ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB182: Before the BANG - Supercharger content

R26
So i bought a Supercharger kit about 6-7 weeks ago for the 182, and had it all fitted over the last week, the kits fitted a treat, was on the RR and making great power on its final map tweaks when BANG the bottom pulley slipped = dead engine!

Graph of the death...

stufly.jpg

Bad times!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely gutted mate

Bet you wish you had just bought the mini now lol, so what are you going to do?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is it just a case of sourcing a replacement lump and fitting it? If so, not to worry too much mate. Chin up!

R26
gutted buddy. was it on the dyno when it happend?

Yeah it was mate, not even full chat either and the belt came off, still in one piece...

Absolutely gutted mate

Bet you wish you had just bought the mini now lol, so what are you going to do?

Haha yeah thats come to my mind a few times over last few days but not really much point in looking back now - only thing i can do mate, get it running again.

Noooo, I wanted to see this at the weekend!

Gutted for you mate.

Believe me mate i wanted to have it out this weekend too! :(

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Nooooo the belt didn't move. The bottom pulley slipped round. Happened to mine when I didn't use a new bolt on the crank pulley.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Gutted for you mate! I'm unsure as to if i want to go hunting for power in my sport or just buy a bigger car. Think i might do the latter after hearing stories like this.

Gutted for you mate! I'm unsure as to if i want to go hunting for power in my sport or just buy a bigger car. Think i might do the latter after hearing stories like this.

Spend it on handling/brakes instead. No risk and a much wiser choice.

Im glad I didnt go down the SC route, trust me!

R26

Yeah i thought this through before deciding to do it, and to be honest noone else has had engine problems due to a charger unless something has being incorrectly fitted prior, as Paul said his f**ked cause he didn't use a new bolt on the crank pulley, the same reason DannyR's went.

Everyone other one has been totally fine apart from the obvious gearbox/clutch's if theyre driven too hard.

R26
Gutted Stuart!
You're having some trouble with that RB mate! :dapprove:

Tell me about it pal! Kinda wishing id have looked past the swamp donkey looks of the 200 and done what you did... but as i said no point in looking back now, just need it back on the road :)

Da

Less
That's why I chopped mine in mate, I'd modified it more than I ever should and it was a constant worry that something would break!

182 FF
Gutted for you, horrible when things go so badly wrong. Looks like it was pulling very well before it went, don't lose heart with it though. If you have come this far it would be a waste to not get it finished off.

BMW M5 & E36
Would that cause it, or is it when the pulley was put on with an old bolt like pauls

Crankshaft pulley comes off to do the cambelt, so if the bolt either wasn't replaced or wasn't torqued correctly when refitted then that would cause the pulley to slip, as has happened, putting the timing out and valves meeting pistons.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Crankshaft pulley comes off to do the cambelt, so if the bolt either wasn't replaced or wasn't torqued correctly when refitted then that would cause the pulley to slip, as has happened, putting the timing out and valves meeting pistons.

Makes sense.

Does the belt get changed to fit the supercharger though?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Makes sense.

Does the belt get changed to fit the supercharger though?

Wouldn't have thought so unless the engine was having forged internals fitted at the same time. The aux belt would have to come off obviously, but the supercharger kits are more or less just a case of bolting the bits on and mapping to suit as far as I'm aware?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
No, but with the car being 6 years old I'd imagine it's been done at some point in the past.

Wouldn't have thought so unless the engine was having forged internals fitted at the same time. The aux belt would have to come off obviously, but the supercharger kits are more or less just a case of bolting the bits on and mapping to suit as far as I'm aware?

Right, so the charger runs off the aux belt? I'm learning here lol

And yeh, i know he did get it done at the start of the year.

Stagecoach Ticket
althought it is abit of a fu*ker surely u can just buy a new lump and rebuild it so it will not happen again? providing it hasnet damaged the rest of the SC kit? at least then you will be happy with it and you will be running a reconditioned engine for like £600?

Trophy Turbo :)
may i point out if you get a megane 225 bottom timing toothed wheel it had a locator too stop the stupid pressed design of the 182 spinning round on its own its happed too me as per rstunings comment always replace that bolt :)

i have 16 valves if required

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Who did the work on it then? (Assuming its not DIY?)

Are they going to sort the problem out?

One thing ive never understood about the 172/182 F4R's is why did Renault use a keyed crank pulley?

Yeah, the timing is 'floating' and you have to spin the belt over to tension it without anything tight - but even if the crank was locked/keyed the cam pullies are still floating so it would time up the same anyway? The slots are there on the crank and pulley too?

Trophy Turbo :)
Its a shite design, very poor, the Megane 225 isnt like that now, its the pully that has the Woodruff key on it, stopping the thing spinning on its own!!!

If i had a high powered clio 172/182 and had to do the belt id buy one and swap it over

Evo 8 MR
Its a shite design, very poor, the Megane 225 isnt like that now, its the pully that has the Woodruff key on it, stopping the thing spinning on its own!!!

If i had a high powered clio 172/182 and had to do the belt id buy one and swap it over

Like most things on the Clio tbh.