ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Tame. Renault Clio 172

Focus RS Mk1
sound system has arrived:

Image018.gif

Focus RS Mk1
only the Hu and amps are pioneer.

lol, wont be fitting it for a while got a couple of other projects on the go at the minute. so probably after FCS

Focus RS Mk1
Been a while since the last update but been doing other projects.

Anyway, since the last update ive fitted my new HU, steering stalk controls still functional! (£35 for the leads for that!!!)

IMG_0395.jpg

with remote and 8Gb flash Drive, loving this faciltiy! So much better than ipod/cd changers etc! forgive the dirty car, havent hoovered it this week yet.

IMG_0396.jpg

Also all my wiring arrived. RCA's and remote wires were put in when the HU went in so dont have to take it out again. Saves a lot of hassle!

IMG_0397.gif

Also, been in touch with Bic about some carbon goodies. we came to a deal in which i could help him out with something so i got a right steal on these items, he even fitted them for me, perfect:

Carbon mirros:

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

Carbon Fog light surrounds:

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

All the carbon bits are replacement parts too, so no additonal weight :)
And the car overall, so far:

IMG_0393.jpg

Thats it for now, Install is starting on wednesday so updates soon after :)
Hope you like, thanks to the streamline carbon team :)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely :) Are the fog surrounds just glued in where the previous ones were or do you have to cut the fixings in the bumper away?

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
car is looking mint mate. i like it alot guna be nice when its all finished

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice work, i'm a carbon freak like your self lol, the no. plates look ace, gonna have to get some :cool: , same head unit as mine, cant fault it for the money, especially since you still get a cd player even though my Usb drive gets rid of the bloody cds sliding all over the place lol

Need to get your self some carbon interior strips like on my 172 :cool:

Got coilovers coming this week too :D , how you finding the ride? hopefully should have the Fk konig's coming, adjustable damping just in case it is to hard, was gonna get the same as yours but since i get the Fk konigs for the same money thought i best get them :)

Focus RS Mk1
yeah interior strips are on the list, waiting for streamline to produce them :)

loving the HU, its spot on. Not great in terms of adjustability but im going to be runnig an Graphic EQ so the settings will become redundant when thats in. I knew that when i bought it.

Coilover are spot on, quite stuff yes, but i dont mind that, very crashy on uneven road, back road n lanes etc!

normal roads its fine!

As for the fog light surrounds the do need to be bonded on, but the stock items are clipped into place. We used double sided tale to obtained the right positions in depth and used bonding stuff to stick them in place, taped over to hold in there, left for a day and it was sorteed :) easy peasy

cheers for the comments

Focus RS Mk1
System update, can appreciate a load of ICE isnt to most people taste at the moment but never really one to follow trends. This is my daily driver and comfort, useability is the main concern.

Proposed layout:

Image000-10.gif

Have the put the eq somewhere too yet, havent found a decent place!
Then the power cable, 4 gauge, was an utter shite to get through the bung in the bulk head but here's what i ended up with:

powercable1.gif

Image002-9.jpg

Proper battery connections and proper gold plated terminals:

Image001-9.gif

Image003-8.jpg

Thats all for now, the fabrication starts tonight :)

Focus RS Mk1
Small update:

Got the wiring fed in the rear, under the rear seat for now:

Wiring.gif

The bit of 18mm MDF we used:

Wood.gif

The base made:

base.gif

the side walls made, (although new layout is looking like we wont need these!)

Sides.gif

Think im going to be gettin a new amp, rather than the two pioneer's im gonna go for an audison. shouldve done this in the first place.

More updates next weekend.

Focus RS Mk1
Pioneer GM-5300T
Pioneer GM-7300M

I Bought these two amps on the 3rd June 2008. They were planned to go into my clio but after initial design idea's we've discovered they are going to be too big, dimensional wise. I want everything as compact as possible for the boot. Decided to go onto a single amp.
Power output they are spot on, which is a real shame as they are gret a looking set of amps and would look good in any installation.

Both amps are in 100% brand new condition, taken from boxes and wrappers only to check that they are all ok and for measuring purposoes. Back in boxes and wrappers as new.
Have never been touched with any wires or any terminals distrubed. As i say, literally from the factory. Bought from car audi direct with reciept to prove. Both still have the insturctions and mono amp has its extra bass control output that can be adjusted anywhere in the car you desire.

