ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182 Project

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
No aircon with a charger though for all of the 45 mins a year it's required!
Even so I'd still miss it!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Browse the net, source the parts individually for best prices to build the kit up, check the classifieds on certain parts. I bought the kit second hand, parts were missing plus I wanted to change components in the kit like the blue boost hoses to go black for a more OE look which added to the cost.

I'd say off the top of my head it's cost me nearly 3.5k, that's the kit, Adaptronic ECU, installation and mapping, service parts like clutch, cambelt, water pump, sundries.

Inferno 182
That's a big bonus that stock internals are up to the job. If i go down this route I'll probably buy a £600 parts bin to do a mock up. Couldn't face my car being off the road too long. Then just do a weekend swap. ECU wise I'd need to talk to my DTA guy but he's a bit of a genius at mapping anyway, and he only lives a couple of miles away which is also a bonus :)

Thanks for sharing Richard. Really useful info there.

Gee.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
That's a big bonus that stock internals are up to the job. If i go down this route I'll probably buy a £600 parts bin to do a mock up. Couldn't face my car being off the road too long. Then just do a weekend swap. ECU wise I'd need to talk to my DTA guy but he's a bit of a genius at mapping anyway, and he only lives a couple of miles away which is also a bonus :smile:

Thanks for sharing Richard. Really useful info there.

Gee.

You speak to more than person and they'll say different figures on stock internals, the amount of conversations I've had over the months on limits, if/when to go forged for more power. As mentioned when mapping yesterday and reaching 262bhp Chris said that's about the limit on where he'd go to on stock internals, for me I'll take that advice and leave it there. I've heard of people going to 280 but I'm in it for the everyday drive and reliability side of things.

Sounds like good plans for you, get a project thread up when you start, I look forward to seeing it

Ex 182 owner
Stop taunting me with those figures Rich, damn impressive mate. Looks like an ideal amount for a bit more grunt.

Soz I did ask before.. Why is the megan pulley involved?

Ex 182 owner
Thanks mate. Is this matching key present on the standard crank then? If not on the standard 182 pulley.
All good info.

SQ5
You speak to more than person and they'll say different figures on stock internals, the amount of conversations I've had over the months on limits, if/when to go forged for more power. As mentioned when mapping yesterday and reaching 262bhp Chris said that's about the limit on where he'd go to on stock internals, for me I'll take that advice and leave it there. I've heard of people going to 280 but I'm in it for the everyday drive and reliability side of things.

Sounds like good plans for you, get a project thread up when you start, I look forward to seeing it

The thing that nobody takes into consideration is that your bottom end is actually seeing around 290/300 but then your losing it at the flywheel because your using a lot of power to spin the supercharger, something you don't get on a turboed car.

It's more about what boost your are running too as you will start to get too much air blowing past your piston rings and beginning to breath oil. Ideally no more than 0.5 bar on a standard engine.

IMHO 262 on standard internals is too much, but we shall see, I would like to be proved wrong.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The thing that nobody takes into consideration is that your bottom end is actually seeing around 290/300 but then your losing it at the flywheel because your using a lot of power to spin the supercharger, something you don't get on a turboed car.

It's more about what boost your are running too as you will start to get too much air blowing past your piston rings and beginning to breath oil. Ideally no more than 0.5 bar on a standard engine.

IMHO 262 on standard internals is too much, but we shall see, I would like to be proved wrong.
Sound's like a perfect excuse to go forged if you ask me. [emoji23]

Mine was doing 280 for a few k before the supercharger let go.

For what it's worth, I still have the old supercharger brackets and intercooler that I'll sell...

Ex 182 owner
Like the idea of how you can stage all this. Yes kit/Ecu is the start. Then say save another year. Do the internals, derestrict then remap. Bigger fun. Start saving for gearboxes ;)

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
It's the torque figures that you should worry about when it comes to stock internals, obviously with a SC you don't get as much as with a turbo.. I'd expect if you were up around 260bhp on a turbocharged standard internal F4R the torque would be up around 240ftlb+ mine was 230ftlb @230bhp before boost control setup, wouldn't want to go much more on the torque figures.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
220 ft/lbs torque on mine. I've done just over 4k now and still have good compression (190-200 psi) on all 4 cylinders. Nothing showing on the breather at all so to me engine is still in good health. It's all progressive, with it mapped so smooth it's helping it along quite nicely. I also don't drive it like a tw4t everytime I get in it.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
220 ft/lbs torque on mine. I've done just over 4k now and still have good compression (190-200 psi) on all 4 cylinders. Nothing showing on the breather at all so to me engine is still in good health. It's all progressive, with it mapped so smooth it's helping it along quite nicely. I also don't drive it like a tw4t everytime I get in it.

That's why we make the trips to see Chris@efi
Mine is 6k old now with a week long trip to the ring where it was driven HARD!! No signs of any heavy breathing and still a little animal! :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
That's why we make the trips to see Chris@efi
Mine is 6k old now with a week long trip to the ring where it was driven HARD!! No signs of any heavy breathing and still a little animal! :smile:

Exactly, it's having the right people around you. Chris will always map the Clio, his customer service is second to none. I know I can e mail him regarding anything and he'll be on hand to help out. I also have Alex to deal with any mechanical queries as and when I feel the need to ask him anything. I can get by with most things but know the right people are about when needed, this is probably why now the Clio is done mechanically the project thread isn't updated often nowadays unless there's something worthwhile posting about.

