ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ 16v's Cup Road Racer Blog.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
good progress ben, nice to see someone has a 'to do' list longer than mine, makes me feel a bit better :D

out of interest what company did the door cards?

M

mini-valver

Looking awesome now fella. Those seats almost put the 'bodies to shame ;)

Fancy swapping for a K4M now they're both out? Lol!

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Lol! Never saw this pic the first time round. Made me giggle.
Looks like jonny vegas!

IMG_1850.jpg

Good progress, pics and description doesnt seem to be as in depth anymore. Cant wait to see it done.

E90
Nice one Ben, reading this thread with interest. Should go fairly well round the Ring, would be aiming for under 8mins btg - though perhaps not on your first lap! ;) If you need a pilot....

Though not sure you want to go to Nuremburg, not much has gone on there for 60 odd years ;)

LOL Some sage turned up at the ring last year with a Nuremburg trip 2007 sun strip, pmsl, "oh I didn't realise theyw ere still sentancing war criminals to death.

If you want a proper pilot, ignore tall boy here and give me a bell, he couldn't drive miss daisy fast enough.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
for the pikeys out there..

there is two locked and bolted garages before you get to this one, which has CCTV, 4 padlocks, window bars, intruder alarm, which i pay a good premium for it to be linked to the police, and a boxer dog who will kill you :)

oh i forgot the cctv on the house and 4 gates to get past too :)

I didnt realise bellmarsh had beefed up security...lol

Lionel Richie
Lol! Never saw this pic the first time round. Made me giggle.
Looks like jonny vegas!

IMG_1850.jpg

Good progress, pics and description doesnt seem to be as in depth anymore. Cant wait to see it done.

looks a bit like wide (mat) off here! (sorry mate!)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
OK will upload pictures later but last night my cousin (has a franchise of Revive Smart repair) came round to pick up the manta. We went into the garage to discuss getting the bodywork sorted and to book a time to spray the interior..

He is on holiday for two weeks as from Saturday morning so the only time we could spray the inside would be on Thursday!! Which means I have to get the whole interior ready for Wednesday night!

On my list to do was to...

1. Remove the bonding agent on the rear of the roof
2. Remove the maaahoosive tar panel on the roof (front part)
3. Remove all the plastic plugs left on from the door cars etc
4. Remove the areal lead
5. Finish off cut & welding the seat sub frames in
6. Finish off welding the mounting plates for the cage
7. Mask up the windscreen, side windows, front windows etc
8. Remove the cage again
9. Remove the dash support
10. Clean up all the glue from the removed tar pads on the floor, roof, wings etc
11. Hover the whole thing out and panel wipe down
12. Two coats of primer

The best news is that I only have from 9pm onwards tonight and from 6pm onwards tomorrow night eeekk no sleep for me

E90
I de tarred the bmw at the weekend, still have it to clean down and prime, only burnt myself once on the heat gun, I was impressed lol

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
LOL, as its soo cold i close the garage door, the fumes being released from the stuff are killing me ... my parents said they had concerns that i have been taking drugs in the garage when they spied my dribbling into there much loved home made lasagne at the dinner table LOL

renault clio 16v
today i just registered on this forum, and this was the first thread i found and i read all the pages. nice job, what are you doing to this car, and keep up the good work!

You sure its 9 bar as err that high most seem to run 5 bar max.

Why not go to a fully electric rack?
erm yer sure it was, il double check

cant use a electric rack as i have no ABS for the speed sensors, and the rack is 12mm short per side
I'd be interested but a petrol injectors hum seems wrong by miles.

Fit ABS or use the 172 Phase 1 box speedo output since its the same speedo signal?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Ok sooo I got all the bits and bobs sorted ready to weld the roll cage in..

Basically I had to ..

Remove the bonding agent on the rear of the roof
Remove the maaahoosive tar panel on the roof (front part)
Remove all the plastic plugs left on from the door cars etc
emove the areal lead
Finish off cut & welding the seat sub frames in
Finish off welding the mounting plates for the cage
Mask up the windscreen, side windows, front windows etc
Remove the cage again
Remove the dash support
Clean up all the glue from the removed tar pads on the floor, roof, wings etc
Hover the whole thing out and panel wipe down
Two coats of primer

With the help of Sambo I removed the rest of the cage so we would begin work.

