ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ's new toy - Lotus content

Ad

MK2 FRS
Roof leakng is all about the adjustment My soft top is perfect, however the hardtop has a little leakage and will require adjusting.

Cursed it. It has leaked like a sieve today for no apparent reason! LOL

53 Clio's & counting
I keep looking at S1's at the moment. Looks like you found a minter! The standard 118 bhp model is a wise buy as well. Yes the 111S has more go but it also has alot more mechanical issues. Sounds like you did well finding one with a B&C exhaust as well. A company close to my heart....i used to work for them!;)

If you need any tech support, drop me a PM. I know these things pretty well!

Il be taking you up on that mate ;) it's had most of it's servicing at B&C too!

I'm sure you'll have alot of fun in it.

Cheers Ali :)

That's the issue with driving away from the noise, don't get assaulted as much as the people around you!

Lol so true!

53 Clio's & counting
Russ that looks ace, very jealous!

Has the Clio gone now then?

Yup, went last week mate

Cursed it. It has leaked like a sieve today for no apparent reason! LOL

Lol! Never say the roof is perfect! Rookie mistake ;)

I made my first rookie mistake last night, I was watching the litres going in rather than the car, and pissed about 20p's worth of unleaded down the side of the car lol

2.2 bar shed.
I keep looking at S1's at the moment. Looks like you found a minter! The standard 118 bhp model is a wise buy as well. Yes the 111S has more go but it also has alot more mechanical issues.

Alot more mechanical issues? The 1.8 VVC is pretty much exactly as reliable as the standard 1.8. Bar noisy VVC mechs theres not much different that can go wrong between the two. I dont see why everyone underplays the K series so much. Its a brilliant engine as long as you look after it and dont let it run out of water...

Turbos.
Yes, it is very underrated. Scholar are doing some sweet stuff at the moment, doing a 2.0 version and also a high revving 1.6...will be mental!

53 Clio's & counting
Small update:

Found out how shocking the standard H4 bulbs are, so im not 100% on HID's with these, due to the non-projector headlights - So for now iv purchased some Phillips X power H4's.

Iv heard they are pretty good, so taking the Lotus into work tomorrow to do a few bits, fitting these bulbs is now another things to do lol

2.2 bar shed.
Yes, it is very underrated. Scholar are doing some sweet stuff at the moment, doing a 2.0 version and also a high revving 1.6...will be mental!

The 2L block with the welded in liners, Evo 2 iirc is where its at.

53 Clio's & counting
I wouldnt say flawed, I would say built on a budget lol - As Rob said built properly it's a great engine.

But please if possible guys id like this to refrain from being another good/bad K series thread!

53 Clio's & counting
Had some fun in the Elise today :D

I had to work this morning, so took the Elise into work and after I finished I fitted the new headlight bulbs iv got. Not been out in the dark yet, but after comparing one to the other they look a lot brighter and whiter too, which im hoping should improve the lighting situation.

I took the chance to giver her a clean for the first time too, and the valater used some acid stuff to get my tail pipes clean as they looked like they had not been cleaned in ages!

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

After that I went for a quick drive around the lakes with a mate, and took some piccies:

DSC01540.jpg

DSC01541.jpg

DSC01542.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01546.jpg

DSC01550.jpg

DSC01554.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

And back in the garage

DSC01556.jpg

Im slowly starting to push the car a little more, it takes a lot to adjust to to make swift progress, but getting used to how love the rear end feels now, so powering out of rounddabouts with a bit of good old oppo on is great fun - Really looking forward to getting out on track once iv had some driver training.

53 Clio's & counting
Small update;

Popped over to swindon and met up with a mate off the Lotus owners club as I hadn't been over to see him since I had bought mine, and he has some very nice Carlos Fandango camera and got some nice piccies:

2763432440106781315S600x600Q85.jpg

2976456930106781315S600x600Q85.jpg

2152962140106781315S600x600Q85.jpg

2895314100106781315S600x600Q85.jpg

Iv also aquired a decat, so will fit this some time after new year and see if it's going to be too loud, if so il flog it on.

