ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Servicing your cars - Genuine or aftermarket?

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
So what do you guys do for servicing your cars then?

Are you happy to use the likes of GSF and ECP for your service parts, or do you prefer to use genuine?

I've come to the Diesel Clio from a V6 Vectra for some cheap motoring. Whilst the running costs are cheap, genuine renault parts seem very expensive.

I did have the benefit of a trade club account with Vauxhall, but even before that, Renault genuine parts seem expensive.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Very true but for the price of a genuine oil filter there's really no excuse. Air filters and cabin filters I also only fit genuine units but I get them at a really good price.

53 Clio's & counting
I use genuine, only because the cost difference between genuine and aftermarket service bits are f**k all, plus I get discount so it makes the difference even less.

Plus once you have cut apart a few factor oil filters and genuine ones, and see the difference, i'm sure you would use genuine too lol

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Always genuine, apart from oil, but I use the Fuchs Titan race stuff.

Surely there's a balance to be struck, that hasn't really been represented here... Items fall into roughly 3 categories, no?

1) OEM is so cheap it's pointless using anything else (oil filters, cabin filters, Renault Type D coolant)
2) OEM/upgrade is strongly recommended/required due to the importance/complexity of the item (spark plugs & engine/gearbox oil on the Renaultsport models)
3) Pattern parts are acceptable due to their purpose or extreme price saving vs OEM (admittedly much more common for exterior items or common fixes e.g. exhaust hangers on the RS models, fog lights, bulbs)

We use aftermarket all day at work. Renault don't always make their own parts they are mainly supplied by aftermarket suppliers then they get hold of the unit and stamp on the Renault badge and put the price up.

We see it all day long at work. As long as you buy decent aftermarket stuff your fine.

We also get main delears buying parts from us as its cheaper than them getting it thru their own parts department so that car your getting serviced/ fixed thru a main dealer could have aftermarket parts being fitted anyway

Last edited: