ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 GT turbo race car

Renault 5 gt turbo
New turbo finally on and all mapped.
Birkett relay at Silverstone this weekend.
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG

Renault 5 gt turbo
This has plagued us all year. A persistent oil leak, which we now know from the sump, causing lots of problems.

All fixed so looking forward to Brands on the 30th.

leaky sump.JPG

Attachments

• engine.JPG
    engine.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 73
  • engine.JPG
    engine.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
  172 Ph1
I say that's a mighty big hole in the sump , can't see where it is thou , can't make it out .
Nice motor btw .
Good luck at brands

Renault 5 gt turbo
I say that's a mighty big hole in the sump , can't see where it is thou , can't make it out .
Nice motor btw .
Good luck at brands

Thanks, yes not the best picture, that's the last bolt hole at the half moon for crank....
We welded it up and all seems good, nice to have car running and not have oil dripping out.
Looking forward to Brands.

Renault 5 gt turbo
Thanks Sonny, glad we finally found the problem, was driving me mad.
Clutch was knackered, oil/heat destroyed it !! Was slipping badly after a couple of laps.

Renault 5 gt turbo
Brands Hatch.
Yet another frustrating days racing.
Qually was a disaster with the new Kumhos rubbing at the rear, poodled round getting in the mandatory 3 laps without destroying the n/s rear tyre.
19/40 with a 58.9
Back to pits and got the grinder out to remove some of the rear quarter bodywork.

Race 1
Had a good few laps getting up to 7th and car felt great, then coming out of Clearways, it went onto 3 cylinders and I knew we had bent some pushrods
Race over and another DNF.
Back to pits and decided to change rocker assembly to the one we ran at Thruxton that worked !! lucky we only live 5 mins away to collect rocker.
3 hrs to next race so stripped and replaced rocker assembly just in time before we was called for race 2.
Best lap 55.8
Race 2
Started 31st, pushed hard from the start to try and catch the French boys and cooked my tyres. Car was nowhere near as good as the first race due to my impatience.
We managed a respectable 9th and our first finish of the year!!!
Best lap 55.4

A frustrating day finished on a high, followed by a club BBQ with the other racers which we really enjoyed.

172 Ph1
Brands Hatch.
Yet another frustrating days racing.
Qually was a disaster with the new Kumhos rubbing at the rear, poodled round getting in the mandatory 3 laps without destroying the o/s rear tyre.
19/40 with a 58.9
Back to pits and got the grinder out to remove some of the rear quarter bodywork.

Race 1
Had a good few laps getting up to 7th and car felt great, then coming out of Clearways, it went onto 3 cylinders and I knew we had bent some pushrods
Race over and another DNF.
Back to pits and decided to change rocker assembly to the one we ran at Thruxton that worked !! lucky we only live 5 mins away to collect rocker.
3 hrs to next race so stripped and replaced rocker assembly just in time before we was called for race 2.
Best lap 55.8
Race 2
Started 31st, pushed hard from the start to try and catch the French boys and cooked my tyres. Car was nowhere near as good as the first race due to my impatience.
We managed a respectable 9th and our first finish of the year!!!
Best lap 55.4

A frustrating day finished on a high, followed by a club BBQ with the other racers which we really enjoyed.

Them darn pushrods , good job it's a relatively easy job to change in-situ .
That's a common thing on C1J's isn't it ?
Well done for trying anyway .

What's the story with the tyres now then ? Sounds like they caused you no end of trouble on first outing.

Renault 5 gt turbo
Them darn pushrods , good job it's a relatively easy job to change in-situ .
That's a common thing on C1J's isn't it ?
Well done for trying anyway .

What's the story with the tyres now then ? Sounds like they caused you no end of trouble on first outing.

Yes luckily an easy job to change, so got to play again.
We haven't bent any pushrods for years when we did something wrong, last 4 seasons not bent any.
Something not right in this engine....

Tyres are fine, we just need to raise the rear up slightly to prevent rubbing and don't drive so aggressive :)

182cup & 172 racecar
It was great to have it back out there Dave.
And at least you got a cheer for seeing the chequered flag. :)

172 Ph1
Ran out of talent :)
Thought I would dive up the inside which was a bad decision as there was no track, hit the grass...... lucky not to hit anyone!!

You did well not to hit anyone . Good effort [emoji1303]
Now I've found these threads , I will be keeping an eye on them as an avid track going chap , got the toys just need tuition to keep me on track lol .

Renault 5 gt turbo
The 5 did well at Snetterton qualifying 8/31 in very tricky wet conditions.
Race 1 , good start getting upto 4th and holding position on a wet track to finish 4th.
Race 2 in blue skies and near perfect conditions.
Starting on the second row in 4th place, we get upto 2nd place within the first lap behind a M3. After a couple more laps we get swallowed up by a couple more M3's and a V8 Capri. We are hanging onto the back of the Capri until we start losing power, held position for last few laps.
Best lap time of 2.16.0

Capri.jpg