ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quaife ATB LSD for Mk2 172

I sent an email to Quaife UK in regards to building an ATB diff for my cup- as I am trying to eliminate some of the torque steer. They said they would be interested in developing a Differential for the car - if I was in the position to generate orders in a quantity of 20 - 25 units. I was wondering whether any of the mk2 172 owners on the forum would be intrested in purchasing one. I am just trying to encourage interest at the moment - prices and the like will follow if people think it is a good idea.

Thanks,

Charlie

you have torque steer probs!!??

There was a post along these lines a while ago, but i dont think many people would be up for the 1000+ quid to eliminate a problem that doesnt exist.

Would be a project though.

Hope you get it sorted!

BenR – I have difficulty understanding how you can say a Cup 172 does not torque steer. Maybe the heavier Mk2 172 does not suffer from this problem – by all means if this problem is individual to my car I should describe it to my local Renault dealer - or maybe my understanding of the term is also incorrect. In addition, I am sure you are fully aware of all the advantages of the ATB Quaife differentials.

I agree with Charlie, how you can say it doesnt suffer from torque steer I dont know, it seems to me that whenever there is a post relating to a product that someone else has been switched on enough to think about and research, you seem to slate, the same was with the "bolt on" single throttle body upgrades, I was under the impression we were here to share knowledge and chat Clio stuff. Fair play CharlieCup I am very interested.

Tim O 172.

14.5sec 1/4 with bolt on single throttle body mods...PS 14.7 1/4 cup, R Sport ECU.....with violent torque steer....

Tim if you read, i said "hope you get it sorted" as in i was not trying to disuade him. I know how touchy people get on some topics. I too am here to share knowledge, and after owning the MK1/MK2 and now have a cup on the way i feel i have some say.

Im all for mods, but im also for saving people 1000+ quid for something that is not essential.

Renault went through alot of trouble to remove any harsh torque steer. Yes, it does a little, but nothing that cannot be handled with a single pinky finger.

I dont know how you CAN say that it torque steers any worse than any FWD car. I am fully aware of the advantages of an ATB, but with 170bhp its jsut not needed yet.

As for the single TB mod (if were talking the tiny bit larger one from france) then all i can say is that its NOT good VFM, only a tiny bit more and you could have a row of 4 lined up.

Did not mean to offend, but please, read into the posts more.

Sorry guys but im with ben on this one, ive driven both 172s.............& i can honesty say i think youd be wasting your money.........but if its burning a hole in your pocket & you wanna experiment...........then go for it............let us know the results.

Well - apart from discussing levels of torque steer. People are not touchy about subjects - people say things without full knowledge of a certain aspects and Ben your first post was nothing short of antagonistic. I think that it is ridiculous to post a thread like that – as it was questioning my reasoning for investigation in the first place. I do not want people posting on this thread unless the feel the same way as Tim and I. In relation to the price, the most expensive differential sold by Quaife to run with stock gearbox is around £600 - I really dont feel that they could charge any more than that (let alone anyone pay more). Also, Tim is not referring to adding a single enlarged throttle body - he is talking about modifications while retaining the stock item.

Ben R - I have had both Mk1 and Mk2 and if you can say that torque steer, and putting the power down cleanly are not a problem then I dont know what more to say. The so called "trouble" Renault have gone to to calm the torque steer has been futile, my Cup torque steers more than my animal Mk1...I am not sure what you are on about....

I would be very interested in an lsd for my mk2 172. mates 205 lsd was £550 granted a short run maybe a little more but not 1k each

Revels Mum & Sister

"I do not want people posting on this thread unless the feel the same way as Tim and I."

Mate it is a discussion forum, people are entitled to there own views. I have driven a Cup and I didnt think it torque steers. Not a lot anyway. He was also saving you time mate. If people say yeah I will order one with you, then consult someone and are told it isnt worth it, and back out, thats you loss!!

He wasnt trying to be Antagonistic, just giving his opionion as you have given yours. You dont agree with everybody else comments I am sure!

Cor, the abuse you get for trying to help!!! lol

All im saying is that it DONT torque steer as much as say many older hot hatches. my MK1 XR2 in std trim with 90bhp REALLY torque steered! it was because it had one sooper long driveshaft.

The 172s have agret layout and you can drive it at full throttle from standing start with your pinky like i said. Maybe you shouldnt be driving such a terribly viscious car.....;)

The ATB might be 600 quid, but:

A) you have to find 25 people willling to part with 600 quid first off

B) you have to get it fitted chich is a labour intensive job

C) The car dont really need it.

AGain, its my view but my experience goes far beyond the MK1, MK2, cup 172 area. Its your decision, im not trying to disuade you, just provide another source of info to make your decision a more informed one.

Most posts here are tongue in cheek, so lighten up for christs sake!

p.s. i do not want anybody replying on this post unless htey have the same feelings as me and have an acceptable level of experience (i.e. Prof. Quantum Physics). :D

FRST and 106 GTi

my thinking... LEARN to drive the car as it is.

Nothing more beautiful to have the power of control over a wild beast car.

I think a LSD for the Cup is an interesting proposition, but only for those who spend a disproportionate time in it on track. For road use it would probably be a complete waste of money that would probably shaft all aspects of your warranty into next century.

A racing LSD may also cause a lot of extra noise when turning the wheels, but on track it may be of use in exiting tight bends.

I have thought about it as well, but decided not to do it for the above reasons.

I think the amount of torque steer the cup has is one of its best features. It makes you anticipate every bit of violent acceleration, and plan your gear changes in advance so you can keep both hands on the wheel for as much of the time as possible. Not since my last 205 gti (5 years ago) have I had that feeling of "just having to hang on". Consequently, Im sure an LSD would help with track work, but on the road "managing" the torque steer is half the fun.

Good luck in your pursuit, though, but I think Quiafe have got a bit of a cheek expecting you to recruit the 20 odd other buyers - surely its in their interest to develop the product for the continually emerging 172/cup market?

Didnt meant o turn you off it mate, still go ahead with it. See if they can produce a prototype on your car etc.

But i still keep thinking "what torque steer!" lol