ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ScarySquirrel's Arctic Blue 182

Looking for 182
Hello everyone,

I hope it's ok to post this thread. It's not really a project, more just a thread to post the progress of my car as it's been an interesting (expensive!) first 9 months of ownership.

I passed my test 6 months to the day after my 17th birthday, back in 2002. For the first 8 years of me driving I spent my days in a hand me down 1997 Vauxhall Corsa Sport 1.4. Naturally I was ecstatic to have a car, and was fortunate to get it for free. I knew nothing about cars (I don't know much now either to be fair), and I ran it into the ground. Here she is a few days before I got my Clio:

corsa1k.jpg

corsa2o.jpg

Beautiful, isn't it?

Anyway, I've longed for a decent car for a long time, but I am useless at saving money, and with photography being my main hobby (and also now a part time business venture) I had to put a lot of money into that, certainly more than the cost of my Clio.

The Corsa was on it's last legs and I was a bit stuck as I needed to drive to work every day, which is about 18 miles each way. So I fortunately received a family loan to buy a new car. I'd looked at S2000's and was in love with them, but the cost was just a bit too high for me unfortunately, and then I settled on the RS Clio 182, and a I fell in love with them.

I think I'm rambling a bit now so I'll keep this short. Looked on Piston Heads, saw one, went to view it, bought it. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't. I went on my own to view it, I don't know much about cars, and it was a case of "I have money, I like this car, I want it". It's a 2004 182 with cup packs and I paid £4,900 for it, with 50k on the clock, loads of history and belts done recently etc.

This is how the car looked when I picked it up:

clio1b.jpg

clio2w.jpg

I absolutely loved it. I drove it lots in that first week, for no reason other than I loved it.

First problem I came across was a very whiny steering wheel noise, turned out to be the PAS pump which needed replacing. This was only a few weeks after I bought it. This was then followed by a MAJOR catastrophe about 6-8 weeks after I purchased it:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ded-expensive&highlight=broken+down+expensive

To save you reading that whole thread. I broke down, apparently my "engine dropped a valve". I still don't really know what this means but I knew it was expensive. Fortunately Tom and James at JMS came to my rescue and arrange to pick up my car and fit a new engine which I had sourced (new engine had 41k on it). It was a VERY expensive thing to happen, and ended up meaning I could have bought an S2000 after all :dead:

Anyway, after a few weeks off the road I got the car back and all was good. The car was still standard at this stage:

clio007.jpg

clio019.jpg

clio021.jpg

I've had a few issues with rattles and knocks, which were eventually fixed by fitting a new exhaust and re-seating (not sure if this is the right term) the engine as it was causing the knocks.

The next thing I did was get hold of some Eibach Sportlines which I picked up for a bargain price of £60 from someone on here. I then had these fitted by another member called Scott who was a great bloke and really knew his stuff:

clio1m.jpg

clio3tu.jpg

clio5.jpg

Next up was the exhaust, which fixed some very annoying rattles which I mentioned above. The old exhaust was screwed, back boxes were rusting and I never liked the tailpipes anyway, they looked like pea shooters. I decided upon a Milltek cat-back exhaust, as I really liked the look and sound of them. I had it fitted by a place called AMD Essex near Lakeside, and I was over the moon with it.

photo1tg.jpg

photo2mfj.jpg

[youtube]e7rvAZaY6gI[/youtube]
A blade of grass is causing that green blur! Oh, and that slight high pitched rattle turned out to be worn manifold-cat bolts, which I replaced shortly after :)

A few more pics of how the car stood at this time, also showing my homage to JMS for saving me when I was practically down and out! (the little sticker on the rear window) :)

Other things I had done at this stage was add a little Renault F1 sticker on the front as I'd seen others do it and I thought it looked quite smart, and I replaced the original RS badge with a new style one from the 197. Oh, and I also got a 3/4 sized plate which I think looks MUCH better, even if it does carry a few risks.

