ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S1 Rallye - Rally Car Build

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Re: My new project - 106 GTI

looks good mate, the satchshift will rock your world it feels incredible. dash out for lightening is something i need to do but really cba lol i need details on the fan you have my blowers stopped working and wouldnt mind getting rod of the heater matrix

Cheers dude, I can't wait to try it out, car should be road worthy again in a couple of weeks.

The fan/heater I am using is the 2.2kw micro heater - http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65&zenid=7f4eb5a6b9c5be59e857ca01471738f6

They also do others if you want to heat more than the windscreen.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Update..

Well over the past few weeks I took sometime off from working on the car as I was starting to loose my motivation for going down nearly every night.. not to mention my wallet was becoming thinner by the day.

However during this time a few things have changed, while the cam covers where off the car I decided to try and find out what cams had been fitted to the car (Supposedly) when I bought it. There is even a receipt with the car for fast road cams, after getting measuring the duration I discovered the the cams are completely standard!!
I did at the time feel rather hard done by but after thinking about, the car pulls really well and I now looking forward to seeing what the car is like with new cams later on in the year. After all power isn't everything and I would rather spend the money doing some events rather than throwing money in to the engine for the sake of a few more BHP.

In other news the car is now looking more like a car and is now back together (ish) I refitted my heat wrapped manifold and also got the all coolant pipes and electrics plumbed back in the engine bay over the past few weeks. I have also decided to get shot of the simota enclosed style air filter and just go for a standard foam filter as it was a ball ache to remove and refit.

12319725803_b537dba356_z.jpg

I know I still need to get the rocker covers painted but I do have a spare set that I will get sent off for powder coating in the next few weeks. I started the engine last night and got everything back up to temperature, however not without issues... I relied on a friend to help me with the car a few weeks back, he refitted the rocker cover and did a totally dog s**t job of it, so it was spraying out oil everywhere so I resealed that before I left last night. The bleed screw on the thermostat housing snapped so I had to replace that luckily I had spare sat on another engine but again not ideal and of course a small fuel leak in the car which was just a cad elf tweaking up the fuel lines.

Another job was to fit my new washer bottle.. I got shot of the standard one which just hangs in the wheel arch.

12319569735_26bc658257_z.jpg

I have also got rid of the stupid fuel cut of switch which used to pop if you hit large bump in the road, we also found a way of bypassing the immobiliser without sending it off to be unlocked.. which was a total bonus :)

so the car now stands like this and I hoping to have it all sorted and back on the road for the rolling road day on Saturday.. however it is French and anything could happen in the next 3 days!!

12319726083_47fca0c30a_z.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

small update..

On Thursday I started work on getting the nearside rear caliper sorted as it was sticking, I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a fun job and it sooned ended in me calling the car a C**t and going home! I spent about an hour getting the brake caliper off, cleaned up and greased all parts moving again and bolted it back on to then find out the threads were shagged and the brakeline wouldn't do up tight!

I was going to helicoil it but decided I couldn't be bothered messing around with it and went got one of the spare calipers I had in storage. So last night I set about getting the new caliper cleaned up and fitted back on the car which was a success, until I realized the brake flaring tool was locked away in my friends tool cabinet.. Wonderful!! This meant I couldn't repair or fit a new brake line as the fitting was also buggered.. at this point I kept my calm and decided to get on with a few other things.

I got the passenger seat finally fitted in the car and also got the cut off switch stickers and a few other bits sorted inside.

12455887325_b749a56893_c.jpg

12456399324_f9d5392f44_c.jpg

I also messed around fitting the cargo net and used some p clips for the bottom hops and some left over harness hoops to suspend the top of it.

12455895545_84d3d97a61_c.jpg

Fingers crossed I will get the brakes sorted and bled up this evening, that should hopefully allow me to give it a test drive around the yard at least before taking it on the road. Other jobs to finish include - fitting pull cord cord for cut off switch, fitting bonnet pins and grip taping the floor.

I am also going to collect 14 205 gti wheels on Wednesday evening which I have picked up for a bargain. I really can't wait to give it a good shake down and then get out on track before the trip to the ring in April and the first sprint in May.

Audi A3

Looka good bud, cant wait to see it done! Glad my old gti is being of help to you!! Once ive got my clio back from its belts being done its going to start heading the way of your gti i think :)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Quick update..

I finally got to roadtest the car last night, it raised a few small issues, one being a very strange noise when under load or revving the car and a small fuel leak in the car, apart from that the car felt great. I need to adjust the new rear shocks and also set up the bias valve at some point in the dry.
The satchshift really had transformed the car.. I can't wait to use it in anger but just on the road it makes changing gear such a pleasure.

On another note I finally picked up my wheels.. I just need to sell a set to get my money back. I am now the proud owner of 18 205 Gti wheels. I picked up 14 of them for under £200 :D

12608670833_b150dde965_z.jpg

I also got round to fitting the pull cord for the kill switch, actually rather difficult finding somewhere easy to place without it looking like an eye sore. I made a bracket up and fitted it to the very small scuttle. I will get a better photo at some point.

