ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S1 Rallye - Rally Car Build

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Well After selling my Fiesta ST back in February this year, I bought myself a 55 plate ford focus to poodle about in with intentions of moving out... Yea about that! It never happened which left me driving a gramps wagon that I hated (lifeless steering, very slow, crap on fuel etc etc)

So I set about looking for project that I could enter some sprints and auto solo's in with a friend and put the focus up for sale, preparing to make quite a loss on it. I looked all over the net for a car that I could have fun in that is cheap to repair and run that could fulfil my needs. I thought about buying a cheap 172 but in the end settled for something different after realising how cheap parts are for them and the potential.

So today I picked up a 1998 106 Gti, the car has covered 111k miles but has a folder full of history back to when it was purchased. It has recently had the belts done along with head casket. The car also has fast road cams, Gti5 brakes installed upfront, Janspeed exhaust. Its also been lowered on spax fully adjustable dampers.

After bartering with the chap who was selling it I drove it home after parting with £1100 of my hard earned pennies! The car is tatty around the edges but it is what it is. The body work is all straight apart from a few scuffs here and there. The car does have a few other issues, which will be getting sorted this week.

But putting the issues aside I love how it drives and it does go very well, the engine feels very strong. The current exhaust and suspension setup are naff but I am about to order a pugsport and get that on there.

On the to do list this week -
- full service (plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant flush)
- Nearside front wheel bearing
- sort front bumper, side skirts with new clips from peugeot.
- fit stainless piper 4-1 manifold (already has a mild steel one, but would rather replace)
- Fit new pugsport system when it arrives.
- Give it a good clean in and out.
- Fit replacement battery tray.
- New tyre on the rear.
- Induction setup with new breather pipes.

All in time for going to Britcar at the weekend lol!

Anyway a quick picture - (Sorry its crap compared to what I normally post I really CBA tonight)

7989816668_0ef08361ac_c.jpg

I will post more photos tomorrow and as the week goes on. My plans are to get it looking a bit smarter and get the bits above sorted. Over coming weeks I am hoping to order new dampers B6 or B8 Bilstiens, steering wheel and boss, new seats and new short throw shifter kit.

Its gone down like marmite at home... I love it the girlfriend and mother hate it which makes me love it more :)

DB.

BMW 440i
Re: My new project - 106 GTI

Always had a soft spot for black 106 GTI's. Very nice mate .

Liquid Yellow 182 FF

Very nice mate, id like to see this in the flesh at some point :)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Cheers guys! I can't wait to get the little issues sorted and get it on the road, I will give you a shout one day mark.

I can't decide between the pugsport system and the kam racing one :s

Audi A3

pugsport 2.5" rolled i think? or 2"?

get some bilstein suspension too if yours is as bad as you say.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF

Cheers guys! I can't wait to get the little issues sorted and get it on the road, I will give you a shout one day mark.

Nice one, cheers.

Pugsport, they sound really nice and raspy, pop alot to if you decat it.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

pugsport 2.5" rolled i think? or 2"?

get some bilstein suspension too if yours is as bad as you say.

I am gonna get the 2" pugsport I think, love the look of them.

I plan on getting the bilstein front damper inserts, the rears are fully adjustable already so I just think they need some tweaking.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Looks nice. I would like one of these.
Bet it's good fun to drive too.

I was going to go for the Kam Racing one, if any. Looked and sounded better IMO.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

All the vids online make it sound like it drones more than the pugsport one. I will have a think anyway, I need to get one ASAP the current one is a right lash up.

It's all personal preference with exhausts. I just think the Pugsport is all rasp and sounds a bit kack.

Although I can't really talk with the setup I have at the moment... lol!

120d M Sport

106 gti's are never a hit with the ladies. Probably the main reason I got shot of mine, as daft as it sounds, no one who doesn't know their cars will take it seriously, but there we are.

Have fun and hit some decent country lanes, that's where these do the business!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

The cyclones are 15" so they clear the front brakes I am looking at getting shot of them soon and getting some 205 wheels or something similar.

106 quiksilver

Looks nice.

Pugsport over Kam racing exhaust every day of the week. If your patient can pick up one cheap as chips, got my old one for 120 or something so not that big a hit!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

Ive got a pug sport on mine but will be going kam if/when the time comes to change.

120d M Sport

I ran a 3" pugsport on mine just to be a bit different, everyone goes for the 2. Looked better and sounded less tinny.

