ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear shock lower bolt snapped.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I find that I don't put a time scale on things anymore

If you think it's going to be an easy job then you're thinking in a very naive manner. Unless you've had the car fully apart and greased everything 😂

Renault Clio Extreme
Im beginning to realise that..

This bolt has pretty much become my second job, few hours before work try the bolt, few hours after work try the bolt. Sooner its done the better before i really lose it haha

Renault Clio Extreme
Thats what keeps getting at me, i can usually find the positive in things like this but im really struggling here :ROFLMAO: i can only justify spending so much on a bolt before i start to have a breakdown, im already halfway there i think one more thing might send me over the edge haha

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Don't forget you'll need a new shock bolt to put the car back together 🔩👍. It would be an extra kick in the spuds to have to wait for a new bolt to arrive after spending all that time removing the old one 😂.

Renault Clio Extreme
Was just going to order some new ones, think it was 70mm m12 if i remember rightly, only know because i ordered 6 of the front ones 55mm m12 and they are to short. At this stage i have more nuts and bolts than i ever thought i would need but i always seem to have the wrong ones lol

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
If you are struggling with the welder but some EZ outs and don’t forget to get a tap and tap the hole out again so it is a clean thread when you put the new bolt in

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You need to build up some metal on the snapped bit over and over so it protrudes out, then put a nut over that bit you've built up and then weld inside it.

Make sure you allow it to cool fully before doing anything again and don't quench at all. Quenching it will weaken the weld and cause cracks in it and it will snap off. (imagine heating up a glass and dunking it in cold water)

20200708_115853.jpg

Dont be spraying it with oil to quench it whatever you do, just asking for the nut to snap off each time. You need to make sure everything is imperically clean before welding or you're just shooting yourself in the foot. It's like washing yourself in the shower with mud. For the weld to actually weld it needs to be clean.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio Extreme
What I will say is, make sure you're building up some metal on the snapped off bolt before going full ham with the nut. Doing a drawing for you now one sec

Will have another go at it tomorrow now and try building the bolt up a bit more. Cant seem to get it to turn anymore so have given up for today again.

Appreciate the help man, determined im gonna get it out now one way or another!

Few pictures here:

IMG_20200708_160603.jpg
IMG_20200708_160709.jpg
IMG_20200708_160628.jpg
IMG_20200708_160618.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Will have another go at it tomorrow now and try building the bolt up a bit more. Cant seem to get it to turn anymore so have given up for today again.

Appreciate the help man, determined im gonna get it out now one way or another!

Few pictures here:

View attachment 1484767View attachment 1484770View attachment 1484768View attachment 1484769
Okay cool, what nuts are they? Make sure they're not zinc plated as that will affect the weld. Just self colour mild steel nuts should be used. Are you using gas with the welder? If not are you using the flux cored stuff? If no gas make sure it's the correct wire.

Keep making that bolt as shiny as you can back to bare metal and clean everything up too

Be careful if those nuts are zinc coated as the galv coating will come off when welding and the fumes are really toxic

Renault Clio Extreme
Ah.. the nuts are zinc plated.. will order some more tonight.

The welder is gasless, just using the wire that came with it which is the flux core stuff so no problems there.

Dont think i will try with them nuts again if the fumes are that toxic lol

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Ah.. the nuts are zinc plated.. will order some more tonight.

The welder is gasless, just using the wire that came with it which is the flux core stuff so no problems there.

Dont think i will try with them nuts again if the fumes are that toxic lol
Yeah the flux core stuff should be okay. Definitely try with the new nuts and go from there. Another thing to consider is the amount of friction that's going to be generated on the inside of the beam too - Get all of that grease off with a small wire brush and penetrate some plus gas spray on the inside there. At the moment it looks like the threads are caked in god knows what underneath that copper grease.

Basically anything that's going to cause friction is going to go against you - in this case the grease is okay in a long term anti corrosion way but now you need penetrating oil on the inside.

Wish I was able to just bob around and help haha

Renault Clio Extreme
Yeah the flux core stuff should be okay. Definitely try with the new nuts and go from there. Another thing to consider is the amount of friction that's going to be generated on the inside of the beam too - Get all of that grease off with a small wire brush and penetrate some plus gas spray on the inside there. At the moment it looks like the threads are caked in god knows what underneath that copper grease.

Basically anything that's going to cause friction is going to go against you - in this case the grease is okay in a long term anti corrosion way but now you need penetrating oil on the inside.

Wish I was able to just bob around and help haha

Alright shopping list is mini wire brush, m14 mild steel nuts and some plus gas. Will get them ordered tonight.

Il cover travel cost and buy you a beer if you come help :ROFLMAO:

Renault Clio Extreme
You can call it a working holiday, enjoy some nice views and a spot of fishing then help with what is probably a 10 min job that has taken me a week somehow :LOL:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well this thread is an ordeal.. :LOL:

A drill and some cutting fluid would’ve probably got it out faster by now.

Renault Clio Extreme
This whole car has been an ordeal.. :LOL:

A drill may have been easier but then i wouldn't have gotten to enjoy this great experience, and i wouldn't have a new welder to play with lol

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
This whole car has been an ordeal.. :LOL:

A drill may have been easier but then i wouldn't have gotten to enjoy this great experience, and i wouldn't have a new welder to play with lol

Did you manage to get the bolt out by welding a nut to it?