12608995444_93b584feaf_z.jpg

The car is finally a car again and not a pile of bits.

12608993354_37bd3da9bf_c.jpg

I now need to buy my plumb in extinguisher system next month and also a hand held one and the car is ready for its first event of 2014 which the Regis Sprint on April 19th at Goodwood.

I am going to dig the camera out this evening and get some photos of the car which I will post up in the next few days weather permitting.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

Looking good mate. Wouldn't worry too much about not being cammed loose some weight make sure it's well set up and you won't really notice a lack of power. I'm matching lots of cars for pace with a standard engine.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

looks great

Cheers.

Looking good mate. Wouldn't worry too much about not being cammed loose some weight make sure it's well set up and you won't really notice a lack of power. I'm matching lots of cars for pace with a standard engine.

Yea I am not fussing to much, I just want to get it setup correctly and get out and use it. The engine in the car currently is nice and strong and pull really well, I will fit cams along with TB's at the end of the year.

I am going to cut all of my boot out and also get some polycarb windows fitted after the trip to the ring in April, I don't fancy driving out there and sweating my tits off if it gets to warm.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Now you've really peaked my interest. Any links?

I will have a browse, there was one for sale on either Rallye register or 106 owners a few weeks back but by the looks of it they have put them back to standard or broken them down :(

They make good power with a turbo some people are running 250+ Bhp :/

330i. E30 Touring.

Cracking looking little car, this.

I love how simple 106's are to work on TBH.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Cracking looking little car, this.

I love how simple 106's are to work on TBH.

Cheers :)

I agree 98% of the time but sometimes they can be a pain in the arse. However I have enjoyed working on this and always wanted a project. I can't wait to get out and use it in anger in April now.

Going to be sitting my BARS test later in year as well so I can go rallying next year so this will be getting log booked at some point in the next few months :)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Well I am a happy guy.. did over a 100 miles in the car tonight giving it a shakedown to make sure everything was ok. The weather was awful and it highlighted a few issues with holes that need filling to stop the water getting in apart from that it was faultless.

A sneaky photo filling it full of loud pedal juice!

12644241854_9a71dbc6cf_c.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Really like this project Matt. Don't normally go for red cars but that looks great :)

You bringing it to Oli's Saturday?

Cheers, I was never keen on red cars I always wanted an indigo Blue 106 rallye or a black gti, but when this came up it was a bargin and the chassis is really clean rust wise so I settled for red of which I have learnt to love. It does however need a DA throwing over it to make it read again, however I don't want to spend a fortune as it might get scuffed up using it at events.

The plan is to bring it along, hopefully it will stay dry and I can have a fun little drive out in it.

S2 106 GTI

Cheers, what you getting fitted? Did you get that noise sorted on yours?

Yeah the engine mount had completely failed and the knocking I was feeling in the pedals was caused by the lower arm rear mounts knocking not the ARB! so bought all new lower arms and bushes. Did you get some solid engine mounts in the end mate - only just released you asked about mine.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Yeah the engine mount had completely failed and the knocking I was feeling in the pedals was caused by the lower arm rear mounts knocking not the ARB! so bought all new lower arms and bushes. Did you get some solid engine mounts in the end mate - only just released you asked about mine.

glad you got it sorted!! What side had failed ?

Yea eat I am still after some, mainly the upper gearbox and engine, the lower one is already a solid mount. Drop me a PM with what you want for them if you want mate. :)

This looked and sounded epic yesterday. Cheers for your help Matt, good to catch up :)

No worries! Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

S2 106 GTI
The drivers side mate, completely knackered.
Yeah mate I still have them as I said they've done around 20 miles if that!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Another one bites the dust (gearbox)!! 5 weeks before I go to the ring, this one was always a bit noisy so I suppose it lasting a year wasn't to bad! I have sourced a box out of a 1000cc XN which actually should be quite fun (£20), the gears are similar enough to the GTI box but the diff is 4.2 instead if 3.9 so it will accelerate quicker in theory which is perfect for sprints. The car it came out of was well looked after and had two female owners so it hasn't had a hard life unlike all the GTI boxes, for the price I paid if it lasts the ring and the first sprint in May then I will be smiling.

13308379354_d0390b327c_z.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
The car is now back on the road and so far covered 100 miles with the new box, fingers crossed all will remain well. I plan on putting a few miles on the car before going to the ring to make sure everything is ok.

I even polished a turd yesterday... Then is rained FML!

13339816083_8a1a9de687_c.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Its all been a bit quiet in here because I am far to busy/lazy to update the thread.. however I thought I better add some photos.

So I took the car out to the ring in April, after months of me getting the car ready and planning for the trip it ran perfectly. All apart from two of the lower arm fixings coming loose which I fixed on the euro tunnel and a wire coming loose causing the fuel pump not to prime on the morning we left to come back home.

