ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renaultsport/Cooper S Rivalry

Golf R/Leon FR

i had a guy in a MCS try and pass on the inside lane of the A19 on sat. he tried his best to get ahead of me but i ent past him no trouble and you could tell he was trying his best. tbh i thought they were quicker than that.

I do find it ironic the minis with Great Britian flags on their roof etc. They may be made in Oxford but lets face it there a small BMW and a german flag on the roof would be far more accurate.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by adamcmoran on 19 April 2005

I remember reading the same debate on Mini2 a while ago, they slated the 182, there was no respect there at all.
I think im banned from mini2, my dad is too.

His mini kept eating PS pumps.

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 19 April 2005

coopers are w**k, cooper s aint that special either, cooper s works is a different thing altogether
i thought you didnt like people taking the piss out of them? lol how come you cant and we cant? you sure your not a woman?

in the end youll buy what you like and thats fine, im sure most people will be ok with your sexuality aswell...

B-road bully

mins arent that bad ill admit, they have a solid bmw feel to them tho ther overpriced, n too crapped inside, feels way smaller than a clio, n thers no seriousness to it, luks lik a toy car.

MINI JCW

according to autocar the 182 is about 4 secs quicker and an earlier evo test including the 182, MCS, CTR, Pug GTI and Focus ST the clio was 2.4 secs faster to 100

All the residual talk is interesting. Ive been looking for a new car recently. Used to own a Cooper S and it was one of the most disapointing experiences I have had. Did feel slower than my old 182 and the traction/ride on wet B roads left a bit to be desired. Some of that was IMHO the runflats fitted as std. Have been looking into running a Cooper S Works.

What is worrying in Mini kingdom is the deprectiation that now seems to be hitting the Mini. Many nicely specd cars are losing £4-6k in a year. How many 182s have people seen with low miles for £7k? Most things have a supply and demand side and I wonder if the Mini is just starting to suffer supply greater than demand on the second hand market?

jaf78, cooper s are a bit on the gay side? what, and clios arent?

and as for the "fisher price" interior, maybe the designers just wanted to be different. i have thought for a long time that too many cars are too similar to every other car. mixing things up a bit is a fresh idea imo. like i have previously said, 182s and CUPs and MCSs are very similar in speed. not a lot in it. i am not going on numbers on a page but experience of ownership. i have had 3 clios and 3 minis. yeah the minis cost more but you get what you pay for.

alex 19, if you supercharged a 2.0 and compared it to a supercharged 1.6, i wouldnt be surprised if there was a difference!!

[Edited by The Don on 20 April 2005 at 9:55am]

chins, that depreciation bit isnt accurate. i sold my mcs for 4 k less than what i paid after 3 years of ownership and 37k on the clock. they are more in demand now as 50% of production has gone on the cabriolets.

Quote: Originally posted by docter fox on 20 April 2005

coopers are w**k, cooper s aint that special either, cooper s works is a different thing altogether
i thought you didnt like people taking the piss out of them? lol how come you cant and we cant? you sure your not a woman?

in the end youll buy what you like and thats fine, im sure most people will be ok with your sexuality aswell...

Who said i dont like people taking the piss out of them? Everyone is allowed there own view, its just the rubbish that annoys me, a CTR with 5 people in beating Cooper S works etc.

dk

911 GTS Cab

the residual thing is a bit skewed anyway, people assume that because the second hand cars are going for nearly as much on the BMW forecourt as a new one that they are being traded in as such.

I have several friends who have tried to trade their minis in and trust me, they are being offered nowhere near what the garage then try and sell them for on the front.

There is a massive markup for trade-ins and the garages are winning. You will lose a lot on all the options you add to the car, this is something us 182 owners dont have to worry about as our cars are fully specced up anyway so will lose very little money on these.

Clean, your still mad for getting one when you will have over 200bhp at the wheels Id imagine, but best of all completely NA, none of this cheating! Oh yeah, Williams 2.2 litre... Ill say no more ;)

Quote: Originally posted by 16vnutter on 20 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by docter fox on 20 April 2005

Who said i dont like people taking the piss out of them? Everyone is allowed there own view, its just the rubbish that annoys me, a CTR with 5 people in beating Cooper S works etc.
what can i say othe than the CTR came past it. im not talking like it absolutely hammered it but none the less it cames past. if you want to call it rubbish its up to you matey, i know what i saw and for me thats that. would never throw that much cash at a works. am quite happy with my 182 cup:)