ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 GT turbo race car

Renault 5 gt turbo
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG
Few pics
IMG_0389.JPG

Renault 5 gt turbo
Hope the car was on the ball :smile:
We had an absolute shocker !!!!
Got on track to do a few laps with hardly any brakes. Discs were slighty rusty where cars been sitting over the winter so needed a few laps to clean them up. Brakes getting better, then developed a misfire. After 5 laps got pulled in for being too loud.
Car wouldn't start after that and when it did only on two cylinders, Found the problem 6hrs later after stripping everything. The loom had been burnt through from the exhaust manifold.
Got to do a few laps in the Megane trophy R which was good, a cup of strong coffee and home.

Renault 5 gt turbo
Easy repair mate, now we know what it is.
Shame to waste a day but I guess that why we go testing to find any problems.

Renault 5 gt turbo
Couple of little jobs to finish off before next weekend at Brand Hatch.
Going to be the first time out in the car on race day.

Renault 5 gt turbo
Car went well, few electrical gremlins all day but a 4th and 6th overall with a best time of 56.3.
The new set up is very responsive and was good fun. We need to sort suspension as loosing traction through the corners.
Overall a great days racing considering its first time out with the EFI.

Renault 5 gt turbo
any power figures since the efi conversion, or top secret :wink:

No secrets here mate :) Power figures are down since converting to efi. We are running a different turbo set up to make the power earlier with more torque. Engine a lot more responsive with the efi.
200bhp with 197lb/ft @4500rpm

Renault 5 gt turbo
Great weekend at Thruxton.
Arrived Friday to get all set up and did a track walk in the evening, wow, really hits you the speed of the track wide and flowing, that's why its so fast.
Saturday qualifying was disappointing as not confident in the slippery conditions. 12th with a 1.42.
Race 1
Great start making up some places, running in 5th place, catching Dinger who had issues with Sonny closing fast.
Heading towards Church which is superfast and engine cut out.....got through the corner and turned ignition off and back on, car came back to life but lost the place to Sonny and finished in 6th place with a 1.33.
Race 2
Rubbish start losing places but had a great battle with James supercharged Clio and Sonny for many laps.
Sonny lost the rear causing spin and took to the grass to avoid losing lots of time to James, then the clutch starting slipping badly on the fast corners so just nursed it home for 5th place an best time 1.32.

Work to do for Cadwell... New clutch and try and find the cause of the engine cut.

Good stuff. Really enjoyed race 2 even though I still hadn't properly got to grips with the circuit.

Seems like our cars are fairly evenly matched so there should be some good races to come for class G honours!

I am not sure I will be able to make cadwell, but I should be at Silverstone either way.

Renault 5 gt turbo
Some serious mid-range grunt in that thing. Car does definitely look a bit of a handful though!
Runs out of puff now though on the new set up, 5th gear is like an overdrive . Used to pull all the way to the top.
Going against all the advise from people who have helped set the car up in the past :) hopefully will be better for cadwell as way to soft as I keep telling everyone!!! Can hear it spinning out of the corners.
Should have race 2 uploaded tonight, was good fun.

Runs out of puff now though on the new set up, 5th gear is like an overdrive . Used to pull all the way to the top.
Going against all the advise from people who have helped set the car up in the past :smile: hopefully will be better for cadwell as way to soft as I keep telling everyone!!! Can hear it spinning out of the corners.
Should have race 2 uploaded tonight, was good fun.

Yeah I could see that, midrange is great but does seem to get a bit breathless later in the rev range.

Renault 5 gt turbo
Engines coming out to take a look at the clutch.
Couple little bits to do while its out.
Hopefully be done for Cadwell..

Renault 5 gt turbo
All back together with another clutch pressure plate.
Just found a leaking crank seal.......... No time to pull it all out again.
Will give it a run this week to see how bad the leak is.