ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race pad brake dust remover

Right I'm no detailing bod - bucket of water and a mitt is as about as far as I go!

I've picked up some 2118s that have been used shortly with some aggressive PF97 brake pads - subsequently the troughs around the rim are well caked up. I have got a lot of the surface 'sediment' off with creative use of a high pressure air line / power washer / and autoglym wheel cleaner, however there is still some hard stuff/staining left...

Sooooo... anyone with experience able to recommend me a strong wheel cleaner that will do the job, or a technique (not afraid of a bit of elbow grease) to get it all out?

:)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Time to crack out the power spray!

Lol depends how fussed you are. I've used power spary, even brick acid for really stubborn stuff!!! If you used AG wheel cleaner, Bilberry wont shift it imo.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd give bilberry a whirl .. nice and strong .. leave it for 5 mins .. poke it a bit .. spray more over the top .... leave it 10 mins .. power wash off .. then get a clay bar on to it.

Orrrrrr just leave them dirty haha

Plan C of course is get them powdercoated... but it depends how much wonga you have to throw at them :boring:

Lionel Richie
nothing apart from fairy power spray will help you, spray on, leave for an hour, super high pressure jet wash, repeat, done

Better than yours. C*nt.
Ahh, on the contrary my friends. Megs Wheel Brightener will shift anything - IIRC they're trialling it as a cure for the bad AIDS!

Seriously though, I'm down your way early January so can bung a bottle of wheel brightener through your door if you like.

Not got a car
Megs Wheel Brightener is good but harsh stuff, That will remove anything, even the skin from your hands.

That would be awesome mike.

They are already anthracite Tim ;)

Just want to get it off as much as possible, in other words you won't find me messing about with sealants etc

Brick acid... speak to me?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Had PF97s on my old BG182 - that stayed clean! Even after a day at Donington! Needed some 'gentle agitation' (Mrs says I'm good at that) but it shifted.

Better than yours. C*nt.
you were going round at 30mph though ;)

Actually not a million miles from the truth, as it still had condoms for brake hoses which after 3 laps were about as much use as tits on a fish!

Ah 'agitation', that great term detailers use - does that essentially mean scrub the b0llocks of it??

Nah, just gentle prod with a stiff brush. Any more than that and it needs claying.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I leant some wheels to Gray when he was running these pads.

He did about 200 miles I think of steady road driving, it took me about 90 minutes on the front 2 wheels to get them anywhere near what they should have looked like, and even then they were a mile off perfect.

Do yourself a favour, just leave it!

RB 182
Polish car wash down the road from me... god knows what they used but it cleans my 2118's up a treat! I spend 30min claying them and they still didn't look as clean! lol

lift number 1 @ btm
i've used an industrial cleaner called janitol before, spray on neat and the stains just run off. claims to be non acidic and paintwork safe too?!
god knows what's in it, but it works!

340i
When I ran these pads I used Auto Smart wheel cleaner (A pink liquid which you dilute with water) DO NOT get this on your skin / in any cuts it burns LOL!!

Soak the wheels in cleaner, leave 30mins... high powered jet wash... spray on stubborn areas... leave to soak... scrub... repeat.... repeat... repeat... Then cry!

The product is listed on the link below (SMART WHEELS):

http://www.autosmart.co.uk/Exterior Cleaners.html

TBH the dust from the pads is terrible, after a 20 mile drive the wheels / side of the car are totally covered and baked in it...