So started with removing all the lugs fixings etc, these were quite a b**ch as I didn’t want to scratch the fook out of the paint and if you just rip them out then the bloody cheese steel pulls and bends! So basically I hooked up the air drill and took the centre out of each lug and then with care... took the rest out with pliers etc. Put all the lugs to one side and then removed all the old bolts & fixings from the seat belts etc, then came off the plastic blanking blocks and then using the grinder removed any stray bolts, mountings etc.... put it all in a bag.. 2.6 kgs! It all helps J

Then next on the list was to tackle the huge tar pad on the roof...after trying many methods I had to resort to the heat gun and scraper but I had to be extra careful as if the roof skin got too hot the paint would burn and I didn’t want to mark or put rises in the skin with the scraper... so removing this took forever as it was so thick it needed loads of heat to get to the glue! So I basically had to just warm the whole pad up slowly then pick it off! Once I had removed all this I waked it all back in a bag and weighed it all in....2.1kgs! it was huge tbf!

picsofpaint005.jpg

Areal lead was a easy one... just a 8mm deep socket and the lead just fell off

On the Wednesday I had picked up some more 5mm by 40mm steel, 0.8mm wire and co2/argon mix gas to finish off the seat frames... as the passenger seat was GT width for fat b*****ds I took to the bench and extended the jig and then cleaned off the paint on the base frame, tacked the supports in place and tested the seat to check fitment! Spot on! So finished the full welds... trimmed off the ends....job done!
picsofpaint002.jpg

Whilst I had the welder out I finished off welding the roll cage mounts ready for Sunday, there was only a few bits needed so that didn’t take too long J

Next up was to remove the modified dash support that I had made as this would get in the way with spraying! Again this didn’t take too long just 8 16mm bolts.. I had support the steering column from the bulkhead as the joint was making it sit on the floor pan!

Next I stole mothers Dyson hover and spent about 2 hours hovering all the glass and shrapnel from inside the car, then I got the air gun and hooked up the compressor and blew all the dust, bits of glass etc out the wings, holes, nooks and cranny’s!

The next day I had picked up 5 litres of panel wipe and a spray gun from halfrauds!
picsofpaint008.jpg

Filled the gun and gave all the old glue and tar patches a good soaking with panel wipe... left it for around 1 hour and returned with Tesco value tea towels and after a good hour or so I managed to remove all but most of the glue and remaining tar from the panels, roof panel, boot floor etc!

from this...
picsofpaint001.jpg

picsofpaint009.jpg

to this

picsofpaint003.jpg

picsofpaint022.jpg

picsofpaint020.jpg

picsofpaint006.jpg

picsofpaint004.jpg

Quick hover and air gun again......

Then with the panel wipe and blue roll and wiped down all the interior panels twice!

Then I had picked up 70 meters of brown paper and 4 rolls of thick masking tape, so I masked up the.....

Door jams
Door Panels
Windscreen
Side Windows
Boot opening
Sides of the doors
Gear knob
Handbrake
Rear view mirror

picsofpaint007.jpg

picsofpaint016.jpg

picsofpaint019.jpg

picsofpaint015.jpg

picsofpaint014.jpg

picsofpaint013.jpg

picsofpaint012.jpg

picsofpaint011.jpg

picsofpaint016.jpg

So the car was now fully prepped and ready for the two coats of prime!

I had bough 1.5 litres of prime and mixed this down 50/50 with thinners.... hooked up the gun and gave the car two good thick coats left to dry over night

picsofpaint025.jpg

picsofpaint024.jpg

picsofpaint023.jpg

picsofpaint030.jpg

picsofpaint029.jpg

picsofpaint028.jpg

picsofpaint027.jpg

picsofpaint026.jpg

picsofpaint017.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yep .. did that last nite.. cant go in yet as the fumes from the 2 pac laqure are too strong and i have damaged my vesporator (sp)

bought 2 ltrs of ranult 647 pearl black :D

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
neigbours must get pissed off from that smell... it f**king reeks, could smell it from my room.

looks really good now, Id like the inside of mine painted but it looks like a lot of work to clear all those patches off!

did you miss a patch -
picsofpaint028.gif

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
well the start of fuel tank sits against the back of that steel shell. so if i got the heathunt on the tar to get it hot enough to scrap it off.... i didnt want to damage the tank feed LOL

LOL got ya! I saw a stripped out cup the other week and it didnt have any of those patches... renault are so annoying!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
LOL got ya! I saw a stripped out cup the other week and it didnt have any of those patches... renault are so annoying!

i know, i found a stash of the stuff between the bulkhead on thursday.. heatgun and scraper... 3.7kgs lighter :cool:

it was a huge patch and you cant see it when the scuttle pannel is fitted! so didnt have to clean the glue off.

it was a differnt colour too which was strange..

172 Race Car
Great thread and project, looking forward to seeing the finished article.
You must of saved around 50kg from the tar stuff alone.
Any news on the engine?

Btw A mate of mine says 'Nuremburg ring' ;)

172 Cup
fantastic read!!! keep up the good work fella.............did you actaully budget for this project.......? over spent on any areas

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
wanted to spend around 5k. spent about 20ish LOL

engine will (fingers crossed) be done by end of jan

tar has saved about 26kgs matey