ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear caliper options

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Would like to rebuild my rear calipers but been reading that they're a pain to put back together.
Remember seeing a 1*2 with smth like 197 rear calipers (I think as he also had brembo fronts) and was curious if this is easily doable or not.
Or any other compatible caliper instead of the old 80's bendix stuff.
Cheers!

Mk3 non sport rear hubs and discs with 197 calipers. I would do this if I could get it all for cheap but am just going to rebuild the calipers for now

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Just fresh seals inside and maybe pistons work wonders. You don't have to mess with the handbrake mechanism at the back.

Easy enough to do.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Yeah this is the first thought - rebuild the caliper- but always had the impression that it's a poor design compared to - say the 197 rear caliper.
But I may be wrong and the std unit refurbished should be good?
I'm having poor brake performance and want to sort the calipers and fluid before dealing with abs module /or master cylinder stuff

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've just done my 172 rears, easy and like @jamesBsaid leave the handbrake seals alone except for the covering boot

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
All the ones I've rebuilt have pulled 160kg each on the MOT rollers, which is about as good as you can get.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
All the ones I've rebuilt have pulled 160kg each on the MOT rollers, which is about as good as you can get.
What is the piston diameter? I can find 30 or 32mm seals but which is the one?
Thx!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yep get the Bigg Red kit, FYI they are loads cheaper on eBay than on their site