ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: White-Clio, 172 Conversion + Respray.

EP3 Civic Type R
For once I agree with the sheep.... a Phase 1 front end would look better. It's a shame all your hard work is being over shadowed by an ill-fitting front bumper.

It's not my personal taste... That said though, the work you've put in is excellent- so fair play mate! Few little tweaks and it's there!

IMO, almost every part of it is awful. That front bumper doesn't fit worth a fook either.

But as a fellow petrolhead I can't help but respect you for putting that much time and effort into it, and it must feel good to stand back and see it finally finished and running.

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
New member here mate, was looking for some Clios to inspire me will be getting my first Clio in a few days originally a Punto owner. The project is amazing fair dos to you the job was done and it has paid off the car looks amazing. Only thing is though I am not too keen on the head lights but as long as you like them mate!

Read every page of this thread to see your progress and what other people think of it I am lost for words. It is just amazing.

Clio Sport 1400
first off major credit too you car looks great, so does the front bumper
i feel its fine but you thought about flushing the bumper into the front quarter and following the bodyline up over the join?
just saying because u said your still doing stuff to it,
dont think thats been done before :D

ClioMK1, Clio 182
Its a small world m8....i was flicking through the forums looking at resprays when i seen this! i thought hold on i had a run in with it at earsdon a couple of month back....i drive a clio mk1 valver F7R'd and we both hit some speads on that dual carrageway if u can remember....but i am sure it was you....good to see its not just me whos intersted in clio's up in newcastle!!!

A

akimbo-slice

christ!! looking at the first few pages i thought this car was going be a right s**t peice but its f**king mint!! good job mate!!:approve:

chumpmobile
other than the skirrts, i really like this

pat on the back for all your hard work mate.

got any updates? :p

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Yeah there's actually loads of updates I've just been hoarding them away till everything was fully sorted. I'll post up a couple of sneek peaks.

Couple of things that have changed since last update;

• Full stainless system (Fitted by AAS in Newcastle)
  • Alloys sprayed black
  • Headlights sprayed black
  • New non flushed tailgate
  • New mounts etc as the car had some teething problems
  • Full PC install. more info about this later.

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1143.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

Things to come next

For those of you who are in to the whole PC in your car scene, I'm in the process of reskining Centrafuse 3.5 to fit more with the Clio and have more appropriate information relating to my car and doing away with lots of the buttons on the UI as I use a stalk to control most of the PC's actions. I'm also integrating a K8055 Velleman board so that I can control certain things from the PC's front end or from the stalk like popping the passenger door open, unlocking the car, turning interior lights on etc.

Visually I intend to get my hands on a cup spoiler and possibly do away with the front bumper in favour of a MK2 PH1 front end. I'm not sure I have issues with the toe hole not matching up amongst other things like a snapped mount etc.

There are also some small knocks and bumps that need tidying. I'll update when there is more progress to update and some more Professional photos not iPhone 3 bad quality photos :p

Peace.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Ahh I forgot to include pictures of the new rear end.

Old:

IMG_1117.JPG

New:

IMG_1134.JPG

I also fully intend to replace the wing mirrors in favour of the standard ones as the M3 mirrors are a complete nightmare they massively reduce my visibility and mean I have to merge very cautiously (not a bad thing) but I have to physically turn around and look out the rear passenger windows to see properly which is just $"!£^"% stupid!

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
I love this car mate, shame I haven't seen this yet :( come to the next meet?!

Sure. I'm not hugely active on the forums and I've been a little nervous about going to a meet as during the majority of the project log the car was met with quite a lot of strong negative criticisms and whilst its easy to shrug it off over the net and laugh it off, I might be a little more offended in person. Plus the car's not been 100% right since I got it on the road if it's not been one thing it's been another just small things but enough to put me off putting the car on show on purpose. :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
Sure. I'm not hugely active on the forums and I've been a little nervous about going to a meet as during the majority of the project log the car was met with quite a lot of strong negative criticisms and whilst its easy to shrug it off over the net and laugh it off, I might be a little more offended in person. Plus the car's not been 100% right since I got it on the road if it's not been one thing it's been another just small things but enough to put me off putting the car on show on purpose. :)

You definitely shouldn't be embarrassed mate. It was f**king awful before, but i like how it's ended up (except theskirts). much more subtle.

If you come to a meet, you'll soon realise that most of the people who will criticise on the internet are very different in person. It's very easy to sit in front of your laptop and give it charlie big potatoes, I doubt anything will be said when you're there.

Go along mate, what's the worst that can happen?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

I doubt you'd get anything but compliments really, it's one thing to see a car online and think 'yeah, s**t' butwhen they see it in person they'd get to appreciate work gone into it. There's loads of people making their car unique with throngs and cup spoilers but this is really one of a kind lol. I love the front bumper just because of what it is really, original parts but very very different.

Octavia VRS LE
love it mate!!! always thought to my self if a front end of a ph2 would fit anmd look good on a ph1 and i think you have done it very well!!!

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
I doubt you'd get anything but compliments really, it's one thing to see a car online and think 'yeah, s**t' butwhen they see it in person they'd get to appreciate work gone into it. There's loads of people making their car unique with throngs and cup spoilers but this is really one of a kind lol. I love the front bumper just because of what it is really, original parts but very very different.

You definitely shouldn't be embarrassed mate. It was f**king awful before, but i like how it's ended up (except theskirts). much more subtle.

If you come to a meet, you'll soon realise that most of the people who will criticise on the internet are very different in person. It's very easy to sit in front of your laptop and give it charlie big potatoes, I doubt anything will be said when you're there.

Go along mate, what's the worst that can happen?

Ye you're both bang on the money there I suppose. I'll definitely have to pop along then. Will be nice to go along to an organised meet with petrol heads and not the local rif raf near mine which go to Tynemouth 'strip'. They tend to be a little more in to doing wheel spins and anti-social behaviour to draw unwanted attention from the police etc.

AWESOME, that is all :)

Thank you :D

love it mate!!! always thought to my self if a front end of a ph2 would fit anmd look good on a ph1 and i think you have done it very well!!!

Thanks very much, I'm actually contemplating putting the Ph1 end on because of various issues like the holes not matching up and lack of lower support but I suppose I could always fix them.

you still got your old boot lid?

I do yeah, It's sitting in my garage.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
What a read, hats off to you mate. I personally like it, very different :)
How do you open the doors btw ?

I have a key fob which controls the poppers or there are buttons under neath the mirrors which are supposed to be water proof which also pop the doors open when the car is unlocked. I'm going to be honest though the buttons whilst thye are supposed to be weather proof during the winter they froze and kept catching so the passenger side solenoid burnt out, the drivers side also suffered a similar fate.

My goal is to strip the interior and fit a RFID proximity sensor. Remove the original immob by way of emulation or what have you and have the doors unlock (but not open) when a person is within 20-30yrds and then have the use of the button or keyfob with a rfid enabled push start inside a proper one none of this put the key in turn it to stage 3 and then push the button.

LY R27
I have a key fob which controls the poppers or there are buttons under neath the mirrors which are supposed to be water proof which also pop the doors open when the car is unlocked. I'm going to be honest though the buttons whilst thye are supposed to be weather proof during the winter they froze and kept catching so the passenger side solenoid burnt out, the drivers side also suffered a similar fate.

My goal is to strip the interior and fit a RFID proximity sensor. Remove the original immob by way of emulation or what have you and have the doors unlock (but not open) when a person is within 20-30yrds and then have the use of the button or keyfob with a rfid enabled push start inside a proper one none of this put the key in turn it to stage 3 and then push the button.

so a bit like the LUX packed Meganes and r27s? oh i love this on my meg :)

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
so a bit like the LUX packed Meganes and r27s? oh i love this on my meg :)

I've not heard of the "LUX Pack" I'm assuming thats short for luxury pack which includes keyless entry?

Yeah I'll be putting Keyless entry & Keyless start, at the moment I'm looking for a nice CAT1 alarm which allows an external input to disable the alarm, that way the keyless entrys signal to unlock the doors could also de-active/activate the alarm. I've got some fairly funky idea's floating around. I've written a php/c# app to interface with the K8055 card and control the lights turning on and off. So if for some unknown reason i misplace my car I can logon to the net and via a webpage tell the car's lights to turn on so I can see where it is :) The idea of this is more so for data logging via GPS on the track etc but the frameworks there for all sorts of things.

(s)Low Dynamique
This car is basically a Pick 'n' Mix, of parts from different model Clios. It looks amazing, if I was you, after all that hard work and well spent money, I'd be scared to drive it. It looks fabulous!! Really enjoyed reading all of that!!

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
This car is basically a Pick 'n' Mix, of parts from different model Clios. It looks amazing, if I was you, after all that hard work and well spent money, I'd be scared to drive it. It looks fabulous!! Really enjoyed reading all of that!!

Haha Wilkinson's pick'n'mix one liquorice all sort here, one toffee chew here. No point in doing a car to sit back and look at it ;) car's are to be driven! if you want to make them look pretty a long the way then that's good imo but car's are to be drove not put away. The car gets driven as a daily and will be getting tracked. If it get's wrecked of course I'll be gutted but as long as I'm alive that's all that counts having fun along the way is just part and parcel of the course :D

You have far too much technical know how, most people would be happy with a eBay push start button, whereas it seems that you're turning your car into a supercomputer lol

Not at all. If you look through the threads I started not 3-4 years ago someone replied with how doing something simple like wiring an alarm in was above my skill level etc ;) It's funny how times and things change with just a bit of brash courage/stupidity/naivety and persistence.

My background is in web-design and programming but from that I've picked up little bits of electrical engineering and programming IC's (integrated circuit's), It's all just a very basic understanding and there'll be plenty of people on this forum who know an abundance more than me but that's the beauty of the net. Being able to speak to anyone in any field and as long as time permits being able to learn anything you want.

My financial circumstances at the moment don't permit much progress on the car but I'd certainly say watch this space. In the 5 years since this project (not thread, the thread was started long in to the project) was started I've;

• Lived in 3 property's
  • had 5 jobs
  • had 2 girlfriends
  • had 2 other cars :p
  • turned from teens to twenties

When I got my Clio I said within a few months I was going to eventually do an engine change, It came late but it happened eventually. It's not been without it's headaches and it's pains and I'd not rush to do one again. Point is I said what I wanted to do and eventually (as late as its came) I've done what I set out to do. Now my aspirations lie in getting the interior fully done, getting some issues on the outside corrected and getting this car super charged!

Watch this space ;)

LY R27
Haha Wilkinson's pick'n'mix one liquorice all sort here, one toffee chew here. No point in doing a car to sit back and look at it ;) car's are to be driven! if you want to make them look pretty a long the way then that's good imo but car's are to be drove not put away. The car gets driven as a daily and will be getting tracked. If it get's wrecked of course I'll be gutted but as long as I'm alive that's all that counts having fun along the way is just part and parcel of the course :D

Not at all. If you look through the threads I started not 3-4 years ago someone replied with how doing something simple like wiring an alarm in was above my skill level etc ;) It's funny how times and things change with just a bit of brash courage/stupidity/naivety and persistence.

My background is in web-design and programming but from that I've picked up little bits of electrical engineering and programming IC's (integrated circuit's), It's all just a very basic understanding and there'll be plenty of people on this forum who know an abundance more than me but that's the beauty of the net. Being able to speak to anyone in any field and as long as time permits being able to learn anything you want.

My financial circumstances at the moment don't permit much progress on the car but I'd certainly say watch this space. In the 5 years since this project (not thread, the thread was started long in to the project) was started I've;

• Lived in 3 property's
  • had 5 jobs
  • had 2 girlfriends
  • had 2 other cars :p
  • turned from teens to twenties

When I got my Clio I said within a few months I was going to eventually do an engine change, It came late but it happened eventually. It's not been without it's headaches and it's pains and I'd not rush to do one again. Point is I said what I wanted to do and eventually (as late as its came) I've done what I set out to do. Now my aspirations lie in getting the interior fully done, getting some issues on the outside corrected and getting this car super charged!

Watch this space ;)

sounds good! and i dont actually have a lux pack meg, ive got a ph1 dynamique meg and it comes with the keyless start and entry, whereas the ph2s and other ph1s dont come with it unless its the lux pack!

a;lso interesting background! i finished my a level electronics, consisted alot of stuff you are talking about
get millions of piccies up of the current interior and al of the electronics :) etc etc :)
ta ta

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
where did you get the headunit installed? looks smart

Built an enclosure out of wood. screwed the headunit in using L shaped brackets and then carpeted the box in Accoustic carpet.

The box then got bolted to the lower dashboard. Hope this helps :)

Artic 182FF
Ive just been through all 18 pages of this thread and all i can say is what a transformation you've done. The final product looks freekin quality. Front end and back end. :)

53' clio mk2 1.2 16v
That is quality mate, if theres one thing i would change it would be the skirts, lots of effort gone into this though as anyone could tell, interior looks amazing well done! :approve:

Clio & Mini
Alright mate, do you know when you had a flush boot and the your reg on the 172 bumper How did you keep the reg lit? What lighting did you use coz I might put a 172 rear bumper on my campus but want to keep it lit and visible at night! So I was just wondering how you did it?

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Alright mate, do you know when you had a flush boot and the your reg on the 172 bumper How did you keep the reg lit? What lighting did you use coz I might put a 172 rear bumper on my campus but want to keep it lit and visible at night! So I was just wondering how you did it?

I used some bolts from ebay that had a led light fitted in to them, to be honest they looked naff and if your contemplating a 172 rear bumper then i'd consider a mk2 ph2 boot at the same time.

Last edited:
  White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Bump! Any more news on this? And empty your inbox! :)

Hey, My club membership had expired so my inbox quota had dropped from 50 to 20. I've emptied my inbox now. Nothings changed on the car mate insurance expired in July and it's sat since then as I can't afford insurance on it. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel atm. Got laid off for the 4th time in 3 years in February and I've had to freelance since then.

You should be able to send me an inbox message now :)