ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Awesome car and great results. I don't think I have enough cash for this one ;)
20140619_114123_zps8d7fadc4.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So 1st off id like to say a massive thank you to Sunglasses_Ron for booking a day off of work so he could come with me to Leeds, thanks mate you made the journey a whole lot more enjoyable. :D
Secondly ive got to say a big thank you to everyone who posted wishing me all the best yesterday, cheers guys.

Whats the bets Chi pulls out a wad of cash and waves it in your face? Odds on you coming back home without it?

Flol, it wasn't the cash it was the empty trailer he arrived with. :cry:

I couldn't bring myself to sell it mate, to much time and effort ive put into it. :)

Absalute perfection!

Made me want another clio to do just this :eek:

Thank you mate, i love it.

All the best today Scott :)

Thanks Rich.

Good luck on mapping today mate :)

Im sure you'll keep us posted on the results with plenty of pics/vids ;)

Thanks Mark, id of loved to have been able to recorded it but all you would have heard was the wind noise from the fan. :(

Good luck for 9.30. Really can't wait to see this car and have a nosey!

See you at CSS matey.

10 mins time ;)

Looks epic Scott, just keeps getting better and better! Top work.

Thank you very much mate.

Great results mate. Bet you are well happy with that.

Yes i am, after speaking to Paul the other week when i booked the car in he said 180 bhp so for it to make over 190 was great.

ah i found the other thread now in media. 192bhp, excellent!

:cool:

Great results there Scott and as a bonus you got to spend a bit of time in god's country Yorkshire ;)

Thanks G, shame i didn't get to spend a bit more time there. Had to rush back to get the hire truck back before 5.30.

Awesome car and great results. I don't think I have enough cash for this one ;)
/QUOTE]

Great to see you again mate, see you again at CSS. ;)

Nice results, whap up a final spec with your graph when you get a chance please.

Cheers Morgan, will do mate. :approve:

Congrats on the result, mate. Very impressive figures indeed :)

(I don't suppose you saw my trophy there, did you? LOL!)

Thank you dude, im happy. Can't wait to put a few miles on it now. :D

I still can't believe it made 191bhp. I'm glad I had my hand in on this build. Will be good to see it make 100bhp per litre

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Flol, Know's it. :cool:

I didn't get home till late ish and wasn't in the mood to do the day's write up.
Ive up loaded a few pictures to PB this morning so I'll update the project thread later mate.

I'm skint at the moment, just getting the car to RS Tuning ended up costing a few quid.

I might talk to paul and see if it's worth me doing anymore to the car.
I won't be fitting a aftermarket air filter as I want it to be as it should be under the bonnet.

However a forged hi comp engine build maybe at some point in the future is calling my name. :cool:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Has it got a standard air filter in the box, Scott ?! You can put a foam filter in there and no one would know..

As for high-comp .. how much higher would you want to go ? These are 11.2:1 already, IIRC ?!

Inferno 225 cup
In all seriousness Scott, ask Chi to drive my old ph1 and that should make your mind up on what to do next.

That power with the gripper diff is all you would need, IMO. It's such a great setup you've got but adding that into the equation would make it superb.

Myself and Gray MicKPM agreed on the same and I also think Chi has.

Also like TEG has said, change up a itg filter and if your running the standard ph1 box change to a v6 intake with a larger CAF?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Never mate, if i was to ever go boosted then it would be charged

Has it got a standard air filter in the box, Scott ?! You can put a foam filter in there and no one would know..

As for high-comp .. how much higher would you want to go ? These are 11.2:1 already, IIRC ?!

Sorry i should have said its a standard box with a ITG foam filter.

In all seriousness Scott, ask @Chi to drive my old ph1 and that should make your mind up on what to do next.

That power with the gripper diff is all you would need, IMO. It's such a great setup you've got but adding that into the equation would make it superb.

Myself and @Gray @MicKPM agreed on the same and I also think Chi has.

Also like TEG has said, change up a itg filter and if your running the standard ph1 box change to a v6 intake with a larger CAF?

As above its already got a ITG filter, my air box is new so un marked mate.

I was gutted not to be able to have a go in Chi Meg but just not enough time in the day mate.

Yes id of loved to go to his house and have a go in your old car, the diff will be something ill look into doing over the winter when the cars back off of the road.

I did offer but Scott was pressed for time..

Yes you did mate and thank you. :)

Nice figure that, looking forward to the write up !

Cheers mate, i got it taxed today and took it out for a very quick blast, it goes well and sounds bloody epic.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So i managed to get away for work a little bit early on Wednesday as i had to get to Romford before 5.30pm to collect the recovery truck that id hired.

It was 2.2 6 speed so it went very well, even quicker empty. ;)

20140618_193052_zpshn51i38d.jpg

Loaded up the car with the help of the misses and some bits of wood as the front bumper was so low to the ground.

All loaded up and strapped on.

20140618_201849_zpspn5biry4.jpg

Went to bed at 10pm and had the alarm set for 4am, had to collect Sunglasses_Ron on the way.

4.30am in the petrol station getting some cash out on the way to collect Dave.

20140619_043419_zpsw35lb0zf.jpg

20140619_043448_zpsty91xmn3.jpg

The drive up to RS Tuning went very well, we didn't get stuck in any traffic.
We stopped off for a quick bite to eat and a coffee as we was booked in to Pauls at 9.30.

