ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Little bit of an update.

I managed to spend sometime today on the car, got one of the powder coated exhaust heat shields fitted and the passenger side rear hub almost done.
Just need to fit the brake pads, then i can adjust the hand brake and fit the other heat shield.

I have removed the exhaust so i can give it a little polish and i have given the rear exhaust mount a lick of paint.

I got the brake disc and caliper fitted but no pictures of this.
20140102_110219_zps255c1afc.jpg

20140102_113901_zpscd1d6a97.jpg

Rusty bolts for the exhaust mounts have been replaced with stainless steel ones.

20140102_111949_zpscf6d6542.jpg

I won't bother bleeding the brakes just yet as i dont know what im doing with the fronts.

4 pots are on the list. :D

Clio 172 Cup
I always look forward to updates on this. The car is a real credit to your hard work and attention to detail.

What 4 pots do you have in mind?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I always look forward to updates on this. The car is a real credit to your hard work and attention to detail.

What 4 pots do you have in mind?

Thank you Harry.

The JamSport 295mm kit with the WilWoods. :D

Ph1
Where did you get your stainless exhaust mount bolts from and what size? One of mine rusted and snapped and the other two are not too clever either.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Dedication mate.

Thanks Dave.

Sell me your standard calipers when you do ;) Saves me a job of cleaning and painting mine! lol

I re-built them about 3 years ago (5,000 miles) with the Big Red seal kit and i also fitted new pistons, ill be keeping them for when i sell the car i can fit the standard calipers back. :)

Clean as a whistle!

Thanks Bobby, just need the sun shine now so i can start using it again.

Just gets better and better. ..

Cheers Chi, more to come. ;)

what a minter mate!

Cheers matey, its one of the better PH1's

Where did you get your stainless exhaust mount bolts from and what size? One of mine rusted and snapped and the other two are not too clever either.

Im an engineer so we had a few left in our workshop, they are M8 thread and 25mm long. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That is disgustingly clean!

Thank you, its getting there. :eek:

So today i got a PM from a forum member @Matt e he must had seen my posted about wanting a mint pair of "2.0 16v" side badges (can't be bought from Renault anymore) Anyway the links where for a Renault dealer that are trading on ebay and must of had these two badges in there old stock.

Lucky enough the badges had a BIN so i bought them, to say im over the moon is an under statement and i didn't think that i would be able to find the badges in mint condition let alone a new pair. :D

Big thank you to Matt e :D

$T2eC16JHJHMFHBNVZpWwBR5!QFVz3w~~60_12.jpg

$T2eC16dHJIQE9qUHuF!wBRf6EI448!~~60_12.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Nice work Scott. Coming on well. Awesome news about the badges :)

Thanks Tom, yes im very happy mate. :D

Today i got the other heat shield fitted, bloody hard trying to take pictures up side down.

20140104_134000_zps7de38002.jpg

20140104_134810_zps00c35d59.jpg

Side badges arrived in the post 1st thing today, i dont think ill be fitting them untill i start using the car again.

20140104_121943_zps5968b060.jpg

Many.
Read through the entire thread this morning after dr jekll telling me too a while ago.

I love super clean cars, I really care for the work underneath that nobody really sees or pays attention to, having done the same on my last car.

However, I'm sure you have the same issue as I did, where the f**k do you stop, end up looking at bits, such as exhaust, brake pipes and the ABS wiring and think, yeah why not.....

Audi A5
He checks the weather before he leaves the house.

He prays to god every night before bed for no rain come CSS14.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
fast delivery on the badges!

It sure was mate, i didn't think i would get them untill tuesday.

Thanks again for the link. :)

Your cat if filthy.... ;)

I know, sleepless nights are had. ;)

TBH i have a 182 manifold that will be getting fitted when i do the cams along with a nice new shiny de-cat link pipe. :)

Read through the entire thread this morning after dr jekll telling me too a while ago.

I love super clean cars, I really care for the work underneath that nobody really sees or pays attention to, having done the same on my last car.

However, I'm sure you have the same issue as I did, where the f**k do you stop, end up looking at bits, such as exhaust, brake pipes and the ABS wiring and think, yeah why not.....