Pioneer GM -5300T 2channel amp: Price new was £99.99

Maximum Output Power: 2 x 250 Watt or 1 x 760 Watt (4 ohms)
Continuous power output (RMS): 14.4V (20Hz-20kHz/4ohms): 2 x 125 W/1 x 380W (Bridged)
14.4V (20Hz-20kHz/2ohms): 2 x 190 W
Input level control: 400 mV - 6.5 V
Distortion: 0,015 %
S/N ratio: 95 dB
High Voltage Input Capability: 400 mV - 6.5
Max. current consumption (A/4ohms): 30 A
Chassis size (W x H x D): 300 x 60 x 334 mm
Unit weight: 3.9 kg

Pioneer GM-7300M mono amp: Price new was £124.99

Mono channel capability 1 x 800 (2 Ω) W or 1 x 500 W (4 Ω) (Max. Power)
Continuous output power: 1 x 360 W (2 Ω) or 1 x 250 W (4 Ω)
Load impedance capability (2 — 8 Ω)
Variable LPF( -12 dB/Oct): 40 - 240 Hz
High Voltage Input capability (400 mV — 6.5 V)
PWM regulated MOSFET power supply
Input level/gain control
Load impedance capability 2 - 8 Ohm
Bass Boost 50 Hz - 0/6/9/12 dB (Remote)

Both amps look identical apart from the writing on them, they are identical in size also.

I will post these both for £200 to your door.
Delivery will be around £10-15 due to size n wieght, which i will take on.

They are still under pioneer warranty as you'd expect being brand new. You can have a copy of my reciept if you wish to prove their purchase date should you encouter any problems.
I can arrange to show them working if you desire.

Any more questions then contact me via PM or by these means:

07925 792674
spendleb@jaguar.com
Thanks
Sean
Image018.gif

Image000-10.gif

Focus RS Mk1
amps no longer for sale!

rainbows going in the front :) 230SLX i think they were, although been a while since i looked at them! lol

mirrors are from streamline carbon chap :) Bic is your man on here for them!

Focus RS Mk1
have had the sub working for a day now. just wearing her in gently. pleasantly suprised. box is only 0.5 Cuft. for an 8 Inch sub it sure does punch, cant wait to get it all sat properly and finished. not long now!

pics tomorrow

Focus RS Mk1
New Update:

Debadged rear, Renault sport now gone:

Image000-11.jpg

Had all the tracking and alignment setup, full geo check. £90 not bad :)
Car feels better now, turn in is sharper, steering is lighter. An overall improvement:

Image001-10.jpg

The install continued, making the basic box, only an 8" sub so 0.5cuft required, tiny!

Image002-10.gif

All sealed together, once this dried we fibreglassed the inside for that extra bit of strength.

Image003-9.gif

Cut the hole for the terminal and sealed it in:

Image004-8.gif

Cut hole for the sub:

Image007-5.gif

Made the wiring for inside the box, proper terminals here:

Image005-6.gif

Image006-6.gif

trial Fitted:

Image008-5.gif

Quick spray job on top of the box, this wont be visable though, fitted the sub and screwed it down:

Image009-4.gif

Image010-5.gif

Then realised we'd forgetten the stud in the spare wheel well, so sub back out n drill hole in bottom:

Image011-5.gif

No pictures of the nest bit, put the box into the car and covered and stuffed the whole full of silicone sealant. let it go off and put the sub back in :)

Left with this:

Image012-5.gif

Wired in the mono amp on a temporary basis just to start running the sub in. Amp will be mounted against rear seats in a nice way and wiring wont be seen at all. As i say, just a temp fixing to get a feel for the sub.

For an 8" its truely awesome. The aim of this system for me was to have a system that sounds top end for as little cash as possible. My original targer was £500 but ive spent the extra money on proper terminals for wiring etc. where it counts.

I dont want the system bass heavy at all. i want to get in the car, turn on the tunes and appreciate the sound of it rather than just bass which my past systems have been focused on. This 8" sure packs a nice little punch, can drop a fair bit, although nothing compared to my two old 12" JL W6's!

More progress next weekend :)

Focus RS Mk1
I use a place about 20mins from me called Northampton wheels n Tyres.

Excellent place to go. expensive for most things but the service is so good, waiting rooms have leather sofa's, air con, free drinks, sky tv, magazines, playstation etc.

Not your normal grubby tyre place, its immaculate. Plus i know the guy who runs it so usually he'l sort me out with free fitting if i go for tyres.

They gave me a full print out of all my old and new settings, took me under the car to look at a few small issues i should know about.

Would recommend them to anyone, esp for £90 too :)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Looking good mate, not sure on the de-badge though, i pay'd to get my badges back lol, £90 seems fairly steep to me, thought camber & tracking would be around £30 then of course you can play with ride height, damping etc your self, may be wrong :S what exactly did they set-up for £90 although it may have been £30 then they wack £60 on for the "free drinks", leather seats & aircon :rasp:

Focus RS Mk1
lol, no its a full geometry check up and sort out. camber, caster, toe, tracking, alignments etc etc!

usually tracking is about £30. i have a full print out at home that shows all the angles before n after. I think Mark fish does this for about £200 although dont quote me!

