ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Salt and Ice

Big 'T'
hope the detailing gods can help me..

I want to keep my paint in good shape over winter, but with all the salt on the roads and freezing conditions im abit stuck on how often the car should be washed

Will washing it too much scratch the paint with the amount of salt also what damage will the salt cause to the paint if left to long? Is it bad washing the car with the possibility of the temperature falling below freezing, and freezing any excess water ?

At the Moment i use snowfoam, hand wash, Megs polish or Dodo Jucie. Then during winter leave for about 2/3 weeks.

Cheers for any tips. : )

PH1 V6
Im no expert but use the pre wash (snow foam) first as you would normally do which will help lift the bulk on the salt/dirt. Wash it by hand (2 bucket method) and rinse thoroughly. If you get the chance to give it a really good clean then apply a wax to the paint too which will help protect it.

Big 'T'
cheers for the reply mate, yeah thats what iv been doing so i guess i will keep doing it and fingers crossed wont be too bad for summer.

Do you think just doing a snow foam and rinse will help?. or not to bother unless you give it a big clean.

I personally am not going to touch mine over winter.

The only thing that I may do is snow foam and jet wash off at some point just to keep it looking fresh and to stop the dirt getting right into the paint (i.e. touchless techniques, limiting my chances of creating any more swirls etc). I may be wrong to do this though.
*Awaits detailing gods to enter*

Big 'T'
Harpham this is the problem i face.. leaving it could cause the salt to 'eat' the paint but then washing causes freezing, moves the salt around and swirling?

I will post a pic of my car to show the state its in after just a week with this lovely weather!

Tbf, I think aslong as you have got a good few layers of wax/sealant over the paint, it should be ok and the dirt & shite shouldnt get into the paint.
On the other hand, if you havent done some sort of winter protection, then it may do something to the paintwork.

Again though, id await to see what the pro's say. Im only an amateur and know the basics, I may be splurting out aload of bull ;)

IMO its mostly bullshit, wax and what not, the more you wash it, the more you scratch it........dont over clean it, it just gets dirty again, just give it a jet wash / snow foam off to get the bulk off once in a while then dont worry about it till the weather is sorted.

I just do my wheels on mine, so the brake dust doesnt get stuck hard as nails.

BMW E36 328i Sport
IMO its mostly bullshit, wax and what not, the more you wash it, the more you scratch it........dont over clean it, it just gets dirty again, just give it a jet wash / snow foam off to get the bulk off once in a while then dont worry about it till the weather is sorted.

I just do my wheels on mine, so the brake dust doesnt get stuck hard as nails.

you must have so amy swirl marks and scratches if you don't wax your car etc thats what protects the paint from everything.

Big 'T'
Im guessing its to stop the salt corroding all the underside! i will be giving my dampers a new coat of paint after xmas as they go red with rust in the summer never mind with this salt!

Im guessing spending a few hours on the winter protection then keep lifting the new salt off with the snowfoam is the way to go.

Any good winter protection waxes?

~ also is there no problem with washing the car then the warter freezing?, blasting under the arches could mean the water could freeze in any cracks?. ~