182oct1.jpg

182oct2.jpg

182oct3.jpg

182oct4.jpg

182oct5.jpg

182oct6d.jpg

Next up was a cup spoiler which I bought from someone on here. It was in great condition and already painted Arctic Blue which was great. The brake light didn't work though, and I cracked it trying to remove it so I had to buy a new brake light. It's all fitted and working great now.

photo1qc.jpg

photo2am.jpg

photo3zt.jpg

To summarise, since I bought it I have done the following:

- Eibach Sportlines
- Silvertec indicator bulbs
- New gear stick thing as the other one was worn
- Alloy footrest
- New head unit and stalk control cabling stuff
- 3/4 front plate
- Milltek exhaust
- Cup spoiler
- RSTuner remap which I did myself

Nothing out of the ordinary, but the car was pretty much where I wanted it to be.

For a LONG time I had been wanting some Turinis, and this week I finally got hold of some. I met with a member called Mark from these forums, and we did a trade (plus cash his way), so my car is now sitting on some lovely Trophy Turinis.

photo7qh.jpg

This is the most recent photo, which I took this morning

I have also just had a bit of a spending spree, so over the next couple of weeks I will be fitting:

- Brembo HC front discs
- New OE rear disc
- I'll also be painting the callipers black as they're on show more now
- KTR Coilovers, car needs new shocks so I figured I'd get these for a little more than new OE shocks

:D

That's all for now. Hope this wasn't too boring.

Last edited:
Some lovely pictures chap.

Just for content, here are images of your 'catastrophe'!!

DSC01240.jpg

That is an intake valve... facing the wrong way!

DSC01242.jpg

And that is the surface of a piston!

Clio 197 RB
Your front end photo with the new 3/4 plate, has inspired me to get one, its already been ordered.

Anyway, that is very clean, will look great on coilovers.

Looking for 182
Yeah, it was very very hard to be enthusiastic about the car while all that was going on, but I got through it :)

They will be up for sale eventually, but probably not for a few weeks. I'll be fitting the coilovers myself (eek!) so I need to keep them on standby really just case things go wrong. Also, if the coilovers don't work out (don't feel right, or something similar) then I'll put the Sportlines back on.

But to answer your questions, they'll probably be up for sale in a few weeks :)

Looking for 182
Some lovely pictures chap.

Just for content, here are images of your 'catastrophe'!!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Jamesstone2004/DSC01240.jpg[IMG]

That is an intake valve... facing the wrong way!

[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Jamesstone2004/DSC01242.jpg[IMG]

And that is the surface of a piston![/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting those Tom. What a mess hey?

This is a good opportunity for me to say again how AWESOME both Tom and James were getting my car back on the road. They have since done more work on the car and I am of course very happy, hence the JMS sticker :)

Last edited:
No problem matey :eek: , it's good to see you enjoying ownership and treating it to a few nice upgrades, especially after all the problems it through at you so early in ownership!

Disastra Coupe
Damn, i can't wait to get my coilovers on this week after those pic's lol. Car looks very nice pal. Shame about the problem's you've had... But it looks like you haven't let it get you down and are still into the car!

Looking for 182
Thanks all.

Well, those photos were taking on about £3k's worth of camera gear which may have helped :p
I have my own wedding photography business, hence the gear. The photos above were taken on a Canon 5D Mark 2, and a combination of the Canon 35L, Canon 24-70L and Canon 135L, all cracking lenses. I'll definitely be getting the car out to somewhere other than my drive to do some decent shots with some proper off camera lighting....at some point!! :)

Thanks all.

Well, those photos were taking on about £3k's worth of camera gear which may have helped :p
I have my own wedding photography business, hence the gear. The photos above were taken on a Canon 5D Mark 2, and a combination of the Canon 35L, Canon 24-70L and Canon 135L, all cracking lenses. I'll definitely be getting the car out to somewhere other than my drive to do some decent shots with some proper off camera lighting....at some point!! :)

:D

Should have something similar soon! Car looks amazing too.

Looking for 182
Awesome. Just please remove the tints.

