ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

renault dont stock oil for 197???!!!

Black 197
i think a few people are missing the point here. handbook for 197 says it requires 5w 40. closest garage to me is the dealer. they dont stock any. the guy at the counter agrees it needs that oil but coughs that they use 10w 40. in my opinion thats wrong. i dont give a toss what the physical differences are. again let down by a dealer who dont stock a part that they have printed and they would invalidate you warranty if you took them a seized engine due to lack of oil. edde i apologise for telling you to sod off, but your posts seem to be aimed at creating sparks for an argument.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
i cant honestly believe someone is daft enough to: -

a) ask a dealers parts personnel to get parts for a car, i know of two who know what theyre doing out of all the dealers i deal with on a day to day basis, the rest are about as much use as a chocolate hammer, and

b) order parts from a dealer, when cheaper and in some cases better parts are avaiable from any motorfactors, especially seen as renault dont normally bother with renault oil they just use castrol or a similar product, although im only talking on the experience i have of dealers i know here.

a) My local dealer had 2 members of staff with clio 172's always know what i wanted first time

b) local motorfactors don't have a clue what a clio 172 is and my nearest one is miles away.

RS 200
It does seem a little strange that they dont stock it but this gives you the opportunity of getting your own.

Had my 197 oil changed yesterday. Asked for the price of oil at the dealers which was £55. Had a look around and instead went for some Shell Helix 5w - 40 which I got from local shell garage for £45, which also got my Shell Drivers Club points on.
Took it to the dealer and told them that I was supplying my own oil, no problems and they just charged for labour and a new filter.

At the end of the day, you pays your money you takes your choice !!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Cant believe people still pay exess amounts at a stealers for an oil change

Most garages like quick fit and the likes charge you £10

Clown Car
I'm not having a go but does nobody use the search function anymore?, i posted recently that you could buy Elf Excellium LDX 5w40 that Renault recommends, direct from Total Butler, you buy a case of oil which is 12x2litre bottles for £99 delivered, you keep enough oil for 1 or 2 oil changes for yourself then sell the rest, it will work out to be £25 per 6 litres of oil, you keep extra for a top-up.

edde - get a f*****g life - we are all entitled to OUR opinion, isnt that why we have these forums, to express OUR opinion and share knowledge - NOT be ridiculed by arsy 'know it alls' - i am no fool and know when the performance of my car is suffering due to oil that has degraded quicker than it should have BECAUSE IT WAS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE

i was under the impression this forum was supposed to be a friendly place for like minded petrol heads and renault enthusiasts - not a forum for ridicule or belittlement

Your entitled to your opinions I've never stopped you. I'm pointing out that Renault have done nothing wrong under the Renult specifications something which if they show to you if you try making a big deal of this is going to make you look planly wrong. The manual isn't the bible.

If you know so much about degraded performace etc with used oil then you'd also know that chnaging the oil more than renault warently specified intervals does wonders for the car and the service intervals on the cars are just set due to warently demands more than anyhting else.

The fact its 10-40 has nothing to do with degrading though its juts thicker when cold.

This forum is for friendly place though yep hence why were telling you enault arn't in the wrong. If you feel hard done by me explaining that Renault are Ok with what they did then please drop a message to one of the forum admin/moderaers and ask for my banning or warning about my conduct and use of abusing language towards you.

Just because we have an opinion doens't make it right or wrong but if facts differ from your opinion then unfortunatly facts stay opinions don't matter.

i think a few people are missing the point here. handbook for 197 says it requires 5w 40. closest garage to me is the dealer. they dont stock any. the guy at the counter agrees it needs that oil but coughs that they use 10w 40. in my opinion thats wrong. i dont give a toss what the physical differences are. again let down by a dealer who dont stock a part that they have printed and they would invalidate you warranty if you took them a seized engine due to lack of oil. edde i apologise for telling you to sod off, but your posts seem to be aimed at creating sparks for an argument.

An engine failure would be a Renault UK warently claim (as are they all) a service book stamps by a Renault delaers covers you. Lack of oil is different than the wrong oil if Renault dealers use the wrong oil then engine does fail then its a RUK warently calim the RUK warently departemtn deals with the garage if it can be proved the dealers at fault.

I didn't mena to start an argument though sorry if it appears that way but on the other hand this issue has been covered at lenght time and time nagain just noone tries to look for themselves or accepts that manybe the book is wrong.

I'm not having a go but does nobody use the search function anymore?,

This is the problem even if they do they don't accept it.

Chocolate Bar™
my local renault dealers do stock elf excellium oil which is £25 for 5 litres and in my opinion is fine for my clio. so if you wanted it from renault you should go to a proper dealer, or ask the idiot behind the desk to find someone who knows what theyre talking about.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

I agree.

I also believe that the dealer would avoid all warrenty claims where possible and would potentially hide behind the matter of oil viscosity.

I myself would write to renault head office and detail the service and ask them what their stance would be if a problem occured from the use of the wrong oil spec on two counts:

1.) If they put the oil in.
2.) If you/independant garge put the oil in.

Despite what they say I bet they would say its something you have done if a problem occured.

No matter what anyone says about the grade of oil I wouldnt feel comfortable using an oil not specified by the handbook. If they say that is what it requires then they should supply it. This is not what you want after spending £15k!

What a joke.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Hmmm my service book says use 5w-40. At my last service my dealer put in 10w-40 so I phoned RUK. They said specifically I was to use 5w-40 and get the dealer to change it. They also used "Comma Economy" oil, what a joke.

If I'm paying a bloody fortune for a dealer service, then they should surely use what Renault say they should use!

BMW 330d :)
Every service I've had on my car at the renault garage was done with part synthetic oil, that was the least of my problems however as on one occasion they "forgot" to do the sump plug up properly and my engine lost all its oil while I was driving it away!!

Then renault said that the fact the engine was running on no oil for at least a mile would cause no damage to it at all!!

Of course it needed a new engine 6 months later and it cost me over £1000 as it was just out of warranty!!

Shocker...

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Every service I've had on my car at the renault garage was done with part synthetic oil, that was the least of my problems however as on one occasion they "forgot" to do the sump plug up properly and my engine lost all its oil while I was driving it away!!

Then renault said that the fact the engine was running on no oil for at least a mile would cause no damage to it at all!!

Of course it needed a new engine 6 months later and it cost me over £1000 as it was just out of warranty!!

Shocker...

Yes I know the dealership in question....they don't seem very good at oil changes :S