We arrived at RS Tuning at about 9.40am and the lads set about putting the car onto the rolling road, at this point my hands started to sweat as all of my hard work could end up going bang!!

20140619_095937_zps2ncpxv9h.jpg

At first the Clio wouldn't idle and was running so rich which was giving Paul a bit of a head ache, but after a few runs and a bit of messing about we started to get some where.

20140619_112536_zpsndkwpdne.jpg

20140619_112545_zps5centgkn.jpg

Here is the final print outs. :D

20140620_084148_zpszbc2e59y.jpg

20140620_084223_zps16jtpdql.jpg

Big thank you to Andrew @ALD for the head work.

And a big thank you to Paul RSTuning for the mapping.

Engine spec is

ALD ported head with new valve guides.
Supertech valves
ALD ported and matched inlets
Catcams 421's
182 exhaust manifold, heat wrapped in Design engineering titanium exhaust wrap.
K-tec de-cat pipe
K-tec single box stealth
Standard PH1 air box with ITG filter
ARP rod bolts

20140619_114223_zps1my018bg.jpg

Ive taxed the car today and managed to take it out for a very quick blast, it goes very very well on the road. The noise from the exhaust is epic and when it comes on cam i just grin from ear to ear.
The Bilsteins are so well balanced, and compliment the car. So glad i went for them in the end.

Last edited:
  LYV6, 182, R5GTT
F**CKNG AWESOME MATE.

You should be so chuffed with yourself, with this beauty you've developed...I certainly would be!!!

See you in the morning :D

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
SO glad it all worked out for you Scott, must be great having it back :D

The power/torque starting to drop off around 6400 is the standard inlet being in choke, mine did exactly the same except it dropped off a bit more but that's because of the cams not being quite as lairy as 421s.

I've noticed you didn't get the jump in peak torque around 5000-6000, I think that's down to the filter setup as that's the only difference. I wouldn't bother changing it though, it looks better as it is.

I'm glad your happy with the Bilstein. For the road they don't need damping adjustment at all.

How do you feel about the Ph1 final drive? I always found it too long whereas the short Ph2 final feels better. It's a matter or preference I guess but if you do go for a diff perhaps it's something to consider doing at the same time.

Fingers crossed now the summer holds out so you can get plenty of use out of it.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You've built a f**king awesome car mate! I'd love my ph1 to have the same engine spec as yours.

Thanks matey, im pleased with it so far. :approve:

Nice graphs :) Again, congrats on a very nice result. I look forward to seeing where you take it next... :)

Cheers mate, bet you can't wait to put a few miles on yours?

Totally agree! Not just the engine spec but the whole car spec! This was the car that pushed a thought into reality for me.

Hats off to you Scott.

Cheers Mark, its been an up hill struggle at times.

Bloody love this car!!

Let me know if you ever sell up ;)

Thanks dude.

F**CKNG AWESOME MATE.

You should be so chuffed with yourself, with this beauty you've developed...I certainly would be!!!

See you in the morning :D

Cheers fella, great to see you again today. :D

Brilliant stuff Scott!

Ta very much.

Such phenomenal attention to detail. Kudos, I love it!

:eek:

SO glad it all worked out for you Scott, must be great having it back :D

The power/torque starting to drop off around 6400 is the standard inlet being in choke, mine did exactly the same except it dropped off a bit more but that's because of the cams not being quite as lairy as 421s.

I've noticed you didn't get the jump in peak torque around 5000-6000, I think that's down to the filter setup as that's the only difference. I wouldn't bother changing it though, it looks better as it is.

I'm glad your happy with the Bilstein. For the road they don't need damping adjustment at all.

How do you feel about the Ph1 final drive? I always found it too long whereas the short Ph2 final feels better. It's a matter or preference I guess but if you do go for a diff perhaps it's something to consider doing at the same time.

Fingers crossed now the summer holds out so you can get plenty of use out of it.

Thanks alot Tom for the info mate, the Bilsteins are epic.

Yes im going to keep the standard air box as it looks right under the bonnet (plus i couldn't bring myself to fit anything else) I find the final drive a bit to short as it seems to rev alot on the motorways.

Maybe im just getting old, its not just a fast road screamer and i dont think my wife and kids will like it on a day off to the sea side revving its nuts off, or isnt it that bad?

Im out on a meet tomo morning for breakfast with a few of the chaps on here so ill get the chance to have a nice drive out in the car along a few lanes.

Should be fun. ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Today i went over to Kent to help my mate GW200 out with his race car engine, after him smashing the old engine to bits he wanted me to do the cam belt on his new engine.

It was a great morning mate. :D

Once i got back home i wanted to remove the plastic side strips and give them a bloody good clean and then give them a coat of Gtechniq C4 and fit my new "2.0 16V" side badges.

Old strips removed.

20140620_133947_zpswag8xlt7.jpg

20140620_133913_zpszh08flea.jpg

Treated and new badges fitted. :cool:

20140621_195438_zpsmff2ttvk.jpg

Inferno 225 cup
News just in

"Essex heartthrob builds better than new Renault ph1 from ground up"

Tbf this should actually be in a magazine.