ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear shock lower bolt snapped.

Renault Clio Extreme
So i don't seem to be having much luck with bolts on this car at all, changing rear shocks and the lower bolt snapped pretty much flush so cant really get hold of it with anything. What would be the best way to go about getting it out? willing to give anything a go if there's a chance it will work!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Hold a nut up to it and weld the centre. You'll be able to get a socket on it too

Make sure you put a washer in between the beam and the nut though

Like this

1592950397210.png

Renault Clio Extreme
Alright will give it a shot! only thing is i have never done welding... if i was to just get a cheap one of amazon like this would it be easy enough to do? This way i have an excuse to buy a new toy and get the bolt out, perfect!

Renault Clio Extreme
So just an update, got a half decent welder and all equipment needed ,managed to weld a bolt on but as soon as i put any strain on it it comes off... its like its not even sticking to the bolt. What am i doing wrong here? Yorkshire Pudding please help lol

Renault Clio Extreme
Right sorry if i sound stupid here but it's this welder i got and i have it on max 2 so 90? with 4 wire speed. Looks like it just gets cold as soon as it hits it the end of the broken bolt. First time trying welding so again sorry for been sounding so clueless.

2014 Clio 200t edc
When this happened to me many years ago, mine snapped flush too and was drilled out by a garage due to my inability to do anything remotely useful like that! You might get a mobile welder to come out to you. Failing that drilling it out will definitely sort it.

Renault Clio Extreme
Ah right so what you are saying is i have just spent 200 quid on the welder + equipment for no reason other than to play about with scrap metal in the garden?.... ffs :LOL:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right so what you are saying is i have just spent 200 quid on the welder + equipment for no reason other than to play about with scrap metal in the garden?.... ffs :LOL:

You might be able to get enough weld on it if you slow the wire feed rate down and also stay in one place a bit longer.

But yeah, 90amp is about only good for sheet metal work really.

Renault Clio Extreme
Well thats one of the more costly mistakes i'v made this year.. know any one looking for a 90amp mig welder? only used once.

Will try slowing the wire speed down and taking a little longer tomorrow see how things go!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Well thats one of the more costly mistakes i'v made this year.. know any one looking for a 90amp mig welder? only used once.

Will try slowing the wire speed down and taking a little longer tomorrow see how things go!

Are you using a nut and welding up the inside?

You said something about using a bolt. That won't have enough surface area just welded around the outside like that.

Need a nut with the same internal diameter of the bolt M12 is it?

Renault Clio Extreme
Aye i was putting a washer then threading a m12 nut on whats left of the bolt witch is like one thread, Then i was kind of circling the weld inside of the nut until it reached the end of the nut but once the nut broke off it looks like the weld had just gone cold and not attached itself to the bolt at all. I mean it took no force at all to break the nut of which was disappointing to say the least

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Aye i was putting a washer then threading a m12 nut on whats left of the bolt witch is like one thread, Then i was kind of circling the weld inside of the nut until it reached the end of the nut but once the nut broke off it looks like the weld had just gone cold and not attached itself to the bolt at all. I mean it took no force at all to break the nut of which was disappointing to say the least

Yeah does sound like a cold fusion.

Renault Clio Extreme
Nah don't think so, there is just like 3 threads of the bolt sticking out. Will get some pictures up tomorrow once it's daylight. Could order some m14 nuts as well and give every size a shot! you think the welder has the power to do it though or am i kind of wasting my time here?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Iirc @Gus loves removing snapped rear shock bolts
Yeah , they are a pain. It only happens when you force the bolt back in, you have to make sure you can get screw it in with your fingers, adjusting the height of the beam with a jack so it's perfectly in line with that bolt.

I ended up replacing the rear beam lol.

Renault Clio Extreme
Not filling me with confidence here guys...
New nuts should be here tomorrow and if i don't manage to get them welded on i think the next step will be to try drilling it out, if that doesn't do it i may be half tempted to sell the car and start again with a new one.. lol. Car only cost me 200 and i'v already spent over that on this bloody bolt.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
If it's sheared the bolt you'll also need to apply some heat to the threaded section within the beam after you've welded the nut on, it'll come out easy enough once heated

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If it's sheared the bolt you'll also need to apply some heat to the threaded section within the beam after you've welded the nut on, it'll come out easy enough once heated

The welding process should provide all the heat needed.

Just noticed you're named after a thread type 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If welding doesn't work try cut it through the hole in the end of the subframe so you have less to drill out

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
@Kenny. Where are you based? Can help if you're close by

Can't believe no-one tagged me in here :O The welder you have will be absolutely fine to do that job - won't need anywhere near those amps for that.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

Can't believe no-one tagged me in here :O The welder you have will be absolutely fine to do that job - won't need anywhere near those amps for that.
Agreed.
Make sure both surfaces are prepped and shiny metal then put it on about 6 wire speed and max2.
Try earth it through the bolt itself and maybe get it glowing before welding too

Renault Clio Extreme

Hi mate, unfortunately im in the Outer Hebrides so a fair bit away! haha. Cheers though.

Haven't got round to trying it with the m14 nuts with the rain all day but tomorrow looking better so will give it another bash then, so just clean surfaces stick welder on max and go at it? think i can manage that!

Renault Clio Extreme
Day 5. Starting to feel hope again..

Had another go at it today, little more success with the new nuts got the bolt turning a wee bit before the weld started breaking again. There is a nice bit of weld added on to the bolt now though so a little easier to get the nuts on. Going to try sticking an m16 nut on it tomorrow morning.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Day 5. Starting to feel hope again..

Had another go at it today, little more success with the new nuts got the bolt turning a wee bit before the weld started breaking again. There is a nice bit of weld added on to the bolt now though so a little easier to get the nuts on. Going to try sticking an m16 nut on it tomorrow morning.
Quench it with penetrating oil every time.

Renault Clio Extreme
Aye its soaked in oil, seems to be getting there. Was loosening it by a turn then tightening it again then loosening by two turns and so on but it just came to a dead stop and started breaking the weld again. Think it should come though. getting closer at least!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you're starting to get it moving then get a wirebrush up the rear beam tube where the bolt protrudes and keep soaking it in penetrating fluid

Keep getting it glowing hot and then pour water on it and let it cool, then keep doing it over and over and it will release any bits of rust on the threads

Renault Clio Extreme
Have you heated it up? Heat loosens anything

Not directly just because i wanted to give it a shot with the heat of the welder before spending more money on a blowtorch. I mean the nut is getting red hot and the end of the bolt still in the beam was sizzling when i sprayed some oil on it so think there is a good bit of heat going through. If i cant get it out tomorrow i might get hold of a torch and try heating it before the weld. Was planning to just drill it but i'v heard that can be a pain so want to try avoid that now if i can haha

Renault Clio Extreme
If you're starting to get it moving then get a wirebrush up the rear beam tube where the bolt protrudes and keep soaking it in penetrating fluid

Keep getting it glowing hot and then pour water on it and let it cool, then keep doing it over and over and it will release any bits of rust on the threads

Will keep going at it tomorrow, went through like 4 nuts tonight due to filling them with weld then having them snapping off but it seems to be working. Honestly i think this has put me of working with suspension on any car ever again lol

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Will keep going at it tomorrow, went through like 4 nuts tonight due to filling them with weld then having them snapping off but it seems to be working. Honestly i think this has put me of working with suspension on any car ever again lol
Keep at it mate, they're not all like this

I've only ever had 1 shock bolt snap on me and I've broken at least 20 clio's now and done suspension work on plenty more too. An impact gun, WD40 and a wire brush are your friends with UK cars

Renault Clio Extreme
i just cant believe how much trouble one bolt can cause, I thought i was in the clear when i got the front sorted but then i let my guard down and this happened, lesson learned always prepare for the worst haha