ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Realtime Graphics / Game Engines

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've tried re-uploading the recent video I made - this time in 4K (I had to upscale from 1080p original lossless source as trying to path trace a native 4K image and record at the same time is just not happening!) I think the video quality is a little better but it's not great. As Mark says, it's basically due to the low bitrate limits that YouTube imposes to keep file sizes down, and also made worse by the fact that path-traced visuals don't play well with video encoding algorithms.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've tried re-uploading the recent video I made - this time in 4K (I had to upscale from 1080p original lossless source as trying to path trace a native 4K image and record at the same time is just not happening!) I think the video quality is a little better but it's not great. As Mark says, it's basically due to the low bitrate limits that YouTube imposes to keep file sizes down, and also made worse by the fact that path-traced visuals don't play well with video encoding algorithms.

I know it's still not as good as it looks on your screen, or in still images, but it's certainly a massive improvement over the 1080p video. Thanks for that 👍
I think my computer would melt if it tried to render a frame of that 😂

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A few more renders as I dip in and out of this ongoing project. (y)

52657223071_994fa87ead_h.jpg

SIPT Test Render (Mecabricks) by Andy Eder, on Flickr

52662111470_ae9f1bf8ef_h.jpg

52661669326_1b2d282c5d_h.jpg

52737861492_78322d48a9_h.jpg

SIPT Render by Andy Eder, on Flickr

52738635289_7da4f82f03_h.jpg

SIPT Render by Andy Eder, on Flickr

52775216065_3f5bdae2dd_h.jpg

SIPT Render - Mazda 787B by Andy Eder, on Flickr

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Was going to post this. Looks incredible. Wonder what sort of hardware you’d need to run that?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Was going to post this. Looks incredible. Wonder what sort of hardware you’d need to run that?
Probably nothing too extreme, the developer was talking about the possibility of porting it over to current gen consoles so presumably an equally powerful PC would run it fine. I don't think he's done anything towards optimisation yet though.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
As much as I watch Unrecord, I'm finding it really difficult to get excited by it. It appears to be using a lot of simple photogrammetry with an excessively oversaturated primary global light source and there are a few things that don't quite work as I'd expect. Of course, novel use of "bodycam" filter effects help mask some of the things whilst giving the look and feel of authenticity (which works well). But graphically, I'm not convinced it's all that if I'm honest.

EDIT: I'd like to see some other dev videos with perhaps the same environments but with different primary lighting conditions and times of the day (for example).

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As much as I watch Unrecord, I'm finding it really difficult to get excited by it. It appears to be using a lot of simple photogrammetry with an excessively oversaturated primary global light source and there are a few things that don't quite work as I'd expect. Of course, novel use of "bodycam" filter effects help mask some of the things whilst giving the look and feel of authenticity (which works well). But graphically, I'm not convinced it's all that if I'm honest.

EDIT: I'd like to see some other dev videos with perhaps the same environments but with different primary lighting conditions and times of the day (for example).
I know exactly what you mean. Everyone is talking about it looking hyper realistic, but really the impressive thing isn't the model details or textures, it's how the dev has absolutely nailed the video look. When you see the camera moving around freely in the environment before beginning the playthrough it looks good, but it doesn't look exceptional, but when the gameplay starts and the filters are applied it really does look just like a video. The movement animations are a big part of that, along with the filters.
It's also very different to most games where they try to make things look as they do to the naked eye, whereas this has really tried to capture what things look like when viewed through a camera lens.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I know exactly what you mean. Everyone is talking about it looking hyper realistic, but really the impressive thing isn't the model details or textures, it's how the dev has absolutely nailed the video look.

Yup, one million percent that mate - it's the presentation of the "video look". It's a long way from hyper-realistic (at least from my admittedly critical eye). I couldn't have said it better myself. :p

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Sharky have you come across 3D Gaussian Splatting?

