ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pure Motorsport Race Engine

I heard there was some slight advantages to the megane coil-on-plug style ones, and the fitting holes are on the 172 head. It's something I was gonna try next year as megane ones are easy to source and you could keep a few spares in the track bag

I heard there was some slight advantages to the megane coil-on-plug style ones, and the fitting holes are on the 172 head. It's something I was gonna try next year as megane ones are easy to source and you could keep a few spares in the track bag

Are you changing ECU's or are you going to carry on running wasted spark but with coil on plug? Not needed at all IMO but your choice :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If you run them wasted spark because you only have a twin output ignition driver in your ECU then bear in mind they only get the same amount of charge time as they would at 16,000rpm, so you will want to check the charge time on them to make sure thats acceptable.

Did he suggest running them wasted spark, or swapping to an ecu with 4 drivers?

At the time we were chatting he was gonna try them on wasted spark - but he's not a huge fan of the omex and keeps trying to talk me into something else anyway. Mostly because I'm restricted to shitty serial output for a dash display lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
At the time we were chatting he was gonna try them on wasted spark - but he's not a huge fan of the omex and keeps trying to talk me into something else anyway. Mostly because I'm restricted to s**tty serial output for a dash display lol

Is there anything you need on your dash that you dont have?

Ive got everything I can think would ever be useful to me (and plenty that isnt, lol) goign to my race technology dash and thats only serial.

182cup & 172 racecar
Coil on plug are more ubreliable, we were going to put them on.
But jay said hes been out to so many breakdowns with these, so we didn't bother.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nah I know the race technologies ones do most of it - but I find them lacking in contrast. The DTA dash is far nicer

I agree on the contrast, you have to be careful with installed viewing angle on the race technology ones or the contrast can be poor, but what does that have to do with what data is available from a serial interface to an ECU which is what we were talking about?

I agree on the contrast, you have to be careful with installed viewing angle on the race technology ones or the contrast can be poor, but what does that have to do with what data is available from a serial interface to an ECU which is what we were talking about?

Because the omex serial interface restricts you to just the race tech and a couple of others (due to being a 20 year old tech) - whereas with any ecu with canbus output you have a much more varied choice of dash display.

I wasn't saying there's a lack of data from the omex - I was saying the data delivery mechanism is restrictive

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Because the omex serial interface restricts you to just the race tech and a couple of others (due to being a 20 year old tech) - whereas with any ecu with canbus output you have a much more varied choice of dash display.

I wasn't saying there's a lack of data from the omex - I was saying the data delivery mechanism is restrictive

Yes it does limit your dash choices a bit I guess, although TBH so long as it can flash at me if something is badly wrong nothing else really interests me much as I dont drive around looking at the TPS angle or stuff anyway, im too busy looking out the window when im driving, lol.

Yeah I must admit - this is going way off topic - but I've been thinking about just chucking some stack gauges in a carbon panel and binning the whole standard loom off completely

For the sake of fitting a speed sensor and a few other bits and making a very simple loom - saves £600 odd on a dash

A shed
Yeah I must admit - this is going way off topic - but I've been thinking about just chucking some stack gauges in a carbon panel and binning the whole standard loom off completely

For the sake of fitting a speed sensor and a few other bits and making a very simple loom - saves £600 odd on a dash

One of the ABS sensors and a dakota digital converter will work instead of the trouble of a speed sensor :)

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Any more news on this?

Price / spec

The next engine is in development and we are productionising the build process as much as possible to make it as quick and straight forward as possible. As for price, we still don't know yet but we are working our way through a huge spread sheet and pricing all the parts and labour. The next engine will have bespoke valves (with a smaller exhaust), rather than modified ones out of something else, different cams by a different manufacturer, slightly longer rods than already used and the rest pretty much the same.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Sounds Awesome!!! Im at wiscombe next sunday and I have noticed this is also on the entry list :cool:.

It was a great weekend! Nick did well, only giving way in his class to our 205 (which is alot further down the development road and lighter) and certainly finding more confidence and rhythm in driving it.

Quick clip from between the hairpins:

[video=youtube_share;1sbUmeCmBVk]http://youtu.be/1sbUmeCmBVk[/video]