ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racking / shelving

Looking for recommendations for reasonably priced heavy duty racking systems.

I want to store a fair amount of weight in large containers so I have dismissed the entry level angle iron clip together shelving. Often advertised as holding ~200kg per shelf but having experienced some similar with less than 5mm thick particle board, I imagine they would soon sag. I do appreciate that with current timber pricing, many manufacturers have reduced the quality to keep the pricing sensible and for light use something from Screwfix would probably do most people storing bulky but light items.

These have taken my fancy.

F047EF5E-D7FC-4FAC-97F5-AD4689393648.jpeg

Not really as high as I would like and the wire shelves are a shame (again, built to a price) but are the strongest contender to date and I could add some 18/22mm chipboard if required.

Any recommendations? Also I nterested to hear if any of you have the lighter duty stuff rammed with weight that have performed well over time.

have you looked on big dug?
I have. Something comparable is over £200 and is supplied with just 6.5mm thick board.

If you want something that will hold above 200kg per shelf, you’re into industrial stuff, so have a look at places like this:

You can add beams as you need to.

Basically any kind of long span shelving. Understand your point on particulate board, but, should be better with the heavier duty shelving.

We actually have some Link51 Longspan at work which is a tad tall at 6 metres or something silly, and are deeper than I’d like - but you’ve given me a thought.

The uprights are bolted together so could be chopped down to my ceiling height (~2.5m) to maximise the area and although they are 600 or 900mm deep, they are just individual uprights with cross braces so I assume you could just shorten the bracing which pulls the depth in to suit? (I don’t want more than 450mm depth to be honest). They come with melamine boards, are rated for a lot more weight than I require and the final bonus is that we are clearing the site in the Autumn so I could probably buy some.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Looking for recommendations for reasonably priced heavy duty racking systems.

I want to store a fair amount of weight in large containers so I have dismissed the entry level angle iron clip together shelving. Often advertised as holding ~200kg per shelf but having experienced some similar with less than 5mm thick particle board, I imagine they would soon sag. I do appreciate that with current timber pricing, many manufacturers have reduced the quality to keep the pricing sensible and for light use something from Screwfix would probably do most people storing bulky but light items.

These have taken my fancy.

View attachment 1589196

Not really as high as I would like and the wire shelves are a shame (again, built to a price) but are the strongest contender to date and I could add some 18/22mm chipboard if required.

Any recommendations? Also I nterested to hear if any of you have the lighter duty stuff rammed with weight that have performed well over time.

I have that Hombase one, thankfully got it at £80 when a local homebase had a closing down sale. It holds plenty of weight, has a hard wearing finish and doesn't feel flimsy. I regularly stand on the top shelf to get into the loft roof hatch (I'm 120kg ish) very stable. I ended up adding about £150 odd of euro containers from big dug, stacking them 2 high over 2 shelves. I'll get round to labelling them at some point but it was an easy way of splitting all my tools and stuff into categories.

1646832909-03685100.png

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I have that Hombase one, thankfully got it at £80 when a local homebase had a closing down sale. It holds plenty of weight, has a hard wearing finish and doesn't feel flimsy. I regularly stand on the top shelf to get into the loft roof hatch (I'm 120kg ish) very stable. I ended up adding about £150 odd of euro containers from big dug, stacking them 2 high over 2 shelves. I'll get round to labelling them at some point but it was an easy way of splitting all my tools and stuff into categories.

View attachment 1590341
I need some of those. Great boxes.