Yes mate, although I've not done any work/research in that area specifically. It's similar(ish) to some light probe baking stuff I did way back where we used spherical harmonics and probe/point captures to capture light samples within a given 3D environment. 3D Gaussian splatting uses a somewhat novel technique to present the image though; where each captured point is represented with a blob (or Gaussian particle) - each blob has a position in 3D space, covariance parameters (how it is stretched and scaled), alpha (how see-through it is), and a colour. The blobs are rendered depth-sorted and can give cool results. As long as the scene is static! Of course, I have massively simplified things here as there is quite a bit more to it than rendering blobs to the screen! Such as the point cloud data capture and the "training" that takes the data and synthesises it into something visually meaningful.

It's a very different algorithm and technique to existing rasterisation render pipelines, though - so it's not particularly trivial to shoehorn into existing setups and generally needs a bespoke renderer creating. There are, of course, several examples available online though. It will be interesting to see where it goes in the future.

(y)

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate, although I've not done any work/research in that area specifically. It's similar(ish) to some light probe baking stuff I did way back where we used spherical harmonics and probe/point captures to capture light samples within a given 3D environment. 3D Gaussian splatting uses a somewhat novel technique to present the image though; where each captured point is represented with a blob (or Gaussian particle) - each blob has a position in 3D space, covariance parameters (how it is stretched and scaled), alpha (how see-through it is), and a colour. The blobs are rendered depth-sorted and can give cool results. As long as the scene is static! Of course, I have massively simplified things here as there is quite a bit more to it than rendering blobs to the screen! Such as the point cloud data capture and the "training" that takes the data and synthesises it into something visually meaningful.

It's a very different algorithm and technique to existing rasterisation render pipelines, though - so it's not particularly trivial to shoehorn into existing setups and generally needs a bespoke renderer creating. There are, of course, several examples available online though. It will be interesting to see where it goes in the future.

(y)
Cheers mate, some of the examples on that link are mental.

Seems hot stuff right now with some pretty wild applications.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, it seems that many people are jumping on the bandwagon and either nicking other peoples' implementations or writing their own interpretations of the algorithm! :ROFLMAO: It could indeed prove very useful in some industries, definitely. It can very easily fall apart, though - and requires some pretty hefty processing and storage requirements for acquisition and data training. That said, the final result can look stunning (as long as you don't look too closely). Maybe some clever AI coupling down the line will see it able to handle animation/moving scenes and reflections (rather than snapshots in time of static scenes as with the current implementation).

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Do you do any map creation or use game engines? I love map creation and used far cry editor but commitments stopped me from continuing or getting into unreal engine or the likes.

This was something I did a bit ago in far cry 5 editor, I was annoyed they didnt include the editor in fc6 :(

2.png

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Do you do any map creation or use game engines? I love map creation and used far cry editor but commitments stopped me from continuing or getting into unreal engine or the likes.

Me, mate? Not really, although I am familiar with many of the game engines. My interest is more in the tech/software that drives it, and I've had the "pleasure" (I use the term loosely) of working on quite a few, including Unreal, Unity and CryEngine (amongst others). When I say working, I mean as in working on the underlying code and systems that comprise the engines rather than from the point of view of using them to create content. A good friend, and former studio boss of mine, used to be the director of tech for Crytek's CryEngine. :cool:

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Me, mate? Not really, although I am familiar with many of the game engines. My interest is more in the tech/software that drives it, and I've had the "pleasure" (I use the term loosely) of working on quite a few, including Unreal, Unity and CryEngine (amongst others). When I say working, I mean as in working on the underlying code and systems that comprise the engines rather than from the point of view of using them to create content. A good friend, and former studio boss of mine, used to be the director of tech for Crytek's CryEngine. :cool:

Very cool!! Perhaps I should of continued with what I was doing re maps/engines and I could of bought a gt4 instead of a clio :LOL:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've not had much time to work on my path tracer research of late but I found the unedited footage of some stuff I did aaaaaages ago. Which I'd forgotten about. So I decided to throw a quick video together to "get it out there" for my vast army of subscribers and followers... 🤣