I later got tired of the racket and put on a twin silenced magnex with 4-2-1 manifold and decat and that sounded the best I thought.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

I don't mind the tinny raspy note, I had a similar setup to the pugsport on my st. I will get one ordered if I dont like it will sell it on.

Have any of you had issues with them misfiring ? Mine is doing it mid rev range at times and cutting out every so often :s

I need to give it a full service, which includes new plugs. But I am also going to get a new map sensor, idle control valve, lambda sensor and possibly another coil pack.... These all seem to be what people suggest changing!

AW139

I dont understand the 205 wheel craze! They look s**t and really dont suit the 106 at all!

Looks pretty clean 106 fella nice one!

Could be coilpack! Thats what it normally is when they start misfiring intermittently!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Cheers guys! Well good news I cleaned up a few of the sensors tonight and the car drove perfectly fine *touch wood*

Went to do the wheel bearing tonight and decided to do the hub nut up before I stripped it all down and it was loose.... :mad: So sorted that with loctite and bent the small plates across on it to stop it coming undone. I will keep an eye on it and hopefully all should be fine.

Also gave the car a full service, just need to change fuel filter tomorrow night! I might also change the temp sensor just for good measure since I bought a new one, its this sensor that can cause them to run like crap and the first one I was recommend to change!

Jobs left to do before Friday are -

fit 4-1 stainless manifold.
fit new pugsport system should be here tomorrow (toes, fingers crossed)
Possibly fit temp sensor and flush the coolant
sort out front nearside arch and both side skirts, they need some TLC. I bought some new clips today which should sort this.
Clean it inside and out
Front brake pads

Plus anything I find between now and then lol! .. Oh the joys of owning a french car again.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Bit of an update -

I have had some what short of a night mare the last few days and its finally at a stage where its ready to go tomorrow -

Over the past two days I got the pugsport system on, not overly happy with the fit. But its on and working.

started out fitting the manifold.. that was amusing quite the trickery to get it on but did it in the end. Much better than the mild steel jobby that was fitted.

Sorry for lack of photos etc.. I need to get use to taking photos as I go! So more to follow in further updates.

8007417341_fe7e4e0116_z.jpg

I didn't get any pictures off the whole pugsport system before it went on but it was out with the old [

8007414581_5e87172b0d_c.jpg

You can see why I wanted rid of the old system.... Total pile of scrap!

8007420928_054a64c282_z.jpg

After arguing with the system, I got it on and all sealed up and sat right my only complaint is I don't like how it sits. The tail pipe is far to short, it sticks out on the S1 rallye's but on the gti it sits slightly under. I now have the car booked in a local workshop on monday for a new tail pipe to be fitted. I do however love the sound of the pugsport systems.

I got it sitting better after this picture .. Also need a new rear bumper where the last owner let the exhaust burn it :mad:

8007413781_6553acd14d_z.jpg

Next on the list was to fit new brake pads all round ..

Got my new pads ordered, wasn't till I got home I realised they gave me incorrect ones for the fronts! Quite a difference in size. They front pads were not as bad as I thought so I will get them swapped out next week.

8007418320_0a530e0cb1_z.jpg

So before finishing up tonight I gave the car the once over and checked everything was tight and working as it should be. I also attempted to clip the side skirts back on and the front arch, but had no joy and fixed it with trusty cable ties. I have a got a new arch on the way and side skirts :)

While I was doing this I took the opportunity to clean out all the arches as they need a big clean and hadn't been cleaned for a very long time. They came up well next week I plan on getting them all cleaned up and sealed. I only got a quick pic of the rear arch.

rear arches after a nice clean -

8007415606_e87ba4d0c7_z.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

right boys and girls sorry for being slack on the updates front.. I am crap at project threads but i am trying!

Over the past few weeks the car has changed some what, I fitted some new seats, new front suspension along with a fix for my leaky sunroof!!!

well I finally decided that I want to sprint the car next year and do some local events with local Motorsport clubs in the area. Maybe the odd track day. My main aim with the car is to enter some tarmac and gravel rallies in 2014. I have a lot of friends who compete in these events around the country who are all willing to get me up on my feet with it.

