ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raw Striker Arrival and Review

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Well this weekend I went to get the Striker from Hereford. Quite a long drive from Kent, but well worth it. Took about an hour to load her all up and strap the car down.

There were 3 boxes of assorted parts, 1 set of wheels with Yokohama A032's, 1 set of wheels with Eagle F1's, 2 spare wheels with Eagle F1's as well as the set on the car with Eagle F1's. A carbon fibre drivers seat, assorted pots of paint and fibreglass and importantly a full tonneau cover. lol.

The car itself as some of your may know is a Raw Striker. Originally made by Sylva Sports Cars in Kent but sold to Raw Engineering in 2002. My Striker is valued at around £8,500 and was made in 2004 so 2 years old. It weighs uner 500kgs and has a stock 2002 fuel-injected 998cc engine from a yamaha YZF-R1 motorbike. Power to weight ratio is therefore in excess of 300bhp/tonne.

Performance as you'd expect is stunning. 0-60 in first gear is under 4 seconds and it gets very illegal very very quickly (Mclaren Mercedes SLR is 3.8/3.9secs for reference!)

Car has no heater, no doors, no roof, no windscreen, no radio so as raw as it comes.

But whats it like out on the road.. well, in all honesty its astonishing. Its the fastest and most agile vehicle I've ever been in. Change of direction is immediate. The steering feeling is heavy but planted and you feel every bump and vibration, welcome back to coilovers! The pedals are very close together and require little effort to use. The accelerator and clutch are very "on/off"affairs with the non-servo'd brakes requiring work to get the most out of them. Since everything is so closely mounted its easier to left foot brake, especially without the servo. The pedals are rock solid so feels great.

The sequential gearbox is like something else, you nail it in 1st, wait for all the shift lights to come on then lift off the gas, pull the shifter back and immediately nail the throttle again and it justs keeps going - all in a split second, theres no pause in power just brutal in your face brash acceleration. You need both hands to steer purely to hold on for dear life. Oh my goodness.

The engine and 'box whine as I hold it in 2nd gear in a 30mph village, a little lift off the throttle to keep the speed down and the carbon fibre exhaust backbox pops and bangs.... I tighten the harness and lower my visor as we approach the national speed limit sign the revs rise... 5,000 rpm (11,000 rpm shift point) the noise is deafening, its ringing in side my helmet, the mirrors are vibrating so much you can't see anything behind you, - but who cares, because as I nail the throttle the next point of reference is far away on the horizon and boy do you get there quickly.... hold on tight...

Awesome.

Pics from the PistonHeads advert - will add more tonight.

83101-1.jpg

83101-2.jpg

83101-3.jpg

Last edited:
god damn i want a go :D

bike engined kits are great fun gotta lov ethe sequential boxes hehe
just get the damn stickers off !!!

i think i will have a go at kit car ownership before i get another vx/exige and too old :p

UR 197, AB 182 FF
:eek:

you b*****d! When am I coming to see you?

And yes I do want a go on this

Attachments

• yep.jpg
    yep.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 287
  E90
i think that has " let weeman take it round the ring" written all over it.

Lmao I'd never noticed the RAC van in the background before, LOL Update that membership, will be easy to push though. BTW i dont have to lift off when i change gear so Ner ner ne ner neeeeer ;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Weeman said:
i think that has " let weeman take it round the ring" written all over it.

Lmao I'd never noticed the RAC van in the background before, LOL Update that membership, will be easy to push though. BTW i dont have to lift off when i change gear so Ner ner ne ner neeeeer ;)

Hehe don't worry I'm a member. I'll follow you one lap and then you can followe me ;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
jon_r said:
Nice Si. Everything tow OK?

Will pop over an see it one evening soon!!!!!

yup pretty steady at 65mph was fine. Yeah come over. Its all tucked up in the garage :D

E90
Whats the german for Owned, Tom knows it, I'll be shouting it at followed by "Blitzkrieg" ;)

Make a vid quick sharpish, i wanna see it in action.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
More pics.

Attachments

• Sibine Striker Run 003.jpg
    Sibine Striker Run 003.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Sibine Striker Run 017.jpg
    Sibine Striker Run 017.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Sibine Striker Run 020.jpg
    Sibine Striker Run 020.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 171

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Why don't you flat shift up??

Used to do it in the last R1 striker i drove. Hope its got an uprated clutch or it'll last about a week and the pedal feel with desend into nothingness.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Waitey said:
Why don't you flat shift up??

Used to do it in the last R1 striker i drove. Hope its got an uprated clutch or it'll last about a week and the pedal feel with desend into nothingness.

I don't think you can mate. Yes it has an uprated clutch. Considering its two years old I think its ok ;)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
DarthCake said:
I don't think you can mate. Yes it has an uprated clutch. Considering its two years old I think its ok ;)

Ok. Its probally best that you don't flat shift in the long run hehe.

One thing i found was the gearchange was very clunky around town speeds. They work better when driven fast officer!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Yes thats what I found, alternatively dipping the clutch and shifting means its less clunky. :)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Hehe cheers Waitey. :)

New wheels will be ordered soon and new paint scheme coming at the end of the year, for now, stickers stay. :)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Leave the stickers for a while. Looking stupid is part of the fun of driving one.

I'm still trying to find the right one to use as an only car. Mad i know but they are great cars. Shame most of them are too track orientated. I went to see one which was perfect for me hood and heater etc etc except the owner 'forgot' to tell me 2nd and 4th didn't work.