ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing track rods and the plastic fitting

Clio182
I'm looking to replace my inner track rods and have seen lots of posts which refer to a plastic fitting which sometimes needs to be split in order to get the crows foot spanner in there.

I can't seem to find those plastic parts anywhere: could someone point me in the right direction to a supplier?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Not sure which bit you mean.

I've never had to split anything to remove them.

Clio182
IMG_03E68F24C3FD-1.jpeg

Clio182
The white plastic bushing. The guy who took this photo had to replace it as he split it to get the track rod. He then had to buy a replacement. Unfortunately he posted it in 2012 and I can't contact him now!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Ahh that's the bump stops for the rack.

They sit between the inner tie rod and the rack.

Don't know where you can purchase them tbh.

Just be careful and don't split it 😅

Clio182
Thanks mate - really appreciate that. Looks like it'll be a job for next weekend - better get that tool ordered up today!

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I remember seeing @Dr Jekyll using a viscous fan spanner (I think) to change his tie rods.

I’ve ended up buying both the spanner and the tie rod removal tool for when I tackle this job at somepoint when it comes warms up outside.

Edit: found the page in his project thread:-

I remember seeing @Dr Jekyll using a viscous fan spanner (I think) to change his tie rods.

I’ve ended up buying both the spanner and the tie rod removal tool for when I tackle this job at somepoint when it comes warms up outside.

Edit: found the page in his project thread:-

What I used. The hard part of this job is putting the gaiter back on

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yes that's what I used. Done it a few times now over the years and the tool has always worked fine. Been meaning to buy the one James linked to, but forget so just use the fan spanner when doing the change.

As @ZachB said, the hardest part is getting the gaiter back on as its greasy and slippery. A small screwdriver does the trick.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yeah getting the gaiter back on, especially the driver's side, is a bit of a b**ch because of the space above.

172 Ph1
Totally agree with you , so much easier with the engine out .

0777e385acbfea2e89280fc4ed880262.jpg

10 yrs ago .

This time around , not an option .
So literally just purchased this one to replace a broken item.

a36d94e7eb1a955a5070dc563b1208f8.jpg