After making this decision my first move was removing the standard interior .. including the soaking wet carpets, headlining and front seats!

car went from looking standard inside to this in no time at all - (door card was later removed)

8093343028_c7686efd14_z.jpg

The aftermath and the helper -

8093342552_eceeedf104_z.jpg

Once stripped out I gave the car a good hoover and a clean and got rid of the years and years of dirt and dust which was living under the seats and carpet. I also found £7 which was a bonus! Once I got this out I could see where I stood with my leaky sunroof and it was clear that both the drains were blocked and the seal was knackered! I didn't see the point in buying a new sunroof or seal as it would need to be removed anyway.

Next on the list was to order seats, rails, harnesses, front shocks and various other parts. After looking on the net for days and working out I had not as much in the piggy bank as I thought. I settled for the OMP TRS seats with OMP side rails and sparco frames.

Fitting the frames and seats was a doddle - made easier by us being fuelled by peroni!

8093336291_e24f29b23f_z.jpg

Seats fitted, ready for harnesses!

8093336429_b740195e3c_z.jpg

Next on my list was to sort out the front suspension, it was knackered! It was squeaking and knocking when driving which I blamed on the top mounts but after getting the struts off it was clear the front shocks had loads of play in them.

While the struts where off i decided to clean them up before fitting the new shocks.

Before -

8093338009_4d0f1d0804_z.jpg

After, with new Bilstein B8 -

8093337871_fd9bfb5821_z.jpg

Before being able to refit the struts I had to change various bushes, droplinks, wheel bearings. Once I had got wheel bearing pressed in I managed to get a full day working on the car, I got the front end back one and back on its wheels! as well as fit the new sunroof panel which I picked up a cut to size sheet of 3mm aluminium for £10 and then rounded the corners. before painting it back ready to seal and rivet on to the roof. Before we could do this we had to remove the old frame for the sunroof which involved drilling out the welds holding it in place.

the new sun (lack of sun) roof - Just needs the tiger seal cleaning up in places and the rivets painting black.

8093341678_51e9f154fb_z.jpg

On the same day we finished up some of the inside of the car and fitted the new harnesses. We had to fit some plates underneath the car so got the seats out to do this and got the holes drilled. while doing this I managed to clean up some more of the wiring and get stuff tucked out of the way.

one seat back in with harnesses -

8093336685_5065cae791_z.jpg

We than finally got both seats back in and got the car ready for a test drive before an evening of Go-karting :)

Ready for a test drive -

8093341400_1fe00f256f_z.jpg

The car has been transformed by the front shocks the bilstien B8 shocks really do make the car turn in and handle well. That was the car finally road ready and ready for some use!

Next on the list of things to do is -

Door cards
New brake lines
Induction setup
Source a spare set of wheels
Steering wheel
Short throw linkage kit.
Full Rollcage

and many more things -

Sunday arrived and I got talked in to doing a slalom event with my local motor club (Farnborough District motor club) and I can say I had the most amount of fun for £25 ever! Me and a friend double drove the car so my car effectively did it twice and we where not shy in the slightest!

The courses were on a loose gravel surface that made it very eventful and taught me a lot about how the car handles at high and low speed. The car performed really well wit no hiccups what so ever just and no battle scars. Only think now is I have a few extra squeaks and rattles. It did however highlight that the front brakes either need new pads or replacing they work well but not as well as I had hoped.

I placed well in the event with a 13th in class which I was happy with for my first ever event considering my amount of c**kup's getting wrong test on some of the courses.

Anyway before I got it muddy -

8093337143_8c07864e00_z.jpg

After -

8093337529_7216f12f9d_z.jpg

Going to give the car a once over tonight and hopefully everything will be working as it was ready for an autosolo in a few weeks time! I will post up any photos the event photographers got when they post them online.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects

Excellent read.
Very similar (in fact, in places, Identical to my VTS thread!).

In terms of brakes, you could go to the GTI6 caliper setup. I have and it is superb - 283mm. You could even stick the GTI6 master cylinder on there as well, although I had mixed results because the ebay special, was faulty.

Throttle bodies and cams next ;)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

I already I have the GTI6 brakes and its already cammed, but the brakes just don't seem to have the power... I suspect its the shittypads that are fitted.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF

Looking very good mate, love your plans. I still havent seen it btw!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

I f*cking LOVE that!

lol! Cheers Christopher :)

Looking very good mate, love your plans. I still havent seen it btw!

Are you going to the meet on Wednesday? What I don't get is I have taken better pictures of your car than alot of others and I can't be arsed to even point my camera at this one lol!