Cheers, if i remove something off of the car then it will never go back in a dirty state. I like things to be right but i won't just be pulling the car to bits to clean stuff.
Next on the list is the head work and fitting of my 421's so there will be bits in the engine bay that will be getting powder coated and bolts re-plated or replaced. :D

Oh the exhaust link pipe and the pipe that goes into the back box is going away to be polished, this is only because its off of the car.

I couldn't drive this, what if it rains?

I don't go out in it if its raining but if i get cought out in the rain then thats just life. Its no show car, just a nice condition PH1. :cool:

He checks the weather before he leaves the house.

He prays to god every night before bed for no rain come CSS14.

I took 2 days off of work to clean it for CSS13 and yes it pissed down, i was a little bit gutted as i was hoping to win something.

But there's always this year, i hope that the have more awards. Maybe best PH1? Who knows.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Managed to do a little bit on the car this weekend, it was cold but the sun was shining. :)

Its sat under its cover for about 4 months now so i took it off to let it see the light. lol

Its good to see the C2V3 still doing its job after 4 months, its still beading well.

20140112_144713_zps9b97ce24.jpg

After fitting the powder coated exhaust heat shields i decided that the exhaust could do with a little bit of loving so off to the metal polishers it went, hope to get it back in about 2 weeks. I did try and give it a polish up with metal polish and some wire wool but it wasn't doing a great deal.

20140111_103506_zps141178f4.jpg

So next up to be fitted was the powder coated alloy gearbox mount, also everything in this area needed a bit of a sort out. The ecu cover and brakets need to be coated so these are going to be sent away this week and also the nuts and bolts needed to be re-plated as they where starting to go rusty.

20140111_131802_zpsb1d84c5f.jpg

Plating is coming off, so going to be re done in yellow (gold to us)

20140111_131736_zpscd2d6305.jpg

Old mount and bits ready to be removed.

20140111_132738_zps5f6c0795.jpg

I love the Ktec engine and gearbox mounts, one of the best mods ive done to the car.

20140111_153718_zpsfb652957.jpg

All fitted back.

20140111_161609_zps44623c58.jpg

The pile of parts that i will be sending away.

20140111_162248_zps06e5ba1b.jpg

Just a few bits that will be getting done in yellow, will just make it look nice and fresh again.

20140111_153228_zps5a707a7f.jpg

The rest will be done in clear (sliver to us)

20140111_153329_zps5a6b3adc.jpg

Car looking all sorry for its self, it was nice to see it again.

20140112_134042_zpsb9274cd6.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You're going to have to buy another one to drive, you know that right?

By the time this lands back on four wheels other cars will be floating, and you won't want to drive it for risk of getting dirty on.. well... everything.

Just go and buy another now, move this one inside and basically make it a display that you can charge people to come and see.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
This is just taking the piss now ;)

Flol, thanks mate.

Even looks good on axle stands! Nice plans for the coaters Scott, bet they love you!

Id forgotten what it looked like tbh, yes i bet they do but not how fussy i am. Must drive them mental....lol

You're going to have to buy another one to drive, you know that right?

By the time this lands back on four wheels other cars will be floating, and you won't want to drive it for risk of getting dirty on.. well... everything.

Just go and buy another now, move this one inside and basically make it a display that you can charge people to come and see.

I have my van mate, i just enjoy doing it tbh.

Don't worry it will be back on its wheels when the weather gets better.

The problem is once you have made one bit mint then its hard to fit other bits back looking crap, the beam got done then i couldn't fit the heat shields back looking old so they got done.
Then i looked at the exhaust so now thats away being polished.

I must stop taking bits off...:)

Would you like to borrow one of my cars for a while ;)

If you had a car that you kept for more than 1 month and that you was going to keep then let me have it...lol

This is why i have a problem cleaning stuff.

This is a 1980's Aston Martin V8 Vantage that i helped restore for the owner of the Aston garage that i used to work for.
Everything has been done to this car, bare metal re paint, all of the chassis welding work, re-trimmed, engine re-build, new brake pipes etc etc and its value now is about 100k
It used to be owned by Victor Gauntlett who was the the owner of Aston Martin in the 80's

DSCN1577.jpg