ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tom's Meg 225 - The Clio Replacement

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
After breaking my Clio, and the other Clio I got to replace the first Clio... http://www.cliosport.net/threads/itbd-road-track-ph1-titanium-172.682060/

...I needed a new track day car that was more suited to dual duty in hauling a family around with me for days out etc. So it needed to be as quick or quicker than the Clio whilst being quiet and comfy enough for long drives and usable enough to be capable of daily duties (whilst not being a daily, the Mk3 DCI Megane is for that).

@Chi told me he had a Megane available so I tried it out and enjoyed the experience so agreed to take it off him once it was suitable for my use which meant removing the rear cage and fixed buckets that were in there and putting seats back in.

Rather than the standard seats I went for OMP Style which are cheaper, lighter and sit better than the standard Recaros, they're also supportive and very comfortable plus have the added bonus of having a harness slot for 5/6 point harness as I like to run a 6 point on track just in case.
I modified the ktec subframes to suit and fitted the standard seatbelt pretensioners back in.
http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/omp-style-reclining-sport-seat/prod_4835.html

Decent suspension was required so I got a set of AST Sporline 2 with the standard AST 450lb springs front and rear along with the camber adjustable top mounts. They're fitted with the double digressive pistons which appear to be working well at the moment.
DSC_2644.jpg

The engine is already tuned to 310bhp and 310lbft which is around the safe limit of the standard engine but I fancied giving it a bit more acceleration with smaller wheels. I thought whilst I'm doing wheels I may as well save some weight and get the lightest ones that will fit but aren't weak or silly money so I opted for Alleggerita HLT. At the right time some black ones came up on offer from Tweeks.

I got some 235\40\17 NS2R to go with them. They're the 120 track compound so I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare on track.

I was a little worried being smaller they would look lost and it would be too much black but I really think it's paid off looks wise. And I've saved 15kg and lowered the gearing too!

So here is the only awful photo I've taken so far and it really needs a wash and polish. However its taxed, insured and MOTd and ready to go this summer, not driven it properly yet but when I have use it it's f***ing rapid!
DSC_2675.jpg

Spec wise its as follows:-

Meg 225
Fsh 51k
310 bhp 310ftlb
R26r spoiler boot top welded and painted
Hybrid turbo
Forge recirc
Forge actuator
Decat
Blueflame exhaust
Big injectors
Rebuilt box with quaife diff
New driveshafts
Solid flywheel and clutch
Ktec boost pipes
Boost brackets
Ktec 312mm 2 piece discs
Ds3000 pads
Braided lines
AST Sportline 2
AST top mounts
OZ Alleggerita HLT 17x8 ET55
Nankang NS2R 235/40/17
Itg induction kit
Snappy gaiters re trimmed steering wheel, gear knob and gear gaitor
Ph2 rear lights
OMP Style seats
Ktec subframes

Still on the to do list over the next couple of weeks is:-

Camber and caster adjustable Powerflex lower arm bushes
Refresh with new ball joints, rod ends, tie rods, Track Focus rack bush, drop links and link rods
Clio cup racer 22mm arb, standard is 20mm and R26 is 21mm so a little bigger (I hope it fits!)
Full geo setup
New filter and Valvoline 5w50 VR1

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
That looks epic already.

Knowing how capable your ph1 one was, this is going to be a right flying machine. Brilliant!

Look forward to it going past me at Oulton.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That looks epic already.

Knowing how capable your ph1 one was, this is going to be a right flying machine. Brilliant!

Look forward to it going past me at Oulton.

Cheers dude! Its amazing how a different set of wheels and some lows transformed it.

I'd like to do a bit more weight saving to it such as polycarb windows, carbon bonnet and lithium battery but that's a lot of outlay on about 40kg of weight saving. Instead I'm looking at going halves with a friend on a dedicated track car.

Haha! I don't think so, your power to weight is probably superior to mine.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
After breaking my Clio, and the other Clio I got to replace the first Clio... http://www.cliosport.net/threads/itbd-road-track-ph1-titanium-172.682060/

...I needed a new track day car that was more suited to dual duty in hauling a family around with me for days out etc. So it needed to be as quick or quicker than the Clio whilst being quiet and comfy enough for long drives and usable enough to be capable of daily duties (whilst not being a daily, the Mk3 DCI Megane is for that).

@Chi told me he had a Megane available so I tried it out and enjoyed the experience so agreed to take it off him once it was suitable for my use which meant removing the rear cage and fixed buckets that were in there and putting seats back in.

Rather than the standard seats I went for OMP Style which are cheaper, lighter and sit better than the standard Recaros, they're also supportive and very comfortable plus have the added bonus of having a harness slot for 5/6 point harness as I like to run a 6 point on track just in case.
I modified the ktec subframes to suit and fitted the standard seatbelt pretensioners back in.
http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/omp-style-reclining-sport-seat/prod_4835.html

Decent suspension was required so I got a set of AST Sporline 2 with the standard AST 450lb springs front and rear along with the camber adjustable top mounts. They're fitted with the double digressive pistons which appear to be working well at the moment.
DSC_2644.jpg

The engine is already tuned to 310bhp and 310lbft which is around the safe limit of the standard engine but I fancied giving it a bit more acceleration with smaller wheels. I thought whilst I'm doing wheels I may as well save some weight and get the lightest ones that will fit but aren't weak or silly money so I opted for Alleggerita HLT. At the right time some black ones came up on offer from Tweeks.

