ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renaultsport/Cooper S Rivalry

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Does anyone else find this is rife on our roads.

Recently ive come across a few cooper s who want to get infront of me but cant seem to manage it.

The dirty looks at traffic lights too, ok so i shouldnt laugh and point and hold up "BINI" signs....

Im not saying i participate in road racing just that there seems to be a "thing" between the clios and the binis.

hmmm no wat u mean had the same rivalry with a cooperS on the a1 on way up home wudnt let me pass him then when he went into inside lane he tried to boot it past me, had to put him into his place :)

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup

Yep must of had this sort a thing 5 times this year they must get past u but they neva learn do they most recent was a convertable "s" last week not come across a works yet though would be interesting :devilish:

VaVa

Mini Cooper S Cabriolet. Today. OWNED. It was a guy driving it too. I was like "Dude, as if the normal Cooper Ss arent camp enough!!" He seemingly took offence to my little Euro Box (politely) handing him his ass on a plate.

Mini Cooper S sport

Although I see LOADS of minis I havent come up against any Cooper Ss so far...but Id love to, especially one driven by a bloke! How humiliating would that be? Owned by a Clio driven by a girly!

S1 Elise 111S

Gave a ride to a mate who had a Cooper S at the time just after i picked up my 182 and he concluded it was a fair bit faster than his, without putting up much of a fight.

Only had a few Bini drivers try it on (without success) but the rest do seem to have a dirty smug look on their faces.

Nice cars and all, but dont quite get the attitude...

Ziel Nurburgring

Maybe because its a BWM derivative they think they are the business. In most cases theyve paid £17k+ for the car and think the rule the road. Must be a shock when they see a crappy little french thing they cant get past. Wouldnt think its just clio drivers who get it, anything that gets in their way is inferior.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

yep i get this...minis and pugs for some reason.....

guy at work has one....hes always telling me how quick it is....uh huh..whatever...lol...

Weeman sucks ****

ive only ever seen 1 cooper s or works driver that looks near my age. the rest are all a lot older and never seem to drive them even moderately quick. shame eh;)

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 16 April 2005

Most Ive seen are driven by old biddies who dont rev it over 2k.
Im glad this point finally cropped up as I was about to say Ive only ever seen (presumably loaded) middle-aged women driving Cooper S around these parts. Its them or Cooper Learner cars bloody everywhere, never seen a Mini being pushed and often pass them on the dual carriageway pottering along. Cant understand why so many people want the fastest model but dont even remotely use it, surely the Mini One is more appropriate for many?!

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

haha...heres the ultimate rivalry for you- i own a 182 (200bhp) and my brother has an MCS which is also 200bhp, plus we live in the same house!

My cars faster and was four grand cheaper (although more expensive to tune) and you dont see 182s all over the place- plus theyre never drive by old biddies lol. Thats the bottom line really!

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by Dancliovalver on 16 April 2005
would a standard cooper s beat a standard valver??????

Yep, they are about midway between a cup and a 172 iirc, but only if they arent driven by miss daisy.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

One tried o undertake me this week but didnt let him. He was with passenger though but mine isnt really standard.

133/225/CLS AMG

The missus dad is getting his Mini Cooper-S next week. The thing that makes them so costly is that every little thing gets added onto the basic package.

His will have leather, air con etc but considering it adds up with all the packs (chrome etc) and stuff to £18.5 that doesnt get a CD player as he said he didnt want one. Why not have that standard though!! :confused:

Doesnt help I know some little twerp whose mummy and daddy bought him brand new one. Id be pleased for him if he wasnt such a gimp so that put me right off them lol

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

yup i love minis!!!!! I often say OWNED!!! when an event happens! Except one the other night..... i didnt wanna fook with it! Had a wider track than mandy dingle!!! Looked so low and mean and was by no way standard!

Its always yellow ones i find that lose out LOL!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Ive got a 182 and the wife has her Cooper S. She hates hers though! :cool: Definitely no rivalry in our house and Ive yet to personally see any on the road.

She likes the VX220 as a possible replacement, but Id love her to get a V6 Clio. Not that Id argue her getting the VX220 either!

D.

Clio 1.4 Fidji

I noticed that too, mini drivers always think they are better than everyone lol, earlier today a red sporty one, cooper or something never noticed what model tbh, tried to get ahead of me at lights i floored it in second and bye bye mini lol, the 1.4 is quick in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quicker than i thought it would be for a small engine :)

also anyone noticed that nova sr drivers think they can beat anything??

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 16 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Dancliovalver on 16 April 2005

would a standard cooper s beat a standard valver??????

Yep, they are about midway between a cup and a 172 iirc, but only if they arent driven by miss daisy.
The 16Vs stats are about the same as a Cooper S.

... and "mid-way between a 172 and a Cup" is a very, very tight place!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

they seem to have the same attitude as 316i drivers.
"i paid sh*t loads for my car, so its got to be quicker than a little french hatch"
personally, i love it. it makes me smile to see them disapear in the mirrors.

--chris

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)

Boy in my work drives a Cooper S, was chatting with him the other day and told him Id become the proud owner of a 182. He said; "yeah, not bad little cars but built quality isnt on the same par as my BMW and as for the performance, are they really all theyre cracked up to be!"

LOL!

My best mate has got a Cooper S, but he has admitted that it isnt quicker than my 172.

Although we had a little go once, and it can hold its own, but my mate is a very good driver. I beat him on acceleration in the end tho.

Hmm, im currently looking at buying a Cooper S works, went out in a 210bhp version last night. Now these cars may cost a lot more, but the interior, build quality, and residuals suit the price tag. Id never buy a 182 because im not a fool when it comes to money, the ridiculous depreciation cups and 172s have seen will be followed in the 182!

A Cooper S works would give a 182 more then a good run for its money no doubt! The interior, design and overall build quality is top notch too, and id much rather pick up a girl for a date in a Cooper S then a 182, surely the most important decision to be made in car choice ;)

cock mobile.

Is there anyway to tell the Cooper S apart from the Works?

Arent the works ones suppose to be completely sh*t hot, and from a 1.6?? I guess they do cost a fair whack more than a 182 tho!

Clean16v: I can defo see where you are coming from on the depreciation, but some people cant afford to fork out that amount to begin with, and dont want that cash sitting on the drive, would rather have it in the bank!

[Edited by sh33n on 4/19/2005 2:34:07 PM]

The Works usually has noticeably bigger exhausts, and the whine from the charger is a lot louder. There are different versions of the upgrade available, JCW is just one of teh companys, BBR GTi do a 220bhp conversion. The JCW Cooper S come with a badge.

This depreciation arguement always makes me laff. Take the Golf GTi vs 182 in terms of depreciation; the Golf brand new is £20k - you wont get ANY reduction on price. Ive seen a report that the GTi will be worth 55% after 3 years - say £11k. That means a loss of £9k or £3k a year.

The 182 RETAILS at £14700 and with extras (cup packs etc) gets over £15k.

Has anyone paid this? Most will pay 12-12.5K for a UK spec car? The value of the 182 after 3 years will be 40% of RETAIL value - say £5800.

This means the real value has dropped by £6700 (based on 12.5k purchase price) which is some way short of the Golf GTi!!!!!

No doubt this also applies to a Cooper S Works retailing at over £20k (with no discount)!!!!

What does everyone else think?

182 can be bought for 12,500 new. They are now for sale 8 months down the line at 10k listed, prob knock them down to 9.5k for cash. Thats a MASSIVE hit. Cups and 172s are now going for 6.5k! Thats almost 50% depreciation! Cooper S works are still fetching 15k all day long.....at most thats a 25% depreciation over 3 years, unlike a 50% hit in 2 years.......

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by gunnergibson on 19 April 2005

I think the girl would be picking you up in a cooper s works..
lol just show a girl the soft touch plastic on the door cards and around the stereo, they love it!

not a clio anymore

I would be careful about depreciation figures of the Mini. It has held its value very well until now, partly because the demand was high and there was not enough supply. Now that the car is getting older, there are more on the second hand market and their value will fall down quicker (I didnt say as quickly as a Clio).
The Mini is a nice car, my Clio is already too small for me, let alone a Mini. And as stated previously, having to pay extra for anything is a disgrace.
The BIG plus is the TLC package in my opinion.

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 19 April 2005
The Works usually has noticeably bigger exhausts, and the whine from the charger is a lot louder. There are different versions of the upgrade available, JCW is just one of teh companys, BBR GTi do a 220bhp conversion. The JCW Cooper S come with a badge.

Theyre not any bigger than the standard ones, theyre just slash cut rather than rolled in.

I take back what I said at the start of this thread about never seeing anyone give it some in one of these er cars. I now see every morning a guy in a grey s with a number on the side and mud flaps. hes also got 4 spot lamps on the grill...looks quite funky but it must blind everyone going the other way!

50% depreciation is pretty standard in the industry wouldnt you say? Even though the Cooper S has possibly the best residuals around, in pure financial terms I dont think the 182 etc deserves the kicking it gets.....