ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seized hub nut

Clio 197
Not a clio but a DC2, replacing the inner CV boots which means removing the driveshaft.I have removed one side with a little bit of a fight but the NS is nearly impossible to remove.

I am using plus gas on the hub nut and the deformed section of the nut has been bent away from the driveshaft spline as best i can,i have used a chisel / lump hammer all around the face of the nut and tried...
  • Heat plus Impact wrench (Clarke corded, however not too sure of the health of this as it couldn't undo a wheel nut i found out after). I cycled this 4 times with no luck.
  • Breaker bar + 5 ft extension, which ended up snapping my breaker bar head (1/2 drive). Didnt use all my body weight before it snapped.
  • 1ft breaker bar with all bodyweight (around 200ft/lbs)
Options;
  1. Thinking of purchasing the Sealey CP2400 cordless impact wrench, but unsure if this will be up to the job. Rated at around 330ft/lbs, so should be , but unsure... Any one with this impact wrench got an opinion?
  2. Try a 3/4 breaker bar / socket combination
  3. Cut the hub nut using a dremel or similar, however this is the last option..
Any ideas?

Cheers

Clio 172
1 inch bar and a 10foot scaffolding pipe, that's what I used in the same situation.

I would probably use a combination of heat/penetrating fluid/shocking it and using a bigger bar. If it doesn't budge with that then an impact wrench probably won't do it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's a Honda, it's rusting itself to death.

Cut it if I was you. Clean up the shaft end (!!) and then fit a new nut with plenty of copper grease.

If you haven't already - With the wheel on and the car down on the ground, get someone to jump in and put their foot on the brake so you've got less flex.