ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear abs cables help

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm in the middle of replacing half my rear brake setup and stub axles. Changing from non-sport DISC stub axles to 182 stub axles for the extra track width.

Anyway, after removing it all I've noticed that the plugs on the abs sensors where they plug in to the cables on the car don't match up.

The nearside abs cable for the non-sport ones has the same connection as the offside one on the 182 stub axles. So the stub axles on like for like sides are different like so:

useba2uv.jpg

Old one on the left, new on the right.

Is it ok to just plug these back in on the car so the nearside sensor is going into where the offside one was (if that makes sense). Or would this cause problems?

grazo22 AlexW any ideas? Remember seeing you mention something about abs cables round the wrong was on grazo's thread.

Cheers guys!

Last edited:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
On my disc axle the left and right were like that and plugged into the cars loom without alteration. Alex had to swap the plugs over I gather though, making sure correct plugs for left and right abs sensor. You could maybe try and get the abs sensor subloom (which runs along the bottom of the car) from an earlier model.

Have you taken the otherside off yet as the plug is probably male

Can't you use your old ABS sensors in the 182 stub axles, that's what I'm doing now. Either that or I'm reading something wrong, I'm aware you can't use the RS ABS sensors you'll have to use 8200186298/299 (you're old sensors) they fit correctly to my plugs and I'm ph3 too :)

Audi A5
Couldn't you be very careful and push the ABS sensor out of the stub axel' sand swap over?

Is is their really that much difference between the sport and non sport axels? Wouldn't a set of spacers been easier?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Grazo, I've got the otherside off as well, it's a male connection going to the stub axle, so they're just complete opposites atm

I tried to get the abs sensors out the new stub axles and they just wouldn't budge so I wasn't sure if they even separated from the stub axle. Are they usually pretty tight to remove?

The non sport axles have a completely different bolt setup. I bought spacers a while ago then realised I couldn't even fit them on non sport ones without getting new bolts made up lol. Problems with my brakes meant it was easier to just get a whole new rear beam and strip the parts off I need, hence why I'm using the stub axles too

Many.
Hello!

I had this issue. Pluging them in the wrong way round will cause issues, ABS unit will end up pulsing the wrong brake, not ideal!

What I did, was plug in the sensors at the back, then swap the pins round at the plug near the subframe at the front. Meant I can keep Sport ABS sensors.

Pushing the sensors out normally ends up f**king them up, they are bloody tight.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hello!

I had this issue. Pluging them in the wrong way round will cause issues, ABS unit will end up pulsing the wrong brake, not ideal!

What I did, was plug in the sensors at the back, then swap the pins round at the plug near the subframe at the front. Meant I can keep Sport ABS sensors.

Pushing the sensors out normally ends up f**king them up, they are bloody tight.

Ahhh! I was just about to post and ask if that was possible! Is the plug at the front easy to get to? And is it just two plugs like at the back or is if a multiplug with different pins in it I need to swap?

Many.
4pin Multi plug, not that hard to take that whole loom that goes to the back. Just make sure you swap the correct pins, and don't get confused. Not that hard, just don't rush it.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Oh just to add to this, new rear abs sensors are £300 for the pair and only available from Renault.

I know as I bought a pair. :(

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers for all the help guys!

Nearly s**t myself when I read the price of those abs leads, meanwhile I'm just sitting throwing them around like they're nothing...whoops!

4pin Multi plug, not that hard to take that whole loom that goes to the back. Just make sure you swap the correct pins, and don't get confused. Not that hard, just don't rush it.

How can I tell what the right pins are? There's two white and two black wires. Do the colours correspond to a side or do one of each colour go to either side?

Also I've got the plug apart but can't see how the wires come out of it...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Abs sensors work on electromagnetic impulse so don't matter as long as they are swapped in pairs.

Many.
Good question. Been months since I've done it.

I'd suggest removing that entire loom, noting which is left, etc, then swap them over. Pins come out by means of a very small tag, its hard to see.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ah okay, is the car useable with them the wrong way? I realise it's not exactly safe lol but I was meant to be going down to a relatives house for dinner an hour ago LOL, so if it's useable I'd just hold off removing the look until tomorrow

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Honestly, if you're after an increase in rear track width then it would be easier to stick with your existing stub axles and add a spacer. The looms will swap but if you're going to install ESP wheel speed sensors to a non-ESP ABS module then that in itself will cause a problems as the modules are patched differently so as above you will have to move pins about in the plugs.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
sburrell93 photo of the plug. Hopefully you get an idea of where the location is. That bush is the left inner ARB bush. The loom from here to the rear plugs comes completely off so you can do the pin swapping on the bench.

Mick, can you explain that a little more. I've got no issues with mine, beam came from an 03 172 non cup. Sensors went straight in. 26 tooth abs module.

47354061-03C1-4DDC-A923-AE68614FE20B_zpsfahfyhgt.jpg
363CA265-A6BE-4F0F-A2E3-5F4B9EC48785_zpscny3skf7.jpg

Last edited:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers mate! I'll get a good look tomorrow and get everything off and sort it out hopefully!

Mick, I've got spacers too, but the non-sport disc setup has e-torx head bolts, not the usual countersunk bolts with nylocs on the other side, so I couldn't use the extended bolts with the spacers. I had a rear bearing away with the pads not being great, and needed a new caliper too, so ended up buying a full rear beam for cheap. So it was easier to use the stub axles rather than get new bolts made up for to use the spacers with the non sport stub axles

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Swapped the wires over on the loom today, black with black and white with white, but the ABS light has come on. Anyone any ideas?

Also are faults ABS self clearing? Or will I need to get them cleared?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
ABS is self clearing at every key turn. Sometimes the system needs to "see" rotation before it'll clear and this scenario is what myself and Alex was talking about. You've changed the sensors which are resistence based and have a known value. This value is most likely wrong and is causing you problems.

Ideally you need diags to see what is making it throw the light on

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yes but it's not as simple as that as it's the ABS modules software that is the controlling factor here and depending on what version you have will dictate the routes available to you. Personally I'd start with a Diag session and see what is actually occurring before reinventing the wheel all over again.