Yeah I really need to get round to that. Sometimes I look at them and I like them though :(

I'm worried I'll start removing them and screw it up, ending up with it looking even worse than before.

Arctic 182
Awesome pictures mate - hoping to get some decent ones of mine when I get round to ordering my 550d!

Black 172 PH2
Glad the car is all good now, shame you had so many problems early on.
Car looks fantastic now mate.

Black 172 PH2
Glad the car is all good now, shame you had so many problems early on.
Car looks fantastic now mate.

Corsa Van. Meh.
Yeah I really need to get round to that. Sometimes I look at them and I like them though :(

I'm worried I'll start removing them and screw it up, ending up with it looking even worse than before.

See your point. Not sure how easy to remove they are.

It would make the car look so much better. A light tint looks ok but the full on blacked out just cheapens the car IMO.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Leave the tints .. doesn't look like the fronts are done (meaning no getting pulled). I like it as it is personally !!

Car looks cracking with the little changes you've done.

Good man :cool:

Looking for 182
Leave the tints .. doesn't look like the fronts are done (meaning no getting pulled). I like it as it is personally !!

Car looks cracking with the little changes you've done.

Good man :cool:

Ah man, I'm booked in for Monday and now I'm not sure :( I do kind of like them but I don't like the 'image' they give off. I don't know what to do now :(

Looks awsome fella.

Photo's are mint aswell! What photography business do you do?

Thanks dude. I do wedding photography on the side of my full time job.

Can't believe you drove that Corsa for 8 years. Well done!

Tell me about it. It's in a terrible state!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ah man, I'm booked in for Monday and now I'm not sure :( I do kind of like them but I don't like the 'image' they give off. I don't know what to do now :(

I don't think they look chavvy. Lots of new cars now have these.. most of the Ford range for instance does.

Is it just the rear 3 that have tintage on ?

If the car had neons, 18s (will 18s fit on a french girls car?!) and a 1.2 engine, they'd be ripe for removal.

Personally I think they look fine !! Maybe the photos make them look better than real life. CPL used perhaps ?!

Edit: Polarisor clearly not used, as the glass is full of reflections !

Looking for 182
Such a rewarding colour to clean i find with mine! Has yours got the cup packs but no spoiler?

Yeah it is very rewarding to clean.

I think it only had one cup pack, as I had to buy the spoiler and splitter myself. It has cup suspension though, which I had since changed for coilovers.

I don't think they look chavvy. Lots of new cars now have these.. most of the Ford range for instance does.

Is it just the rear 3 that have tintage on ?

If the car had neons, 18s (will 18s fit on a french girls car?!) and a 1.2 engine, they'd be ripe for removal.

Personally I think they look fine !! Maybe the photos make them look better than real life. CPL used perhaps ?!

Edit: Polarisor clearly not used, as the glass is full of reflections !

Fair enough. No CPL was used. The back 3 windows are pretty much black, you can't see through them unless the light is right, the driver and passenger window is darker, but not too much, it all blends well though.

Clio RS 182
Alright mate, looks good, I wish i had a decent camera to take pics of mine. The phone camera makes it look sh!t.

If you haven't already done it, get a straight through section to replace the Resonator Section, you will not regret it. Made my milltek sound so much better.

Looking for 182
Alright mate, looks good, I wish i had a decent camera to take pics of mine. The phone camera makes it look sh!t.

If you haven't already done it, get a straight through section to replace the Resonator Section, you will not regret it. Made my milltek sound so much better.

Is that something you have to have made? Or is it something you can buy off the shelf? Will it still be legal?

Clio RS 182
Is that something you have to have made? Or is it something you can buy off the shelf? Will it still be legal?

It would have to be made mate, there are plenty of places that do it, I had mine done at Exhausts UK in sheffield, they took my car into the bay, made the section and fitted it in an hour. Cost me £100, but they're expensive because they're good.

Yes it will still be legal mate, all it removes is the silencer (resonator) section. The main reason i had it done was because the baffles in the resonator were fukd.

Gives the exhaust a much better tone.