Focus RS Mk1
Small install update, had an hour or so on it saturday so got a little more done. but not entirely happy, still undecided if i want the amps to be seen or not. also if the amp rack should be on the same angle as the rear seats or vertical...not sure!

anyway...the pics:

Amp removed n replaced with EQ, and back peice made:

Image000-12.gif

Amps screwed into place:

Image001-11.gif

Proper connections:

Image002-11.gif

Image003-10.gif

Wired up on the sub side:

Image004-9.gif

Close up:

Image005-7.gif

all i'll say is im 100% happy with the wiring now, everything has a proper crimped connection on, earths are spot on, just waiting on my distributor so i can hook up the 2 channel amp.

Only thing I am now disaapointed with is that me being a bass head at heart i want more than what the 8" can give me! lol, but i shall continue down this route until its all complete then asses the siutaion after :) sounds nice so far!

Vw caddy tdi
Love the pioneer stuff especially the head unit looks mint! what model did you buy and how much?? Doh jst edited found it is compatible with stalk conrolls

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Firstly you said u dont want it bass heavy, now you saying you a bass head, lol. Make ya mind up.

172 cup
Firstly you said u dont want it bass heavy, now you saying you a bass head, lol. Make ya mind up.

+1

Hertz and audison stuff is amazing! iv got that pioneer hu, deh-p6000ub. have you tried it with an Ipod? Its great because you can scroll through the songs and stuff using the wheel.

BTW are you gonna have a false floor over the amps and stuff?

Focus RS Mk1

If you read it properly you'l read that firstly the idea of this system is to sound great and not to be bass heavy...which so far it is spot on for the target.

but now ive listened to it for a while ive got the bug again and the idea is floating around of having more...but as i said above i'll stick with this and see how it goes!

So yes im a bass head at heart but i wanted to try something new..rather than just banging in a load of JL gear and hoping that is hurts my ears!

Im well impressed by the std door speakers too. just having them setup properly off the HU is proving to be a good temp measure until i fit the new ones in the doors :)

Focus RS Mk1

+1

Hertz and audison stuff is amazing! iv got that pioneer hu, deh-p6000ub. have you tried it with an Ipod? Its great because you can scroll through the songs and stuff using the wheel.

BTW are you gonna have a false floor over the amps and stuff?

yes there will be a flase floor, will hopefully make a start on that tomorrow, weather depending :)

Focus RS Mk1
UPDATE:

had some more time on the install, slight change of plan with the amps but will all become clear in the pictures. First of all, stuffed the sub box:

Image006-7.gif

Then around the box, also helps keep it still:

Image007-6.gif

Then under the base, also stop it bouncing, for £5.99 its spot on from BnQ!

Image008-6.gif

Then the base was layed on with two supports either side, eq screwed down:

Image009-5.gif

Then the wiring sorted:

power and earth:

Image010-6.gif

Signal in and out:

Image011-6.gif

Eq power, earth, remote and delayed remote:

Image012-6.gif

Onto the top peice, cut out the hole in the floor for Eq access, this will be trimmed with the rest and not visable but needs to be accessable so couldnt hide it completely. Also cut the hole for the sub, making sure its in the right place!

Image000-13.gif

Image001-12.gif

Image005-8.gif

The amps i was going to have on view through perspex windwows but as this is a stealthy install I decided to just keep them out of sight, which leaves me with this:

Image004-10.gif

Image014-4.gif

Just need to sort my trim out and then make a start on the front end! fairly happy with it. will be happier once its all trimmed n setup n i can leave it alone! but sounds good so far!

Also removed my right front door speaker (std item) and the cone has seperated from the rim! that would explain the rattle then! lol

Ph1 172 + Combo van
what did u use to stuff in the box, loft insulation? and does it make much of a difference?

Focus RS Mk1
yeah, you can buy proper "wadding" but its very very similar to this in a way. Not a huge difference no. I had plenty of the stuff so thought id try it. easily removable if it causes problems :)

Focus RS Mk1
trimmed:

Image002-13.gif

Image003-12.gif

Just realised in those pictures te carpet looks really grey, i assure you its not as light as that, actually a fairly good match considering!

Focus RS Mk1
Car passed its MOT today, flying colours! not one advisory, so im chuffed, was with a reualt dealer too so expected them to find something!

A view from the rear of the install if your interested. this is the all new wiring setup. just need to get my wiring tidy clips and ties onto it as a finishing touch and im happy :)

Image002-14.gif

Image003-13.gif

this setup is much better because before i had the wiring in akward positions and i had to remove it all if i want to take out the amps. now i only need to disconnect the main power and earth from the car and that it :)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice work mate, have made it all very tidy, bet it sounds ace :cool: , sod having all that weight though :rasp: