ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Single throttle body v. Individual throttle bodies

You have two set ups, both same length runners, same size airbox etc

Setup one was ITBs with an airbox, for example the burpspeed car

Setup two was something like the JMS intake manifold, which has throttle body on the inlet side of the airbox, rather than on the runners

Would there be a difference in performance? If so, why?

This a serious thread and in no way is it meant to be a comparison of products available from any of the aftermarket tuners and is meant as general comparison between the two types of setup as tbh, it's been bugging the hell out of me since I first thought about it!

ITB'd MK1
the distance of the throttle butterfly/s from the valve would be the greatest difference. ITBs having the butterfly closer can give faster throttle response. More torque and more power lowe from ITBs in almost every instance too

Right ok, so having the throttle butterfly(s) nearer the valve means that when the butterfly opens you get the air into the engine quicker? Presumably because you havent got to suck the air through the air box as well as the runners?

This would result in the improvements over a single body equivalent?

I am probably over simplifying it...

ITB'd MK1
that's a good simplified way to put it really. There's plenty more detail you can go into like the distance of the airbox from the trumpets, total volume of the box, total runner length.....the list goes on