:

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Carbon fiber Clio badge came:

IMG_0495.jpg

New painted Gearknob

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Front bumper on with 3/4 plate

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Still have problems as the car has not been on the computer yet to see what the problem is, Just goes into limp mode as soon as its started up. Any ideas?

cheers

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
lookin good man :cool: LOL at the old shell in the background :rasp:

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate, yeah that will be gone soon hopefully.

just going to take it outside chop the roof off, keep the roof for whenever i have cash to swap them over then chop the rest of the shell up into bits, sling it in the trailer and take it to the scrappy.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
small updates. should have another couple things done tomorrow but just waiting for the computer to see whats wrong with it.

Put my Renault Sport door strips on.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

and a pic of the tow strap closer up.

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

hopefully get the side skirts on tomorrow and my smooth bullets.

Been looking at getting a pair of Bimarco Futuras as well with renault sport stitching.
and hopefully get some more carbon bits on soon as well.

cheers

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
another small update.

put my smooth pearl black bullets on

photo-7.jpg

photo-6-1.jpg

photo-8.jpg

and now my skirts as well

before

photo-3.jpg

after

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

just bought gear oil for her as well so will get that sorted

then new wheel bearing mot and tax :)

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Project s**tbox 172 (In Need Of A Good Tidy Up)

not a great deal of progress but i am hoping to have it on the road soon.

needs the wheel bearing fitted, speedo sensor and a new accelerator pedal. then i can have it mot'd and will tax it.

so for now got some carbon fiber bits on her.

fog light surrounds:

image-15.jpg

image-13.jpg

image-12.jpg

Hazard panel:

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

and a couple pics of the front.

image-8.jpg

image-11.jpg

got some more carbon bits on order as well.

just cant wait to get it on the road now.

oh and ignore the paintwork, im going to have the car either wrapped or painted at a later stage.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Project s**tbox 172 (In Need Of A Good Tidy Up)

Not a huge update but the cars getting somewheree should hopefully fingers crossed be on the road in the next couple of weeks.

Had my coilovers fitted and anti roll bar:

4842FEAF-orig.jpg

CF97FD07-orig.jpg

4A8D22FD-orig.jpg

They are just raceland ones for now the same as the Ktec kit, and a whiteline anti roll bar.

Having my spoiler painted this week and getting her taxed and mot'd

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Well finally on the road all mot'd taxed and insured :D

Today I cleaned my winter wheels fitted with fresh budgets, while my td1.2s go in for a refurb and new tyres over Xmas

Also had to raise the front today because of some rubbing, might raise the back tomorrow as I think it's catching the arches and raise the front slightly more just for the fact it's still far too low.

Heres some pics:

D9F2D082-orig.jpg

EA6428BE-orig.jpg

E8445940-orig.jpg

6580BB69-orig.jpg

17CBB220-orig.jpg

729188C2-orig.jpg

Im not a big fan of the wheels can't wait to get my td's back on there all fresh.

It needs a desperate clean witch I will do later or tomorrow, and as you can see it has no spoiler as ive misplaced the bolts for it :(

And I need a new pas hose as it burst last night so another thing on the list, but I will get there in the end.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Found the bolts for my spoiler in the glove box, so put it on and took a couple of mega rubbishy iPhone pics

DCDC8D37-orig.jpg

91C2944D-orig.jpg

Still needs painted it's been quickly rattle can'd.

Will get it painted and I have a brand new brakelight to go on

Enjoy

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
so tonight i feel physicly sick :(

was going to take the clio out, just put £20 in the tank to go burn and pulled out the petrol station when .... crunchh the most horrible noise i have ever heard especialy when you are just about to enjoy a long awaited drive.

so this is the damage :(

IMG_1264.jpg

and how it ended going home on the back of a truck to its new home untill its fixed the garage ..

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

and lay to rest..

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

looks like an expensive fix, gutted is an absaloute understatment a drink is in order tonight to cheer me up i think.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
s**t man! whats broke? Dephaser? How fucked will the engine be?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
think its the power steering pully thats shagged dont quote me on that as i really dont know yet what the damage is.

but im gutted :(

if its mega damage like i need a rebuild and its stupidly damaged i wont be puting a renault engine back in and it will be off the road for a year or so. but lets hope it doesnt come to that!

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
after inspection looks like im needing a new power steering pump, new pully and belt for it :(

so looks like a nice few £££s

Renault ownership... worth it? ive spent a good £1500 on this the past month not including this.

should have bought a decent car!!

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Lol tell me about it mate, just feel like I'm stuck with it after spending so much on it.

I couldn't bare to part with it after only having driven it for 4 miles after its been built back up.

They are good when their going!

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
not much of an update on the car as such, still hoping to get it back for the end of the week.

buttt i recieved my carbon fibre door handle surrounds from Chris powell on here. awesome work chris :D !!

some pics:

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

enjoy

BMW 320D
just looked through how it all began and wow uv done wonders! i would be absolutely gutted if that happened to me good luck tho dude! hope it all goes well for ya :)