Iv also got a K&N 2nd hand with induction pipe for £15, which il build a cold feed thingy for, as the filter takes it's air from the n/s side vent, I love the noise of the K&N, but wont be on for a little while either, as I want to swap it when I get the Elise on the rollers and see if it gains or looses any power.

More pics and a vid to come as im messing about with camera mounts at the mo.

53 Clio's & counting
Lol you Cant sell it! :(

Unless you buy an S...... ;)

Hope to get out for an hour or so tomorrow, roof off of course lol

53 Clio's & counting
Small update:

Last Thursaday I went to see the guys at Neil Garner, and I have to say they were great.

Neil kindly let me hang around while they worked on the Elise, and Pete the tech who worked on mine started by checking the Geo first.

I had geometry done (Vey important on an Elise/Exige as EVERYTHING is adjustable)
Full check over
New ECU and dash temp sensors fitted

After asking me the use the car gets, I told him it is mostly road use, with about 6 track days this year, so he set it up more towards road use rather than track use as thats where the car gets used the most.

Starting with the camber, The front was fine but the rear was slightly out, so Pete re-shimmed both sides to set it right.

Toe was slightly out at the front, and was duley adjusted, rear toe was fine so was left alone.

The next stage was changing both my blue and brown temp sensors.

These were changed and after bleeding the system (Just to be safe) we let the car run up to temperature, as my radiator fan wasn't working and not only is the rad fan now working, but the fan is now cutting in at 98 degrees and switching off at 88, rather than the 112 and 98 it was before - as the operating temperature has not changed (87-89) I can only assume that the brown sensor was giving the wrong signal to the fan, and was switching it on at too high a temperature

So to any K series owners out there with their rad fans coming on too high - change your brown ECU temp sensor!

Once that was done, they got it up on the ramps for a full check over, as I have my first track day coming up, but also because I bought the car recently and for a very good price(read cheap!), I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something that needed doing etc.

After a good look over, undertray off, and everthing was checked over and the Elise has been given a full clean bill of health which is great news - I let Pete run it up the road and he said it drives lovely, and is a great example which again is a big relief (Big thanks the Graeme who I bought the car off, as he really looked after it!)

So if anyone needs anything doing, servicing etc, I can fully recommend Neil, the service was fantastic, all the guys are really enthusiastic about the brand and know these cars inside and out!

Iv been out for a good drive and the car feels more a bit more stable exiting bends, but much more importantly I know it's spot on, safe and with the sun out it was a great run out

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Beaut of a car mate. Had a driving experience and a S1 was the first car that i drove. Against the M3 and the 360, the lotus was by far the most fun by miles. Amazing machine!

Turbos.
Nice one Russ. Like you say, geo is important on these and i'd probably get it done once a year. Good luck on your first track day in it :approve:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely mate. Those lake side pics, do you know the lad with the orange mirrors on that Bora? Seen it on a few forums and meets and its a bit random..lol

53 Clio's & counting
cheers Rob, still need to get to see you at a track soon, il drop you a pm shortly.

Tom, yeah he is a good mate, he wanted it to stand out lol, there is a bit more oragine to come -was mapped at Rtech on Saturday and is now 214bhp and 220 lb ft of torque

53 Clio's & counting
Decided to spend a few hours after work giving the elise a clean, it needed it!
Nothing special, just a chemical clean with the valeting kit at work, then soap down, jet wash off, dry off then some auto Glym polish, with the inside getting a dash clean, a vacuum, and those bloody fecking floor grates - I could not get them clean!! Whats the best way, I was using some WD40 style stuff, and a stiff brush but still couldnt get it as clean as I had hoped!
Anyway, before:

2011-02-12120301.jpg

2011-02-12120311.jpg

2011-02-12120253.jpg

2011-02-12120320.jpg

2011-02-12120245.jpg

2011-02-12120240.jpg

And the after:

2011-02-12155729.jpg

2011-02-12155740.jpg

2011-02-12162548.jpg

2011-02-12162557.jpg

2011-02-12162656.jpg

2011-02-12162707.jpg

2011-02-12162727.jpg

2011-02-12162733.jpg

2011-02-12162750.jpg

2011-02-12162810.jpg

2011-02-12162836.jpg

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Sen one of these at oulton park yesterday, still not a fan of the front end of them :dapprove:

Glad your enjoying it mate.

