ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Exhaust Mount Bolt Spinning

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Hi Guys,

Recently bought the powerflex exhaust bush that pushes into the standard mount. Went to unbolt the exhaust mount and the centre of the three bolts is just spinning now after some considerable force. Im guessing there was a captive nut welded on the back that has snapped off leaving me stuck. Anyone know if you can access the back of that after removing the bumper/wheel etc? Seems to be enclosed in some sorts of chassis rail

Cheers

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
From memory 2 of them are easily accessible from the top, I just cut the captive nut's off and replaced them with stainless items.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Should be able to access them with everything in place, there is room to get some mole grips on the captive nut if you're not confident in cutting it off

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Should be able to access them with everything in place, there is room to get some mole grips on the captive nut if you're not confident in cutting it off

Sorted it in the end. There seemed to be no access what so ever to the back of the middle of the three bolts with the mount in place. I Removed the exhaust from the mount, removed the two bolts (front and back) and span it round. This allowed me to get a hacksaw blade in to cut through the bolt. Once the mount was out of the way, i was able to get my fingers into a hole that had been covered by the mount itself. What a pain!! Powerflex is in now, less exhaust rattles going on