ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear brakes and hand brake not working on Phase 1 172

hi guys!

First of all can i wish you all a merry xmas!

My problem is as follows.... a few months back i had new rear pads fitted as they were running low, a couple of weeks after this i noticed one of the back brakes locking on as the wheel was very hot during normal driving. The car was up for an MOT so I had a new caliper fitted and it passed no probs. The brakes were in general good conditon no except an advisory for worn front discs.

Last week I had new front discs and pads fitted and the mechanic doing this remarked that he thought the rear brakes were still binding on but he couldnt recreate the fault during normal driving( the wheels werent getting hot and no sign of excess brake dust on the wheels etc) but he could defo feel some kinda sticking.

To try and remedy this he pushed the rear pads back away from the discs and bit and gave me the car back but my trouble is that the rear brakes now no longer work at all(can tell as the disc face is rusty and doesnt clean up after the brakes have been applied serveral times) and the hand brake is non exsistant.

Why would this happen? faulty compensator?

thanks in advance!

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
hi & merry Xmas. Basically, if you fancy getting your hands dirty, few things to check, Id start with operation of the calipers, you can simply check if the fluid is coming down the line, get an assistant to pump the pedal, hold it down, crack a nipple open, & see if you get fluid out for a few seconds, if you do then you have proved fluid would operate the caliper.

The next thing would be to check the piston isnt seized in the caliper, you can simply do this by removing the caliper from the disk, slowly pump the pedal and see if the piston gradually moves out, but dont do it to far as the piston will pop out, now wind the piston back in, should go back without to much resistance, also check the handbrake part of the caliper is working, disconnect the cable from it, & actuate the lever with ya hand back & forth, you should see the piston move in & out. Then to the handbrake cables.... each cable should move freely back & forth within its sleeve, if they dont or there stuck, they are seized. If you check all these area's, im sure you will find your fault.

Cheers Mike. Yeah I thought about starting with the basics but I assumed that one of the rear callers being only months old and the fact that the brakes were fine before the work on them that I would be looking at something out of the ordinary ?