ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Tame. Renault Clio 172

Focus RS Mk1
Hi all. Thought its about time I started a project thread on cliosport.

Relativly new to the site although been around for a month or so now.

Picked up this clio from a member of this forum back in March. Some of you may remember Nick or the car itself. Got the car for the nice sum of £4999 (well it was 5k but I found a quid under the seat!)

Which for the condition and stats I was very happy. Was on 28188 miles when I went to view the car. Drove a nice healthy 260 ish round trip. Which meant I picked it up there and then. Was in mint condition with only a couple of minor things, one tiny ding in the door and small bumper scuff. And thats me being very picky!

For my daily driver I use a Ford KA 56 reg. Good little run about. Ideal for chucking stuff in the back and not worrying about it! So the Clio is currently my weekend toy but will (in about 4-5 months time) become my daily driver. KA is going back to Ford then.

My previous toy was this saxo, some may recognise it:

A nice n simple Supercharged VTS MK1 Saxo. All out track car. 252bhp 850kgs ish. So pretty wild. The Clio however will be a different wolrd away from this. Hence the Title, project Tame! It will be used day to day so has to be practical and very useable for my 36mile a day round trip to work.

Now then onto the Clio, below is how she was when i picked it up. After a little clean from myself of course:

Had a nice basic spec already, lowered on Eibach Prolines, Team dynamic 1.2 16's and a 100% standard well maintained engine.

So onto the modding, first up, after the clean was an ITG panel filter, not too noisy but a slight growl and most of all retains the standard air box:

Next up was a Carbon Engine cover courtesy of another forum member:

One of my mates has a Clio 172 that he is getting rid of, he offered me his Ktec stealth exhaust system for £150 which i took. Also offered the decat but I decided against it for MOT purposes.

Gives a nice little tick over burble with a little extra tone through the revs but nothing major. Has a slightly dented centre section which im thinking of removing in place of a straight through pipe but not decided yet.

So with the breathing sorted i turned my attention back to the engine bay for a little finishing touch:

Also in the same day i fitted a new carbon splitter that the previous owner, Nick, very kindly sent to me as he bought it but never got it fitted in time. Love this item:

Can just see My KA in the back ground! Beastly!

Thats all for now.

Next on the list of mods is to change the springs for some coilovers and then to sort the stereo situation out, Standard Headunit just doesnt cut it. Ive got my Graphic Equaliser already so small, neat and tidy system will be going in at a later date. Also some silvertec bulbs for the indicators.

Since Ive owned the car ive done the milage home from Leeds, and 3 miles of driving since then!

Cant wait to start using it every day! Let me know your thoughts etc. i'll keep this updated as I go along.

Thanks for looking

Sean

Focus RS Mk1
no Saxo was sold in Feb. Got £6500 for that. so got a nice healthy bank balance and a nice clio. Main reason for getting this car as said above, the KA goes back in 4-5 months. I bought this for when thats goes. I couldve bought later on but chose to buy now as it was exactly what i needed! Saves me rushing around looking for a car too!

M

mini-valver

Looks tidy! Subtle is definately the way to go mate, good luck with it......

Focus RS Mk1
agreed ^^^

exterior wise the car is pretty much sorted, bar another 5-10mm drop on the suspension setup.

The back still needs something imo. looks like its not quite there yet. not sure what it is yet though! maybe debadge it or something like that.

was also thinking of having the roof painted black.

M

mini-valver

A lot of people put the newer style Renault Sport badges on with look good. Theres holes behind all the badges though which is a ball ache.....

Focus RS Mk1
i thought the holes were just behind the clio badge? the RS badge doesnt.

well thats what i read in a few other threads??? maybe wrong though!

just emailed my local bodyshop to see what it would cost to have my roof sprayed black! would be a nice touch I think.

M

mini-valver

The 182 doesnt have holes behind the Renault badge but the 172 does IIRC. Ask someone to photoshop it mate, hard to judge without seeing it. Good to be different without being OTT though for sure.....

Focus RS Mk1
is this the offer you couldnt refuse? just red it in fast car lol :cool:

Lol, some of the quotes in Fast Car are un real!

it was just time to sell up! no reasons for doing so really. just done what i wanted with it. had some fun, spent a whole lot of cash n just moved on really. car was awesome though!

Focus RS Mk1
since the saxo has gathered more interest than the clio, here's a few more pictures. The new owner stripped it down, kept the engine n gbox and sold the shell with a cammed vts lump in it. since then other parts have been sold n stripped etc! such a shame. Engine went into such a crap looking car too!

Anyway...here's how it was when i got rid of it. When it looked its best:

bay1-1.jpg

Focus RS Mk1
Tiny update:

Fk highsport Coilovers ordered (rimstyle) Didnt go for the Konigsports as the adjustable damping wont be used at all. So no need for the extra cash!

Also ordered 1m of 2.5" bore exhaust so i can sort my centre section out! get rid of the dented silencer!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
Tiny update:

Fk highsport Coilovers ordered (rimstyle) Didnt go for the Konigsports as the adjustable damping wont be used at all. So no need for the extra cash!

Also ordered 1m of 2.5" bore exhaust so i can sort my centre section out! get rid of the dented silencer!

I hope the roads are smooth round your way fella.... lol!

BG 182
saxo looks a beaut! Clio looks very tidy too and looks like you got a very good price on it too ;)

Keep up the great work fella!

Focus RS Mk1
i dont mind the stiff suspension, from reading people reviews on here about them i was fully aware that they were set up stiff.

im used to the rock solid saxo suspension so im sure these will be to my liking.

i think my occassional track session here n there will make these a good compromise.

thanks for all the comments, more updtaes next week.

Focus RS Mk1
UPDATE
Had a day off with the car today and all my parts arrived at once! Coilovers came at 9am, went n picked up my carbon plates from Bic's mate Ben at Meguairs and then fitted the exhaust i made yesterday :)
So the pictures...firstly the new section of exhaust. This is a Ktec stealth cat back system, did have a middle silencer but was dented and bent due to previous owner so i chopped it out n replaced it with a peice of pipe. much nicer tone to the exhaust now! well happy! fits a dream too! all without looking at the car during making it:
DSC03059.jpg

DSC03066.jpg

Next up was my carbon plates. Got these made by Streamline Carbon (bic), Superb qaulity and did them in great time! for a cracking price too! dead pleased with them! Soooo light! My reg transfer back to original is now complete as you can see.
DSC03067.jpg

DSC03069.jpg

DSC03056.jpg

DSC03073.jpg

DSC03072.jpg

Last but not least was the coilovers, was a f**king **** fitting these, mainly due to the top nut 21mm on the front suspension being solid and not having very good access! but managed it after i left it soaking in WD40 for an hour.
So then the old bits:
DSC03058.gif

Rears fitted
DSC03054.jpg

New Fronts and fitted:
DSC03057.jpg

DSC03061.jpg

With the adjustable parts set to the middle i dropped iton the floor and couldnt move my jack it was that low, so spent another hour or so resetting it all. Currently not perfect. few mm out either side but will adjust another day when ive got more energy!
BEFORE COILOVERS -30mm Eibach proline springs:
DSC03040.jpg

COILOVERS fitted, roughly the same :)
DSC03070.jpg

That is all. Will leave her at that till more money comes along.
Next on the list of to do:
1. Get tracking/alignment checked and set
2. Get roof painted black
3. Buy a new stereo
4. Minor Sound system
Thanks for looking
Sean

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Get that jacked back up, lower the suspension and drop the wheels onto blocks of wood, then the car will be lower and you'll be able to get the jack out :):)

Focus RS Mk1
yeah i managed to do that, but i didnt want it silly low! im happy with the above, may go a little more when i have more time to adjust it.

anothr 5mm maybe

Focus RS Mk1
Can I adjust the thread title on this? can do it on other forums, assume we dont have that function???

M

mini-valver

Have to PM a mod fella.

Looking mint! Black roof should look good! Inspired by Fuzzy's 106 GTi from the 106OC forum?

Focus RS Mk1
Have to PM a mod fella.

Looking mint! Black roof should look good! Inspired by Fuzzy's 106 GTi from the 106OC forum?

Never heard of him or been on that forum. any pictures of his car, sounds like he's gone for a similar theme!

cheers for the comments!

seems strange that this forum doesnt have the edit tool, would be much easier to keep track of project threads. oh well.

M

mini-valver

It's a cobalt blue Gti mate but had the roof done in black, looks mint!

black_roof_3.jpg

Aye, it's a weird forum TBH. Controlled by Nazi's ;)

Focus RS Mk1
looks alright on there, although would look better with a non sun roof skin fitted.

good thing about the clio i supppose! did any of them have sun roofs?

Focus RS Mk1
oz_clio. Yes it was mate, sadly the car was sold a few weeks after the pictures were taken. so a few months back now.

cheers for the comments!
no new updates yet, nothing in the pipe line either :(

Focus RS Mk1
Pioneer Stereo Ordered...sound system begins, will get some pics up when all my stuff has arrived :)

very sleak n sexy install goin in. Should look very subtle but sound perfect! with the help of my Graphic Eqauliser :)