Massive thanks to @Fletcher & @TimR26 for coming on the trip we had a good laugh and hopefully we can get the numbers up for the next trip.

Mine and Fetch's car almost set to leave, I fitted a new offside drive shaft to the 172... shame the nearside decided to give up on the way there!!

14301488660_6985fd0cd1_b.jpg

14486888632_0c59d6fa50_b.jpg

14465015286_f684631a8f_b.jpg

We finally arrived at our accommodation.

14301678577_7443182967_b.jpg

14301535388_50109f267d_b.jpg

Once unpacked and showered we decided to go find some food and a beer!

14484746431_e7f1214209_b.jpg

14508241033_a91bea96ef_b.jpg

The following day we decided to head over to the circuit to watch the VLN race, the grid was massive with awesome mix of cars. Not to mention you could spectate and actually see something, unlike the UK full of fencing and s**t views.

14301507239_8c0a60cb81_b.jpg

After watching the racing for a bit we decided to grab some food and have a drive about. It was at this point the knocking on Fletch's 172 got worse, I took it for a spin and confirmed that the nearside outer CV joint was buggered!

14486828592_8f4ceb4f63_b.jpg

14484686611_45f799599f_b.jpg

14301427530_d4068db660_b.jpg

14301427150_29ceb5d549_b.jpg

After lunch we headed back to the house to take a look at the 172, Fletch and Tim went off to RSR and got some CV grease, I filled the joint back up and put the gator back on with cable ties.

14508180503_318ec294bc_b.jpg

After checking the cars we then headed over the circuit to do a few laps. Fletch jumped in with Tim, the circuit got closed after 30 minutes because of some plumb in his 3 series decided to stuff it.

14301624857_a32f71b531_b.jpg

I completed 2 laps before the track closed, I felt confident in the car and was looking forward to the Sunday to push on and have a good day. That evening we headed to the steak house, the food was brilliant. the Mood however wasn't Fletch was one minute selling the 172 and the next keeping it..... and then undecided if he would actually do anytime out on circuit.

14301507069_ca06684cd9_b.jpg

Finally Sunday arrived, we all woke to find it damp and decided to hold off, Fletcher had got up early and completed a lap which was a relief and was happy to continue for the rest of the day. The weather cleared up and I completed 7 laps in total before calling it a day knowing we had to drive home the next morning.

14488063665_c51d5a4ed4_b.jpg

14488063685_a5bb912a01_b.jpg

14488063725_30c2dbdd97_b.jpg

14464961866_4979ec7848_b.jpg

14486833432_7a8f4feee9_b.jpg

14301625127_b7594bf7b2_b.jpg

14486817784_3300272161_b.jpg

14486817794_62f4433afb_b.jpg

After completing all my laps with a passenger I decided to out for the last time alone, I went as passenger with Tim which made me realise I could go quicker in a few places. Tim was pushing on hard, its amazing how capable the megane's are.

14487231844_e88fbe8345_b.jpg

That evening we headed back and then out for some pizza which was amazing and so cheap. Tim also decided to decorate my car for me.... ever so kind!

14486826212_0589b2624e_b.jpg

14301474998_038cd54524_b.jpg

14301617317_8981b10aae_b.jpg

Monday morning we prepared for the drive home .. which dragged! I will be taking the car on a trailer next I go as its just to noisy and uncomfortable, it will also allow me to take some spares and not worry to much about crashing it!

14488117055_dfca2a05c8_b.jpg

The following weekend, I was out competing in a local sprint. After gaining some more confidence in the car I was excited to get out and compete. I spanner checked the car in the week and made sure we where ready, I also added the timing strut and the correct stickers as per the MSA Regs.

14301678097_9a1be4215f_b.jpg

14508240653_04786ec705_b.jpg

The day started really well, the car sailed through scrutineering, I learnt my competition had plowed so much money in to their 205's running the same engines, one seat, cut slicks and a whole load of other bits and bobs. I however still had s**t in the door cards from the ring trip, two seats, t1-rs and really wasn't bothered!

I got my two practice runs out of the way, the surface was rather mixed and very greasy early on. I was struggling to get any heat what so ever in to the tyres or brakes but I managed two times in practice that I was happy with. The circuit was a mile loop and technical with high kerbs, and a quite a few tight corners. I sat in 3rd in class all day until the last runs where I got shoved to 4th in class and 22nd overall with less than a second between myself and the top of my class.

The car since then hasn't done much, as I have been working but I am out at Goodwood in August for a round of the Sprint circuit championship and then an evening at Brandshatch a week later to get some seat time in the car.

I am planing on making some changes to car in the following month or so which including some weight saving and also getting some new seats. Once the final sprint of the year is over in October I will be putting the car on another winter diet and fitting some cams and management.

Last edited: