ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:R32

330Ci (Fail)Sport
They're not CH's, they're CK's.

;)

I never said they were CH's... ;)

But yeah I did assume they were lol

I still stand by my comment though, CH's look good on Golfs, better than CK's now you mention it ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I still stand by my comment though, CH's look good on Golfs, better than CK's now you mention it ;)

Nah, i prefer the CK's tbh. CH's just remind me of Edition30's. And id rather not my R32 look like an inferior Golf really ;)

LM's are awesome, but only on square old skool cars imho, like a Skyline, e30 M3, etc.

At the end of the day though, some 19" CK's with decent tyres are about £1800, which simply isnt going to happen.

Id rather a Haldex controller, coilovers & ARB's for that money.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
LM:
post-14-1288040343.jpg

CH:
2905468783_567ce0b8dd_o.jpg

CK:
attachment.jpg

Clio 172 cup
Fuel is perfectly acceptable IMO!

It's not as bad as you'd think, circa 260 miles to a tank.

Are you taking the pi55??

260 miles to a tank is just dreadful!! Thats evo 8/9 territory

My remapped golf gttdi 150 has the same amount of torque as a r32 and does 700miles on a tank. Lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
My remapped golf gttdi 150 has the same amount of torque as a r32 and does 700miles on a tank. Lol

Tbf, my R32 gets about 335 to a tank, although thats just sat at 70-80 all the time, not much town work.

With reference to your TDi, it could have as much torque as the QE2 for all i care. I dont love the R32 for its torque, i love it because its simply blooming good as almost everything!! As an all rounder, im not sure of a car that would do everything quite so well. In fact, the only thing id sell it for is a newer/lower mileage one to convert to lpg and keep until it fell apart :eek:

Clio 172 cup
How can you compare an R32 and an oil burning golf!?

Because i have had both, granted my brothers R32 was a mkiv not a mk5,but drove it for 3 months while he was away in germany. both comfy cruisers but for long journeys and motorway miles the tdi does is so much better imo. R32 had a better top end punch but mid range theres not much in it. For the mpg its performance is pretty poor.

Would never buy one

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Are you taking the pi55??

260 miles to a tank is just dreadful!! Thats evo 8/9 territory

That 260 miles is extra urban. My motorway use is very limited. Bet even in your derv, you'd be well under 400 miles to a tank in an extra urban environment.

The R32 is only used at weekends. The reason why I chose the 32 over an Evo is, I drive HGV for a living and to put it quite simply, Evo's are licence losers.. The R32 is a comfortable cruiser with subtle looks, great interior and EPIC NOISE. I'm happier looking out my window to a R32 than a crappy TDi equivalent.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Because i have had both, granted my brothers R32 was a mkiv not a mk5

So you havent had both then? In fact, you are comparing the MK4 platform with the Mk5, which is like comparing Adele with Kate Beckinsale, same platform, but one is an overweight disappointment and the other is, well, in some eyes, its considered to be one of the best of its type.

Clio 172 cup
That 260 miles is extra urban. My motorway use is very limited. Bet even in your derv, you'd be well under 400 miles to a tank in an extra urban environment.

The R32 is only used at weekends. The reason why I chose the 32 over an Evo is, I drive HGV for a living and to put it quite simply, Evo's are licence losers.. The R32 is a comfortable cruiser with subtle looks, great interior and EPIC NOISE. I'm happier looking out my window to a R32 than a crappy TDi equivalent.

Thats fair enough, its a perfect weekend barge,

Each to there own. Its a lovely car no question, but its nothing special

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
I'm happier looking out my window to a R32 than a crappy TDi equivalent.

So true, engine noise is so good, and that gearbox is the dogs b****cks. TDi is great for people that don't want an involving driving experience. It'd cost shed loads to make a TDi handle even remotely like an R32.
My mrs had a minter mk5 GTTDi, looked amazing, totally indistinguishable from mk5 GTI in everyway, except the noise, and it couldn't handle for toffee!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
i love it when people say a car 'cant handle for toffee'. Obviously it can just not aswell as say the r32.