53 Clio's & counting
Its a marmite thing mate, I like them, and even if I didnt I cant see the front when im driving so I dont mind :D lol

I still cant believe how much fun it is :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
How are you getting on with this now Russ? I had a look on PH.... Insurance looks to be reasonable come June (25)

I'd love one, but our winters are just so bad now... :(

53 Clio's & counting
Loving it mate - It is one of the few cars that you can actually say everything you read is true.

They are going back up in price now (S1's I mean) and the owners club is a great place to look for decent cars - there are a lot of things that can turn a £7000 'bargain' car into a £3000 bill to have it right.

If you decide to lok at one PM me for anything you wanna know mate :)

Mines going in next week to have the front painted, then im fitting a load of new bits like grilles, plus the seats coming out to properly clean the tub. Also getting my spare alloys refurbed, then it pretty much should be up together :)

And to be honest, im struggling to look for upgrades - due to lack of chances to really test the car (If you get to it's limits on the road you are VERY silly) I am defintately the upgrade needed - I think the only thing I would upgrade is the brakes - they work very well once you get some heat into them, but I don't like the pdeal feel.

Apart from that, it is a complete package - 120bhp is plenty for the road, with it being so light it has plenty of poke, overtaking is easy and going to Nitrons would be nice if I did more track work, the Bilsteins are plenty good enough for road use, which is 90% of it's useage.

53 Clio's & counting
Had the mighty power of my standard K tested last weekend, my friend runs the rolling road next to Castle Combe and has just had the rollers upgraded and calibrated so thought id give them a try :)

(I organise a rolling road day every few months or so, so if anyone fancies coming along and having their car on the rollers drop me a U2U and il let you know the next time im arranging something :) )

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

The end result was:

2011-06-01193956.jpg

2011-06-01194026.jpg

Plenty good enough for nearly 92,000 miles and a B&C stainless rear box and a K&N induction kit :)
Not sure what is going on with the torque though, and it runs a bit rich higher up the revs but generally im happy enough.

On an interesting note though, standard K's normally run out of puff from 5500rpm onwards, where as mine pulls clean to 7000 - leans towards it having bigger cams or some headwork done.....

It has also spent the past 2 days at a friends paint shop, the company iv meantioned before (M.A.P.S.) and he has years of experience with Lotus and TVR and does a lot of carbon work too.
(He didnt need to for 2 days, I just told him to take his time and do it when he could)
My Elise had suffered from a car park bump from when Graeme owned it (And he never found out who did it - b*****ds), so John fixed that, and sorted out the various holes in the clam where the number plate has been mounted in various places over the years and it looks fantastic.
Only this one picture for now as it's tucked away in my garage, but it's coming out on saturday so il get some better ones then :)

2011-06-01184226.jpg

(The black mark is a dead fly lol, the work was done on that corner)

53 Clio's & counting
The seats are coming out on Saturday for the tub to be cleaned mate :)

On closer inspection I think the engien is standard - the atw bhp seems to act like a normal engine as it drops off after 6000

Turbos.
Stop copying and pasting from SELOC you lazy cnut! ;)

Looks so much better without a plate doesn't it? Be brave!

Glad to see you're enjoying it. Mine is running like a bag of nails ATM. Shipped it over to Dijon to drive from Hotel to Circuit and i swear it has about 90bhp LOL. Tried lighting up the tyres in front the of the team, i just got a stink of clutch...

Fecking thing wouldn't start on the first day (its been sitting around for months) so had to bump start it, looked a right mug in the car park with Ferraris/Porsches littered everywhere! I then went to close the boot for the catch to fall off in my hand, great...

Anyway, will send her off to Scholar soon and get the engine refreshed i think. Might even be a mule for their solid billet block they are working on!