It's just a few simple animations that have been rendered out using my path tracer. They aren't particularly spectacular; it was more an exercise in implementing a basic animation import into my engine. It is what it is. Whilst it won't be giving Cyberpunk worries over artistic content, it does have some pretty funky stuff going on under the hood. For a "homebrew" project, it has led to some interesting professional discussions, work opportunities and offers to work with the likes of AMD, nVidia and Pixar. Not that I'm bragging or anything. :ROFLMAO:🤐🫣

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK Do you have any knowledge on the id Tech 3 engine? The Infinity Ward engine was based off id Tech 3 and COD4 (2007) on the pc with the mod promod was my favourite fps of all time. No game I've ever played can compare to the physics of that game with the promod mod.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Also, if I had to compare playing Cod4 promod to Cod Modern Warfare (2019) The last cod game I had the GREAT pleasure of playing. I could only describe it of being the difference of a rather nice lass going up to you and doing all the work to get you back to the bedroom, compared to standing in a fresh steaming pile of XL Bully s**t.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK Do you have any knowledge on the id Tech 3 engine? The Infinity Ward engine was based off id Tech 3 and COD4 (2007) on the pc with the mod promod was my favourite fps of all time. No game I've ever played can compare to the physics of that game with the promod mod.

Yes mate, insofar as I've poked around in the idTech3 ("Quake 3 Arena" engine) code and am familiar with the tech. It was a significant rewrite of idTech2 and, as you say, provided a base for IW's engine. I've not done much else with it other than write my own BSP level viewers, MD3 viewers, etc. (but that was a LONG time ago!)

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate, insofar as I've poked around in the idTech3 ("Quake 3 Arena" engine) code and am familiar with the tech. It was a significant rewrite of idTech2 and, as you say, provided a base for IW's engine. I've not done much else with it other than write my own BSP level viewers, MD3 viewers, etc. (but that was a LONG time ago!)

When I have to search code terms and such you write 😄 Thanks for sharing the info though mate!

231231321.png

Me right now...🙄

32232123.png

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
When I did my media studies final project in college, I was knowledgeable of the games (cod4) in built editing 'client' I think it was called, I used green screen but was able keep animations of the players and incorporated that into my video, like running with the gun, zooming in with the sniper scope, shooting someone and seeing them die. The idea was that the game took over my mind and I couldn't tell what was reality, so at the end I jumped 'fell' off my garage and died in real life (my mate accidentally failed to catch the camera and it turned out that was the perfect shot as it looked realistic :LOL:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Here's another video I've just uploaded that shows the path tracer in action. Again, it's a bit boring, but it's kinda difficult showing what is happening underneath that makes it all possible! :ROFLMAO:

(The black background glitch on the section with the multiple male heads is an encoding glitch and not caused by my software! I can't be bothered to go back and redo the video now though).

I'll post a few screenshots later. Possibly. If I remember!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
As mentioned in my last post, here are a few updated images straight from my project. Nothing too exciting I'm afraid (but then again, I've not had much time to devote to it recently!)

Mech thing:

53280987113_4951825387_h.jpg

SIPT Test Render by Andy Eder, on Flickr

53280996138_4acb52b8f3_h.jpg

Glass thing:

53281169490_6af28d2feb_h.jpg

(More) Car things:

53280713441_56053d9c5c_h.jpg

53281180555_66fde30811_h.jpg

Walkman thing:

53280994848_a2d8716749_h.jpg

53279819922_c6bce41991_h.jpg

Nasty Xeno-thing:

53281177860_eb9f6c2b92_h.jpg

Muddy thing:

53281174105_87242620bc_h.jpg

Antique dress thing:

53280715386_b26b1b36a4_h.jpg

I'll try and have some more interesting content next time! :ROFLMAO:

(On a side note... in the antique dress scene above, the textures alone are taking up 630MB - and that's compressed!) 🤓