ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RIPP OFF RENAULT stealers !!

clio182 rep in the making
went to sutton park renault the other day, in sunny Tamworth because my head-up display where the clock is, needed new bulbs. I went in and asked the lady how much it would be she got the calculator out messed around abit and come back with a price of ...£84...
I know it means taking the dash top off but its only two blubs. I looked at her and just smiled and said ill leave it. i went nextdoor to the parts place and asked how much a buld was =£4 lol so i brought two, and did it myself. Why do they charge sooo.. much. im certain they would get more custom if they were cheaper?? any one else been for quotes?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I actually don't think that price is to bad, i'd never pay it though.

I guess the book time is something like 0.6, most charge £70/hr then theres £4 for the bulbs plus the vat, sounds about right to me.

LY 182
its not that bad.. just because its alot of money to some people younger and etc (dont take that as a dig,, myself included) dosn't mean its alot of money

work out how long it takes,, plus garage overheads staff wages etc etc etc its really not that bad

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
its not that bad.. just because its alot of money to some people younger and etc (dont take that as a dig,, myself included) dosn't mean its alot of money

work out how long it takes,, plus garage overheads staff wages etc etc etc its really not that bad

Sorry but what? It is bad, its £84 for a 15 minute job and a £4 bulb. So £80 for 15 minutes work = £320 an hour.

I wish i worked at renault.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Sorry but what? It is bad, its £84 for a 15 minute job and a £4 bulb. So £80 for 15 minutes work = £320 an hour.

Hmmm ive removed the dash a few times and would say its a little bit more than a 15min job. Surely its an hour all in? It's been a while but im pretty sure it took me longer to remove and refit the dash than 15mins.

Chav Rocket
wrong lol anything under a hour is classed as a hour. it is abit expensive but tbh if you knew you could do it yourself why ask them in the first place? if they quoted you £45 would you still have been offended?

Chav Rocket
i jsut realised...your saying you took the dash off, replaced the bulbs and then refitted the dash in just 20m?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Hmmm ive removed the dash a few times and would say its a little bit more than a 15min job. Surely its an hour all in? It's been a while but im pretty sure it took me longer to remove and refit the dash than 15mins.

Guy who made the post said he did the job himself in 20 minutes so i assumed a skilled renault mechanic would be able to do it in 15 easy :rasp:

Audi TT 3.2 V6
wrong lol anything under a hour is classed as a hour. it is abit expensive but tbh if you knew you could do it yourself why ask them in the first place? if they quoted you £45 would you still have been offended?

Lol but what about the £35 they wanted to charge me to replace a bulb? I know thats under an hour but...cmon lol

b****cks did it take you 15mins, would take that to do the 25 point check. If your such an ace mechanic why did you even bother to ask

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
b****cks did it take you 15mins, would take that to do the 25 point check. If your such an ace mechanic why did you even bother to ask

Well done captain, i'm not the OP though i'm going off what he said, so go fire your keyboard cannon at someone else.

Da

Less
I think "Rip off Renault Stealers" is somewhat over the top. Anyone with half a brain would have known that a dash off job at a dealers would be up in the £80 region due to labour alone.

People on here can undoubtedly do it in 15 minutes, but a receptionist will have to quote 'by the book' and I have no doubt that one hour labour will be quoted in the book for such a task.

clio182 rep in the making
The only reason i asked how much it was is because if it was cheaper i would have got it done. i werent expecting it to be that much, and as for people saying it takes however long. i did it in under 30mins easy, so its not gonna take someone who is experienced that long. and renaults overheads are just the same as other dealers and garages. no matter what £80 is steap for a 30-40min job if it takes them that long.

Renaults overheads are just the same as other dealers and garages. no matter what £80 is steap for a 30-40min job if it takes them that long.

As main dealers go Renaults hourly labour rate is quite low, your looking at £100 +/ hour for Toyota, VW, Audi etc.

Better than yours. C*nt.
i could, without a doubt do it in less than 10 mins. Im willing to time it in fact.

Yeah, lol at all the mechanical 'tards in here. It took me 25 minutes to take my old handsfree kit out of the Clio, and that was a dash out/in job. Only took me 45 minutes to take the headlight and petrol tank off my bike, fit HIDs, secure the ballast and solenoid control, and refit the tank/headlight!

2001 172
To be a dealer (for any manufacturer, be it bike or car) you have to have something like £2 million worth of stock available from the shelf at anytime. Obviously thats a massive amount of capital to have tied up in stock (escpecially at the moment with people going bust left right and centre) so they have to make their money somewhere. Labour costs are it.

Think of your nan and grandads (most nan and grandads) with their brand new mondeo. They take it back to where they bought it from. Just because you are capable of removing your dash etc to do the job, doesnt mean everyone else is. And your grandad isn't going to want to take his brand new £16k mondeo to wilko for those chimps to pull it around (as the dealer will have probably scared him with voided warranty stories).

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Im shocked people are still suprised by dealer prices.

Window regulator from Renault - £187.00

Left and right window regulators from Euro - £165

Renault Clio S
Most garages, let alone stealerships, will charge £60-70 per hour labour costs, with 1 hour of labour being the miniumum charge. If the £85 quid included VAT, it's not that bad to be honest.

Renault recently wanted to charge me "around" £350 to fit a £180 electric window/motor relay. I ordered the part and got a tamed car mechanic to do the work for free.

clio 1.6 rsi
i wont use renault at all, used it once the other week for the bonet safety recall as they wasnt sure if it was done on mine and they did a few checks for free and said i needed a new cat so i decided to go to kwikfit and get them to check it over for free and they said i did and quoted like £280 for it all and fitted, so i went to my lil garage i been using for a while and got told £195, saving £85, i wouldnt use anywhere else apart from lil garages as they are more likely to offer u better prices so that you will come back again which is what i prefer. sod renualt for any work at all.