ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Restoration Man; Mk1 Naples Valver.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thought i'd get a little project section going, to keep a log of all that's going into this car.

I bought it from a member on here. When I went to view it I was shocked at how solid the shell is. Never seen another mk1 like this! However, I am a loser/sad act/geek and wanted it to be minter than mint. There are quite a few dents, one door is off colour, the sunroof leaks and the rear bumper has had a poor paint job. To anyone else this car looked/looks like a very very tidy example, but to me it was littered with imperfections.

401830_10150819038926184_604319343_n.jpg

First job was the wheels. There is no nice way of saying it, but they were fcuked. Wouldn't hold air, kerbed, paint flaking off... Just wrecked. Then there was the 4 different budget tyres of varying tread depth. So I took the wheels into next door and had the old tyres stipped and binned, the weights removed and the valves cut out. I then took them to a local powder coater for a blasting and fresh coat of 'silver'. The outcome isn't as good as i'd have liked as they don't have any sparkle in them but they are all clean, straight, matching colours and more importantly, hold air and look brand new!

a4f86068.jpg

I then took the wheels back into next door and had 4 Brand new Rainsport2's fitted for the lovely sum of £145 all in. :D

Next up, with CSS looming, I wanted to tackle the bodywork.....
I rang my painter who lives a few doors down from me and he came up to have a look and a chat. We discussed the option of wet sanding the whole car, various touch ups and a s**t load of machine polishing. He also informed me that if I wanted it as mint as my last 'minter' project, the only way forward was a complete repaint. Now at the minute i'm skint so I laughed that off and went back inside excited about spending a few days wetsanding the car.

But that didn't work out. After a long chat with my mate Sam, he reminded me that i'd never be happy. I'd always pick fault and I could never call it a minter.

So.....

Today I took it to the bodyshop and got my hands dirty! All the glass out, all the trims off, sunroof out.... This baby is having a full respray!!

fc67616f.jpg

645bc922.jpg

5880a7e0.jpg

77dccd28.jpg

2008205c.jpg

We looked over the car and found various dents/scratches and scuffs that in normal daylight don't show up. So Dave got to work...

33764ba0.jpg

f3bea43b.jpg

b1ac9fb1.jpg

While the skilled worker was busy, I decided to tackle the interior door pockets as they'd gone crusty. Rubbed them down, and will be painted grey tomorrow.

Old one...

b0f652c1.jpg

Rubbed down ready for satin grey interior paint...

d9c033ed.jpg

I will update this as and when I can. Its not being painted until the thursday before Cliosport saturday so i've got a manic friday to get it ready for saturday!!!!

Cheers. :star:

Edition 30
You're bringing this to CSS? Awesome!

That silver isn't what I'd class as silver either.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm really looking forward to actually finishing a mk1 at long last after haveing so many bits lying around everywhere for the last 4 years....

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Yeah but its a Naples valver so that makes it ok :)

Wierdly mine was ridiculously clean too when I had it - mine was a N reg so should have been a rot box but the arches were unbelievably solid - I miss that car so much!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yes, I heard that the ph2's were the worst for rust but this one is as clean as a whistle.

My ph1 (RIP) got scrapped because it was as rotten as a pear. Literally held together with mastik and filler.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You ever driven one? They are 100% better than a mk2.

Shame they don't have the same power and have terrible build quality. :(

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^ Really? I thought my Williams was better screwed together than the 172 was!

It's just such a nice place to be too.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
^^ Really? I thought my Williams was better screwed together than the 172 was!

It's just such a nice place to be too.

I just mean in terms of rust, laquer peel on the wheels, the engines are a bit pony too imo. F4R is far superior in terms of build quality. (2live's radar will be going apeshit by now!!)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
You ever driven one? They are 100% better than a mk2.

Shame they don't have the same power and have terrible build quality. :(

My best mate bought a Valver for the mother of his lad,
I couldn't believe how quick it was, I drove him around in it for a night and couldn't help but boot it everywhere.

They're a right laugh.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
are you painting the trims all black again? looks a right clean shell. whats the underneeth like dan?

I won't be painting the trims black, They're staying original grey. I've got the paint ready for that. The whole point of this is to keep it looking factory fresh.

The shell is solid. I'm not kidding either!

Punto/Clio GTT
wish mine would be ready for css, i got fcking no chance!

should look epic when its finished mate, you anal b*****d, how much again for roof trims?!?!

this gonna be pretty much completely standard or you got plans for the engine and that, also, you ever gonna finish the one thats at freds? 172 engine in it aint there?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
wish mine would be ready for css, i got fcking no chance!

should look epic when its finished mate, you anal b*****d, how much again for roof trims?!?!

this gonna be pretty much completely standard or you got plans for the engine and that, also, you ever gonna finish the one thats at freds? 172 engine in it aint there?

I managed to get the trims off without breaking them or the clips, so thats saved me £54. PER SIDE!!

This ine is staying standard. Apart from the backbox as that looks so much better than standard.

MY grey one that was at freds is in my garage! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...-very-very-long-project&highlight=superfatdan

Punto/Clio GTT
you do take the piss though (or give it!)

she must be 1 special lady to put up with you!

12 cars?!? what else you got? you have plans for them or just keep em for the sake of keeping em?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I just buy them and use them for a bit, when i'm bored I sell them.

Unless its something special like this.

120d M Sport
Dan, I love this. Please keep on track with it and don't end up ripping it apart and turning it into one of those monster projects that never gets finished!

Respray, then just general maintenance and keeping it original will see a fine car. Don't see many of these near to standard on good nick anymore :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dan, I love this. Please keep on track with it and don't end up ripping it apart and turning it into one of those monster projects that never gets finished!

Respray, then just general maintenance and keeping it original will see a fine car. Don't see many of these near to standard on good nick anymore :(

What are you on about??

Why would I rip it apart? Its been taken apart to paint it. Then it gets put back together. Then its finished. This isn't a massive project. Its not even a big one.

It will be finished by 11pm Thursday 2nd of August. Ga-ron-fcuking-tee.

Punto/Clio GTT
i like the colour of the wheels tbh, its different.

they still look kerbed though bottom right? chunks out the edge <3

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Jealousy is a terrible Trait Mr Wilkes...

Just because mines nearly finished and I only started it today. ;)

Punto/Clio GTT
pmsl! f**k you! youre the one who was like " aw dude, this is gonna be minty mint mintola yada yada" and your wheels are all kerbed, just thought id be a good friend and point it out! cause im good like that. my wheels are brand new, no marks, no kerbings, ill swap you for yours? theyre proper silver btw, sparkles n everything x