ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scottish Track day 172 PH1.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Looks very steep ?

The regs up there are very open , I was moved out of my standard car class the otherday for having no carpets even though I offered to collect them from home and carry them in the boot! still managed 3 rd in class though :)

Clio 172
Yeah that bit is mental steep!

Blue book states you can remove carpets, i think its the only thing you can remove trim wise.
I'd have been disputing that one.
I'm in the process of buying a new box with gripper diff fitted and 5:1 final drive should scream up the hills with that fitted.

clio 182
That's goin to shift wit that gearbox!

Can I ask what the connection us with blueflash electrical? I live in banchory!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
That's what I said re carpets but got no where.

Where you getting diff from new or used?

How did you arrive at that ratio ? As 1st will be very short.
Some of the cups ( you know who you are lol ) are in a higher gear than me at a few of the circuits.
I was thinking the less changes the better but it is probably a trade off, accel vs changing gear time.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
its a second hand box and the final drive is already fitted, I know what you mean re 1st gear but most of the hills i'm doing are all 3rd gear max and i find i'm changing up and down a bit too much as 3rd is not enough and 2nd is too much if you know what i mean so i'm hoping that i'll get into 3rd and it'll be enough for the whole hill.If it's too short then i can always have it changed.

Clio 172
Well done! car is performing well!

wouldnt mind getting into hillclimbs! need a few track days first though!

we should arrange a meet/trackday/good drive for the lads in aberdeenshire, some serious clios up this way!

*just noticed fintry in august, i will be there, always a good day out!*

I've just enrolled for the Trackscotland Trackday Night on the 16th August if anyone else fancys it, Its a 2 hour open pit lane session at Knockill 6-8pm.

http://trackscotland.co.uk/booking/...s_id=1&zenid=988c768c13df3efcbb3e068dd13de0aa

Clio 172
Wee update,

Did my local Hillclimb at Fintry House Aberdeenshire, First ever time there and i managed to get a 4th place overall not bad considering the competition inc an Touring car engined rover 200. Next up was a Trackscotland trackday at Knockhill which was a hoot until the front wheels nearly fell off!. I had changed from bolts to wheel studs and nuts to cure the problem after a previous track session. On inspection all the threads into the hub where tight only the wheel side had come lose. I have never seen this on any car i've had before and have lost a bit of confidence due to this so a plan will have to hatched to sort this problem out once and for all. The other problem i've had is the fitting on the inlet manifold for the servo vacuum lime came loose and made the car run a bit rough for a couple of laps but no apparent damage was suffered luckily.
On a better note my new ITG sausage filter is working a treat.
Anyway heres some new pics of her in action.
FIN_0037.jpg

FIN_0935.jpg

4895350939_966f43ef37_b.jpg

4903380353_dc8574dfcc_b.jpg

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Looks good , how's the new box and diff going ?

My next event is Sunday at Harewood , it's a large class entry of approx 19 caes with alot of very quick cars including a couple of integra's that have been getting quicker all year so hoping for a pb to keep me interested lol

Clio 172
Gearbox sale fell through as the guy i was buying it from got fleeced big style trying to buy his Sadev box!.
I'll be looking into getting a diff and maybe a dog kit for it as well if funds permit.

Good luck for Harewood.

Clio 172
Bit of an update for you.

I got a gripper diffed gearbox fitted to the Clio this week but i'm not convinced its ok as its making a really loud clicking noise with lock on it. The box came out of a rally car and is set to run with only one shaft incase of shaft failure so the pre load is quite high apparently.
Its fine in all other areas though.

Anyway here a wee vid of the noise in question?.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
That doesn't sound healthy but I know nothing about gripper boxes!

Car looks great btw :) Good work!

Clio 172
Another small update. Got the new Alloy radiator in which gives more clearance for the throttle bodies, also got some new coolant hoses on while i was at it.

Old Rad.
5509295514_50cf46d6c2_z.jpg

New setup.
5509293304_b3fd9eb3db_z.jpg

5509289928_7ec8197605_z.jpg

5508687583_8aff0b33da_z.jpg

After my last Trackscotland Trackday where i had some tuition the instructor gave me some good advice on my seating position, Basically i was too far from the steering wheel and after he corrected my position for me the difference was great so to help solve the Clio's crappy seating position I've fitted a dished steering wheel which now feels much better.

