ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Revs shoot up after oil change

I've just changed the oil and filter in my car, following usual steps - when I've gone to turn the engine over at the end my revs just shoot massively high and I can hear a whirring.

Wtf have I done wrong?!

The second after posting my last post, noticed one of the nuts to the block above the fuel rail (?) was sitting a bit proud. My mate who's helping then apologised, the nut was over tightened and snapped halfway in to the block. Thus leaving a lovely gap for air to fly through.

Feel daft for not spotting it sooner, my mate is shortly going to die - any ideas what I can do to sort it so I can drive home?!

What a day.

Are two of the front holes on the manifold effectively dummies? Ie; they go through the manifold but nothing underneath? I think so, and this just explains the problem if so - certainly one of them (that doesn't have any bolts in it..) is like this.

But we still couldn't get it off - or get anywhere, round 2 commences tomorrow - anyone got any (1 minimum) manifold bolts they could possibly send me for a bag of sweets? Pretty please?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
My old clio used to shear them all the time.

I did have some lying about but ive moved house and i think i binned them when i moved!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the two in the middle don't actually bolt the inlet down. They're the holes where the engine cover bolts into.

Not sure why the inlet was removed for an oil change, but anyway the bolts only need to be nipped (11Nm).

Cheers chaps, thought as much. It looked like the place to remove the fuel rail on first glance..amateur..

I'll let you know how I get on...
Jay.S yeah it was still running like dream mate! Was! Ha

Right, problem solved - almost. Took the manifold off and filed away the bit of the bolt that was protruding through underneath - bolted everything back up, and - instant start up. It's closed the gap that had opened massively, but it is still there, just.

Now I need a new manifold as this one is a bit damaged from where the bolt hit it, and a spare bolt. Oh and my engine management light has come on.. I assume this is related to unplugging the gubbins on top of the manifold? Just that it's not really showing anything on my code reader.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 96
Has it bent it slightly then, where the bolt has gone through and pushed against the lower part?

yeah exactly that mate - to be honest that pic makes it look a lot worse than it is. Was much more noticeable yesterday, before I'd filed the bolt down.

It's all a learning curve.

Jam how many miles had the Cup done now? Any major hiccups with it out of interest.

Should pick up a manifold for cheap on here whack a wanted thread up.

Ahh right, i take it your mate tried to put a bolt where it wasn't meant to go!

Yep, exactly that.

Jam how many miles had the Cup done now? Any major hiccups with it out of interest.

Should pick up a manifold for cheap on here whack a wanted thread up.

Not many miles at all mate really - not long ticked over 80600; I rarely use it in honesty. No other hiccups at all really; it's been great.

It's the manifold gasket I could do with, not the manifold it's self; that's fine (despite the bit of the bolt sticking out of the wrong hole..)

Not many miles at all mate really - not long ticked over 80600; I rarely use it in honesty. No other hiccups at all really; it's been great.

It's the manifold gasket I could do with, not the manifold it's self; that's fine (despite the bit of the bolt sticking out of the wrong hole..)

Good to hear mate. That's not much at all it was on about 70k when it swapped hands. Was a decent little RS Clio that one.

Ask Adam(Renualt Wolverhampton) on here should do you a decent price.