I got some 235\40\17 NS2R to go with them. They're the 120 track compound so I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare on track.

I was a little worried being smaller they would look lost and it would be too much black but I really think it's paid off looks wise. And I've saved 15kg and lowered the gearing too!

So here is the only awful photo I've taken so far and it really needs a wash and polish. However its taxed, insured and MOTd and ready to go this summer, not driven it properly yet but when I have use it it's f***ing rapid!
DSC_2675.jpg

Spec wise its as follows:-

Meg 225
Fsh 51k
310 bhp 310ftlb
R26r spoiler boot top welded and painted
Hybrid turbo
Forge recirc
Forge actuator
Decat
Blueflame exhaust
Big injectors
Rebuilt box with quaife diff
New driveshafts
Solid flywheel and clutch
Ktec boost pipes
Boost brackets
Ktec 312mm 2 piece discs
Ds3000 pads
Braided lines
AST Sportline 2
AST top mounts
OZ Alleggerita HLT 17x8 ET55
Nankang NS2R 235/40/17
Itg induction kit
Snappy gaiters re trimmed steering wheel, gear knob and gear gaitor
Ph2 rear lights
OMP Style seats
Ktec subframes

Still on the to do list over the next couple of weeks is:-

Camber and caster adjustable Powerflex lower arm bushes
Refresh with new ball joints, rod ends, tie rods, Track Focus rack bush, drop links and link rods
Clio cup racer 22mm arb, standard is 20mm and R26 is 21mm so a little bigger (I hope it fits!)
Full geo setup
New filter and Valvoline 5w50 VR1
It looks proper mean, good choice on the wheels mate. :up:

Mines only 283 ftlbs :cry: (need more power)

Cant wait to see it Tom. :smiley:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Pace wise it doesn't feel massively different to my Clio. The extra torque is noticeable though so it might well be quicker on track.

It's much nicer to drive on the road though!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have loved a R26 with xenons and the R26 is held in higher esteem due to reviews but this came up with the right bits on it and I couldn't pass it up.

Besides with the bits fitted to it it'll be better than the large majority of R26 around and a bit of an underdog when I say it's just a 225.

The 225 has a better front end and it's got the ph2 rear bits and the .r spoiler so looks wise it's the best all round.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Looks awesome Tom! How are you finding the transition from Clio to the Megane? I've often been tempted to make the change myself.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The Megane is much more grown up. The Clio is always on but the Megane has an off button.

It definitely needs at least 270bhp imo. This one is 80bhp over standard. The throttle response isn't as bad as I'd thought it would be but it doesn't compare to an ITBd Clio with no pas or aircon and a billet flywheel.

Also they need a 3" turbo back system with one box. Otherwise they're too quiet, this one sounds great on full chat but nice and quiet when cruising.

It rides better on the road than the Clio. The ASTs feel perfect for fast road use, I'm hoping they feel just as good on the track, BC racing are a cheaper option but I wanted a proper rear coilover setup.

If you're going to get one wait for one with the right mods done to it and with the shafts and swivel bearings replaced. Budget for a suspension refresh too if it's not been done but the same can be said for a Clio.

I don't regret it, sure I'll miss the Clio which was epic on track but it's time to move on.

340i
Very well put, Tom... I totally agree.

I am good friends with Mark the previous owner, I know much money he put into the car :) with the addition of AST's it's a VERY sorted car now.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Very well put, Tom... I totally agree.

I am good friends with Mark the previous owner, I know much money he put into the car :smile: with the addition of AST's it's a VERY sorted car now.
You know the car well then? Yeah the ASTs have transformed the car, the wheels help too, definitely make it more spritely.

How far has the standard bottom end been pushed? I know people say 320 is the absolute limit but is anyone running more than that reliably?

Inferno 225 cup
You know the car well then? Yeah the ASTs have transformed the car, the wheels help too, definitely make it more spritely.

How far has the standard bottom end been pushed? I know people say 320 is the absolute limit but is anyone running more than that reliably?

Since Mark rebuilt it he hardly did any miles bar bedding it in back and forth to work and the odd drive out.

That's why he sold it, has he never had time to appreciate it.

340i

Yeah, me and Mark bought our Meganes at the same time :)

I helped him fit the SMF kit, think we where the first people to use the TTV flywheel.

I would say 300hp / 320ft.lb is the limit on standard internals... It really is pot luck if the engine doesn't go BANG!

I've got the same mods and power as your car... It's been fine for 3.5yrs and 40K miles, but I've known standard and stage 1 mapped cars blow up.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, I have some plans I'm keeping under wraps at the moment but hopefully it'll help spool and give a bit more top end. Not sure when I'll try it out though. It's a bugger having to get to Leeds for mapping.

It's probably not worth it without going forged either which I didn't want to do.