ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PSN?!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
What happens is I believe the term is fishing, you're mate could have been chatting to a random with friendly banter like, so where you from etc but what there doing is finding out about stuff that you could put as secret questions and passwords etc. Say for example- 12 year old supports Manchester utd plays football when he's not on cod, username is like man-u4evs. Chances are password is Rooney or similar. They will ask if your on FB on msn messenger etc to try get email address. Happens quite a bit.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've not a PS3 owner for long (been a 360 owner for several years), and i do genuinely like the console, but this PSN saga has been an absolute disaster for Sony, and will be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of loyal sony users. For such a huge company how can they continually fcuk up on huge proportions and not expect it to affect sales market share.

Its a shame really, but personally i'd rather pay a bit extra for an online service which head and shoulders above the competition.

Ph2 Clio 172
I'm with Clart. I have previously owned a 360, and resented having to pay for an online service. However, now I have a PS3 I can really see the difference between a free and a paid service. Compared to PSN XBL is fantastic. Its just so much slicker at everything it does. I would definitely pay for an online service now.

It doesn't explain why Microsoft can get XBL so right, yet make GFWL so utterly shockingly bad, but thats a different discussion.

Fiesta ST-2
What differences are there between the too? Putting aside the current situation and the ability to have party chat with people playing different games.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's generally much slicker, it has better chat/party facilities and you get all the multi-platform DLC way before PSN does.

Loads more, but you generally get what you pay for.

Last edited:
It's generally much slicker, it has better chat/party facilities and you get all the multi-platform DLC way before PSN does.

Loads more, but your generally get what you pay for.

Not to mention update speeds. I find it highly irritating that the PS3 has OS and game updates that take so long to download and subsequently install. XBL updates (aside from dashboard refresh every couple of years) are downloaded and installed very quickly.

Ph2 Clio 172
What differences are there between the too? Putting aside the current situation and the ability to have party chat with people playing different games.

As all Xbox games use XBL, it spans accross games much better. Notifications and messages occur the same everywhere, you can access things with one click. I especially prefer the friends setup on it. Its 1 menu to see all your friends and what they are doing, and just one menu for either join your friends of invite them to join you. Accepting invites is 1 click too and then your straight in.

With PSN it will tell you your friends are online and what they are playing, but thats it. Finding and joining them in game is managed in each individual game in their own individual ways.

Bus w**ker
Since I got my 360 a few months back my PS3 has only been turned on a handful of times and that was only to stream media (because I didn't know my 360 could do it so well :eek:) and then to jailbreak it, which I couldn't do as I had updated it the last time I used it. Chris said this would happen...he was right, my two mates that bought 360s at the same time as me haven't even turned their PS3s on and are about to sell.

I'll not sell mine...but I am only keeping it for sentimental sake as I bought it on release day in NYC and it looks good on my shelf lol.

This year has been all about change for me. Blackberry to iPhone and then PS3 to 360. I'm a fanbois nightmare.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Latest update from playstation.eu
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

Both Kazuo Hirai and Sir Howard Stringer have stated that we will be offering identity theft protection for those affected by the malicious attack on PlayStation Network and many of you may have seen the details of the service available in North America. As I have explained previously, creating a similar offering for the many countries within the SCEE region is a very complicated process. Each country has a different way of handling identity theft; some offer relatively sophisticated services whilst others are much more modest.
We are currently in the process of identifying how we manage this situation and once the programme is ready to launch, we will provide details of exactly which services are available in each country and explain how to sign up. We hope to do this early next week.
Also, look out for more information on the rest of our Welcome Back programme, including which free content you will be eligible for. We will be offering PSN users the opportunity to select two PS3 games from a list of five, as well as offering PSP users the opportunity to choose two games from a list of four. We will let you know exactly what games are available very soon.
Please be assured that we are continuing to work around the clock to have some PlayStation Network and Qriocity services restored and will provide you with specific details shortly.

And from Howard Stringer

Dear Friends,
I know this has been a frustrating time for all of you.
Let me assure you that the resources of this company have been focused on investigating the entire nature and impact of the cyber-attack we’ve all experienced and on fixing it. We are absolutely dedicated to restoring full and safe service as soon as possible and rewarding you for your patience. We will settle for nothing less.
To date, there is no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused, and we continue to monitor the situation closely. We are also moving ahead with plans to help protect our customers from identity theft around the world. A program for U.S. PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers that includes a $1 million identity theft insurance policy per user was launched earlier today and announcements for other regions will be coming soon.
As we have announced, we will be offering a “Welcome Back” package to our customers once our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are up and running. This will include, among other benefits, a month of free PlayStation Plus membership for all PSN customers, as well as an extension of subscriptions for PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited customers to make up for time lost.
As a company we — and I — apologize for the inconvenience and concern caused by this attack. Under the leadership of Kazuo Hirai, we have teams working around the clock and around the world to restore your access to those services as quickly, and as safely, as possible.
I know some believe we should have notified our customers earlier than we did. It’s a fair question. As soon as we discovered the potential scope of the intrusion, we shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and hired some of the best technical experts in the field to determine what happened. I wish we could have gotten the answers we needed sooner, but forensic analysis is a complex, time-consuming process. Hackers, after all, do their best to cover their tracks, and it took some time for our experts to find those tracks and begin to identify what personal information had — or had not — been taken.
As a result of what we discovered we notified you of the breach. Our investigation is ongoing, and we are upgrading our security so that if attacks like this happen again, our defenses will be even stronger.
In the last few months, Sony has faced a terrible earthquake and tsunami in Japan. But now we are facing a very man-made event – a criminal attack on us — and on you — and we are working with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies around the world to apprehend those responsible.
In the coming days, we will restore service to the networks and welcome you back to the fun. I wanted to personally reach out and let you know that we are committed to serving you to the very best of our ability, protecting your information better than ever, and getting you back to what you signed up for – all the games and great entertainment experiences that you expect from Sony.
With best regards,
Howard Stringer

I had a quick google search and one of the first that came up was Playstation was hoping psn would be up again Friday. Aka today. And as we can all see it hasn't happened. Maybe overnight, fingers crossed.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
So is that 2 full free games or limited time demos? If it's full games I wasn't expecting that fair play to Sony as that's a lot of money considering the millions effected.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I doubt the free games will be any good. Might be the sub £10 ones in the store.
They won't be losing too much money in the grand scheme of things.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
They probes think it's funny to hit the same compay again and again. I hope someones inline for some pain for doing this.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I think its funny. Sony should be protected against intrusions. Then for a second intrusion, why where they not prepared ??

If a third one happens, they thoroughly deserve it for not stepping up there game.

Sam!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's not funny, but it's also just not acceptable for a huge corporation like Sony.

Three weeks of downtime and guaranteed loss of sensitive data...

Clio 1.2 16v
Since 20th April gman, it's what about 5pm USA time? That means if there's no update as of yet I doubt anything will be done overnight they'll be going home : (