5508690187_394aaf9ff3_z.jpg

5508689037_df8eb9c251_z.jpg

Trackscotland action shot.
5419478760_1181a5db77_b.jpg

Last edited:
  mk2 ph1 1.4 S
noice project!

id love to do a track day at some point.... maybe once im in the USa and have a decent car i will :rasp:

Clio 172
Well after fitting my new Gripper diff'd box it was immediately apparent something was wrong with it as it was popping out of gear in 3rd and 4th, So after driving most of the first Hillclimb at Doune in Stirlingshire one handed i decided it was going to have to come out again for an inspection. A new 3rd and 4th gear along with new synchro rings later and it was back in and running sweet i also fitted Yanoo's fixed stiff stick kit too which has made a good bit of difference to the sloppy feel i had before.
So last weekend i did rounds 3 & 4 of the Hillclimb championship an secured a 2nd and 1st in class on what was a very slippy course, It's not confirmed yet but i may be leading the championship now as a result so i'm well chuffed.
Sorry there's no rebuild pic's as it was a mate that did it for me but here some of the car in action for you instead.

FHC10424.jpg

FHC10793.jpg

The wheels are ZCW Bolts and are very light especially now their fitted with new Avon ACB10's which are super sticky.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Just read about your wheel nearly coming off at knockhill. Mine did that on Saturday and I am looking into stud conversions. Where did you get it done and can you show me any pics of your hubs now.

Cracking read this thread and great looking car.

clio 182
Well done again on the result from the weekend!

And as i said when i seen the car, those wheels are spot on!

Do you know if there is somewhere i could look to see what kind of car i would be up against if i entered, obviously i would be modified class due to no interior.

cheers

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Well done again on the result from the weekend!

And as i said when i seen the car, those wheels are spot on!

Do you know if there is somewhere i could look to see what kind of car i would be up against if i entered, obviously i would be modified class due to no interior.

cheers

I would assume if the rules are similar to the ones down here the mod prod class where almost anything goes !!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
is the tow strap on the rear easy to fit mate. ive got the same one sitting in the house

Clio 172
You'd be in with the Fast 205 and Corsa in B2 class you saw at Fintry or maybe the 2 fiesta's running Zetec's in C0 class. You'll need a full cage and safety cut off for both those classes but you do get to run slicks if you want!!.

Here's a link to all registered cars for 2011:
http://www.scottish-sprinting.co.uk/results/2011/entry_list_2011.pdf

and here's the final regulations for 2011, These run in conjunction with the MSA blue book, If you want to find out what class you'd be in contact one of the scrutineers and send them details of the car and they will keep you right, PM me if you need their contact details!.
http://www.scottish-sprinting.co.uk/2011_regs_final.pdf

A quick visit to persley would get all the interior bit's you need and you just need to tie it all down, Doesn't need to be in place.

Clio 172
is the tow strap on the rear easy to fit mate. ive got the same one sitting in the house

You just need a big drill bit to drill out the tow hook thread in the chassis and get hold of a long bolt (12mm iirc) with washers and nylok nut.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
ahhh cool, basically the same as the front then, with drilling it out ect. ive got the bolt ect. might give it a go. cheers

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Looks very smart on the gold wheels :cool:

Gearboxes are a pain after looking for ages to find a final drive pinion gave up and bought a box off Burpspeed which I have just collected from Agency who rebuilt it with a Quaife diff which I will hopefully have fitted to the car in the next couple of weeks.

Have you decided to keep it ?

Clio 172
Looks very smart on the gold wheels :cool:

Gearboxes are a pain after looking for ages to find a final drive pinion gave up and bought a box off Burpspeed which I have just collected from Agency who rebuilt it with a Quaife diff which I will hopefully have fitted to the car in the next couple of weeks.

Have you decided to keep it ?

For the time being but if i get an offer then it will go.

This is the part of the season when work interfere's drastically with the championship and i will drop 3 events now. Its a shame because the car is obviously competitive now so it would have been good to have a fight with the Touring Car engined rover that holds all the records!.

Clio 172
So i bought this back last month!. Its been in the hands of a local guy who did some hillclimbs and sprints with it. He also fettled it a bit engine wise so it's now a good bit faster.

Plans are to tackle the full Scottish Speed Championship and some track days too.
11601295563_6edf600a00_b.jpg

Clio 172
So we had our first Hillclimb last weekend, Car ran great and weather was immense. The old Clio dragged me up the hill in a PB time of 52:04 and a class win on both days. My nephew Was double entered with me managed to beat me a few time in practice but had to settle for a 2nd & 3rd still a fantastic drive for his first ever competition and up against some seasoned competitors.
Sadly we didn't break any records.

Here's my quickest run

http://youtu.be/88BAsMGnY1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4bMpw7DyUQ&feature=youtu.be

and heres Andy being brave at Garden gate barrier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQx3GA-ZmQs&feature=youtu.be

172 cup, Impreza P1
It's Doune hillclimb Stirlingshire scotland

Couldnt see the vids in work (no YouTube allowed) but been a few times and wouldn't mind getting mine on when it's finished.

Good wee track at Doune but very tight in places.