I'm hoping to get out to the Nurburgring this year with the Clio.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly, it's having the right people around you. Chris will always map the Clio, his customer service is second to none. I know I can e mail him regarding anything and he'll be on hand to help out. I also have Alex to deal with any mechanical queries as and when I feel the need to ask him anything. I can get by with most things but know the right people are about when needed, this is probably why now the Clio is done mechanically the project thread isn't updated often nowadays unless there's something worthwhile posting about.

Do it, it's amazing I'm fully addicted! Get all emotional thinking about it!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I've been going to Germany since 2007 back in my R5 GT Turbo days then with the Clios. Absolutely love the place

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I've been going to Germany since 2007 back in my R5 GT Turbo days then with the Clios. Absolutely love the place

Where abouts do you normally stay?? We always stay in Kottenborn above Adenau at a guy called willi's B&B, most mornings while eating brekky you can hear the testing and other things going on through the week.... Mint!!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Where abouts do you normally stay?? We always stay in Kottenborn above Adenau at a guy called willi's B&B, most mornings while eating brekky you can hear the testing and other things going on through the week.... Mint!!

When we first went we stayed in a small town called Schuld and stayed at a family run hotel called Hotel Shaefer, about a 10-15 minute drive from the Ring. Another hotel was Hotel Rieder which was a 5 minute drive, and the Pistenklause in Nurburg where we stayed the last time we went. The BEST steak on a stone and 2 minutes from the track, I've been through Adenau many times but not stayed there.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah pistenklause is awesome, we've tagged ourselves on the wall in there a few times, probably everyone's favourite place for steak! Also tagged a load of places at brunchen including the snack shop sign (Nürburgminges) One of the best parts of a trip to the ring are the roads around there, pretty good fun on mountain bikes too! Ahhhh man need to go back now [emoji30][emoji30] at least you are closer to the ferries than us in Devon!!
30ad228bd4899536c41aecee152d73d8.jpg

SQ5
For what it's worth, I still have the old supercharger brackets and intercooler that I'll sell...

Interesting, which brackets are they?

What boost is it running? With it producing 220 ft/lbs your Pistons/rods are actually seeing about 250 ft/lbs.

You'll be fine, I cobbled mine together on my drive over 2/3 weekends and took it before I'd even clocked 1k!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Danny I kinda get what you're saying, but remember it's all through the rev range. Peak power is at 6700rpm, peak torque is about 5700rpm, we're talking about having to be nigh on hitting the rev limit ALL the time to hit peak power, it just won't happen and not for long periods of time in any case. According to the graph I'm actually making more torque than a stock 182 at only 2500rpm and stock 182 power (175hp?) at 4600rpm. It can be driven well under the rev limit but still pull strongly, it's down to how the throttle is used in my opinion. Like I said earlier it doesn't need it's neck wringing out every time I take it out but it's nice having it there if and when I choose to push it.

Another option to make it 'safer' is to fit a 225 head gasket to lower the compression slightly, so I'll be speaking to Alex about it.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah pistenklause is awesome, we've tagged ourselves on the wall in there a few times, probably everyone's favourite place for steak! Also tagged a load of places at brunchen including the snack shop sign (Nürburgminges) One of the best parts of a trip to the ring are the roads around there, pretty good fun on mountain bikes too! Ahhhh man need to go back now [emoji30][emoji30] at least you are closer to the ferries than us in Devon!!
30ad228bd4899536c41aecee152d73d8.jpg
Lol I've seen your tag!!!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Danny I kinda get what you're saying, but remember it's all through the rev range. Peak power is at 6700rpm, peak torque is about 5700rpm, we're talking about having to be nigh on hitting the rev limit ALL the time to hit peak power, it just won't happen and not for long periods of time in any case. According to the graph I'm actually making more torque than a stock 182 at only 2500rpm and stock 182 power (175hp?) at 4600rpm. It can be driven well under the rev limit but still pull strongly, it's down to how the throttle is used in my opinion. Like I said earlier it doesn't need it's neck wringing out every time I take it out but it's nice having it there if and when I choose to push it.

Another option to make it 'safer' is to fit a 225 head gasket to lower the compression slightly, so I'll be speaking to Alex about it.

I fitted a thicker gasket on mine, didn't want to pull my head of originally as it had only done 40k from new but chris@efi said its well worth it, just means it can be pushed a bit harder and safer
44d8d32ac0a67727df2e8f0e3b42caf1.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I fitted a thicker gasket on mine, didn't want to pull my head of originally as it had only done 40k from new but chris@efi said its well worth it, just means it can be pushed a bit harder and safer
44d8d32ac0a67727df2e8f0e3b42caf1.jpg
That's exactly the conversation we had after it was mapped, go 225 head gasket

Many.
Would be a good time to get a few more bits done on it, like supertech valves, obviously give it a full clean up and de-coke, plus a bit more painting.

Tis awesome.