Clio 172 cup
So you havent had both then? In fact, you are comparing the MK4 platform with the Mk5, which is like comparing Adele with Kate Beckinsale, same platform, but one is an overweight disappointment and the other is, well, in some eyes, its considered to be one of the best of its type.

I would consider driving one every day for 12 weeks as having had one yes. Thats longer than most R32 owners buy and then sell it after getting quickly bored with it.

Mk4 is my least favourite golf ever, followed very closely by a mk3...
Any standard TDi golf really cant handle very well at all, I say can't handle for toffee as I mean they really are terrible.

Porsche Boxster987S
Lols at the fuel chat and comparing to a taxi. If people buy R32s and cry about miles to a tank etc you have either a) not done your homework , b) stupid for thinking it would b anything different considering it's a 3.2 c) knew it was coming , thought u could afford it but can't .

CHs all day long btw. But I'm with GAZ as I've told him ... VMR V710s

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Re: Gaz talks sense, listen to him.

Really?

When i drive Sarah's TT back to back with my R32, its quite clear how much better the later platform is from a drivers persective imho.

That statement alone is pretty bang on tbf.

Clio 172 cup
Mk4 is my least favourite golf ever, followed very closely by a mk3...
Any standard TDi golf really cant handle very well at all, I say can't handle for toffee as I mean they really are terrible.

Agreed.

But a set of KW V3 coilovers and some 18inch monza 2 alloys sorted any handling issues immediately. Now its no worse than my cup

Agreed.

But a set of KW V3 coilovers and some 18inch monza 2 alloys sorted any handling issues immediately. Now its no worse than my cup

Hmmm, can't comment on that as I've never driven one with a set of decent coilovers and wheels etc, from my experience in standard models they'd definitely need a lot of work to perk things up, but yeah, coilovers, maybe a strut brace, decent tyres and a brake upgrade and actually I reckon it could be a very different story, yeah.
Still prefer a mk5 though, looks Like so much monies worth, But then they are quite a bit dearer!

A Beautiful R32
I have both a mk5 r32 and a mk5 tdi golf plus. The golf plus is actually not bad in the handling department, but tbh, you dont buy one because of the way it handles - you buy it for its versatility as a family bus. It's a nice car to drive and is a great all rounder, just like the r32. Sadly my r32 is up for sale as I can't justify its cost when I only do 7000 miles per year and when we have a baby inbound. When it goes I am gonna be so upset, it's just a f**king awesome car.

A Beautiful R32
Yeah I do, when I came to buy it I had a choice of two. One fully specced 3 door dsg and one pov spec 5 door manual. The dsg won hands down. I will never regret buying this car but once its gone I can spend the cash on the house & baby, priorities change :(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yeah I do, when I came to buy it I had a choice of two. One fully specced 3 door dsg and one pov spec 5 door manual. The dsg won hands down. I will never regret buying this car but once its gone I can spend the cash on the house & baby, priorities change :(

Sure you dont want to swop a mega spec 3dr DSG, for a mega spec 5dr DSG?

Turbos.
Agreed.

Are you talking about handling, or grip?

What are the handling characteristics; throttle adjustable like a Clio? What is its natural stance at the limit for low speed and high speed cornering?

I'm being a little facetious here. First of all, V3s are about the cost of a whole second-hand Clio. And believe it or not, KW do not test their suspension on every car, they're in it for the profit. I bet their setup for the Golf is exactly the same for other VAG models, so consequently you need individual setting up to improve handling. Of course, a lower CoG and less roll will give more grip out of the box.

Perfect example was my 1.2 years back. Used to completely lose Dansta in his 172 Cup round the bends, carried ridiculous speed. Still ultimately understeered though, and never stepped out.

Second of all, a lower profile tyre can help handling in some respects, but then a wider tyre robs steering feel and will just exacerbate an existing problem. The only difference is that you need to be going faster to realise the car is a natural understeerer/oversteerer.

No offence, but this is where taking advice off people on a forum should be cautioned.