ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Prospective Clio 182 driver

Am about to take my driving test (fairly confident). Dreaming of a Clio 182 with cup suspension and cup spoilers. Cheapest insurance quote is £2654 for 10 months with bonus accelerator!!! Could just about manage it if I put in overtime (will be stretched though).

Am I crazy? Maybe I should settle for the C2 VTS?

Da

Less

Age mate?? Think a 182 as a first car is way way too powerful for ya to gain the required experience tbh. Would be better buying something smaller to practice with first and saving the £2k till you upgrade.

your crazy!!! youll kill yourself in the clio if youre in experienced! go vts looked at one today they aint half bad. evo magazine gives them the thumbs up too. how old are you cos thats a pretty good quote!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Hello fella, im 18 with 8 months driving experiance, Im collecting a 172 Cup next week.... If u take it easy and dont go mad u will be fine

Dont do it in my view.

£2600 is stupid money your working all the time just to pay.

Get a 1.2 coilovers and better brakes some track experiance etc and youll be quicker than a 182 on the track, build up 2 yrs or so NCB before jumping up to something preferably a Cup or 172 which is cheaper to buy.

£2652 is abouit £8 a day thats a lot of money.

Your very likely to crash your first car dont crash a 182 you will do it at higher speeds as the limits are higer. Get some experiance first

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 05 September 2004
Dont do it in my view.£2600 is stupid money your working all the time just to pay.Get a 1.2 coilovers and better brakes some track experiance etc and youll be quicker than a 182 on the track, build up 2 yrs or so NCB before jumping up to something preferably a Cup or 172 which is cheaper to buy.£2652 is abouit £8 a day thats a lot of money.Your very likely to crash your first car dont crash a 182 you will do it at higher speeds as the limits are higer. Get some experiance first

i agree witll points apart from being quicker on the track. unless the 182 driver is useless you have no chance!

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 05 September 2004

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 05 September 2004

i agree witll points apart from being quicker on the track. unless the 182 driver is useless you have no chance!
Will depend on drivers experiance/ guts and the track. But I know what you mean.

Titanium Clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 05 September 2004

your crazy!!! youll kill yourself in the clio if youre in experienced! go vts looked at one today they aint half bad. evo magazine gives them the thumbs up too. how old are you cos thats a pretty good quote!
A Good quote your having a laugh, im 24 with 3 years bo claims and mine is only 700 quid.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

A C2 VTS would be a great first car,its new and its way cheaper to insure and im sure youd have tons of fun in it even more so as its your first car.

IMO you would be mad paying out that much for 182 insurance.

Definatly get something a bit slower first... my first performance car was two years after i passed my test when i was 19 and i had a Honda CRX 1.6 16v... i think if i had my Cup at that age it certainly wouldnt have been on the road now.

C2 sounds like a good first car, fast considering most people will hav 1.0\1.2s for there first car. Work your way up gradually, definatly pays off in the end!

Wise words from a 23 year old! lol

Thanx all for your replies about buying a clio 182 soon after passing the driving test.

Its just that I thought after securing a massive discount from http://www.savemoneyonyourcars.co.ukwww.savemoneyonyourcars.co.uk I would suffer minimal depreciation as I plan to keep it for 5+ years compared to the vts. Also, insurance wld be lower in the second year (assuming all goes well). I also have some experience in my wifes Corolla T Sport and cant bear the prospect of having an inferior car - some weird macho thing!

I would obviously take it easy. I am 28 by the way.

Yaris Hybrid

Not worth stretching yourself financially. Only takes the slightest mishap to tip you over the edge.

Easy to get caught by a camera van and get a few points on your licence....

Easy for some nob to vandalise your car....

Non of those will help your premiums much. Id rather have the VTS over the T Sport to be honest.

Full Fat 182 - Was..

got summit old and start out, you WILL have a dent, a ding, a divit or somthing happen to the car thats not neccciseraly your fault, and its a real pain in the ass when someone dents your new 182 baby! ( tw*t at reanult )