ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear shock - replacing tonight quick advice needed!

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
Hi All,

Am going to my mates to replace a rear shock tonight he has plenty of experience as he's a mechanical engineer but I still want to check a couple of things.

Can somebody who knows for definite confirm that:

I do not need to jack the car up

I do not need to remove the wheel

I just need to undo the to nut inside the boot and the one going through the bottom of the old shock and the shock should then just pull/drop out?

Then slot the new one in and tighten top then bottom?

Appreciate the help thanks!

Nothing at the mo :(
Hi All,

Am going to my mates to replace a rear shock tonight he has plenty of experience as he's a mechanical engineer but I still want to check a couple of things.

Can somebody who knows for definite confirm that:

I do not need to jack the car up - Think ya do :s might be wrong

I do not need to remove the wheel - no just easier

I just need to undo the to nut inside the boot and the one going through the bottom of the old shock and the shock should then just pull/drop out? - yeah think so

Then slot the new one in and tighten top then bottom? - again yea think so

172 cup
dont think it would be any easyier with wheel off to be honest

and you will need to jack it up once the bottom bolts loose to take the strain and to be able to line up new shock to bottom bolt hole

Nothing at the mo :(
dont think it would be any easyier with wheel off to be honest

and you will need to jack it up once the bottom bolts loose to take the strain and to be able to line up new shock to bottom bolt hole

Only easier so you got more room to move.

172 cup
Only easier so you got more room to move.

:nono:I dont think you need the extra room and without the wheel on its going to be harder to line the bolt hole up as theres going to be nothing pushing the rear axle up to line the hole up to fit new shock

b/g 182, meg tourer
my only tip would be, are you replacing the rears as a pair? if not, i would do if i were you. its not a must but definatly recomended.

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
Thanks guys. so if I do go the jacking up route where is the official jacking point?

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
Not replacing as a pair as I am selling the new owner will be told and can then replace the other if they wish.

Titanium 182 Cupp'd FF
Thanks for the advice all! Easy job afterall. Didn't need to take the wheel off in the end and did use a jack mainly to help line up the bottom bolt when fitting the new shock on.

Anybody thinking of paying Renault the £70 the want to fit one shock don't bother do it yourself with a friend to help pass you stuff!

Thanks for the help.

172 cup
no worries mate glad to help. Id say its the easiest thing to do on them to be honest, probably easier then an oil change with the fuel guard being in way of filter