ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave's Trophy. 1 x Miley Shed.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Re: 'Sir_Dave's Caged, Cleaned & Toyed-with Shed Trophy Paedo Wagon

Brands? thought it was at Bedford?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Just keeps getting better and better mate :D

You still running the standard dampers with sportlines and the whiteline ARB? Would you say its a pretty good setup for track?

Great thread, car is mint.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

You still running the standard dampers with sportlines and the whiteline ARB? Would you say its a pretty good setup for track?

Great setup imho. Ok, so its not slammed on the floor, but it handles brilliantly, quite tail happy at the moment, but thats my preference really, & pobably due to the Whiteline being on 'hard'.

Next step is to get some koni rears and 'de-pin' the front dampers (so that the damping can be adjusted) - this will allow me to adjust the settings front & rear - not so much because there is anything wrong with it currently, but thats the next logical step on the modification ladder. Also, whilst the current setup is ideal for T1R's, it might not be for R888's.

E46 M3

It'll be interesting to see how you find the balance on the 888's. I find it moves to understeer compared to road tyres even with the whiteline on hard. If I throw it in hard enough I can get some movement from the rear but not enough for a dab of oppo.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

It'll be interesting to see how you find the balance on the 888's. I find it moves to understeer compared to road tyres even with the whiteline on hard. If I throw it in hard enough I can get some movement from the rear but not enough for a dab of oppo.

Understeer? Do not want.

Might have to bung the T1R's on the back if that happens
rofl.gif

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

You running any Camber on the front?

I found 888 to be brilliant with koni's all round and arb..

Seen a few "track cars" with little or no - Camber which I imagine is the main problem for understeering as opposed to the tyres or suspension..

E46 M3

You running any Camber on the front?

I found 888 to be brilliant with koni's all round and arb..

Seen a few "track cars" with little or no - Camber which I imagine is the main problem for understeering as opposed to the tyres or suspension..

I've thought about throwing some camber bolts at it but I've been reluctant because the tyres wear very evenly as it is and the balance on road tyres is ok. Anyway enough of taking this off topic..

TrackCar & F30 330d

Good choice in on the brake pads. They will out last you discs 3 times over which is a bit of a pain but for the braking performance i think thats worth it.

Cant remember if you have run R888's before on the Saxhoe, but remember to lower the pressures quite a bit as they get super hot.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

I've thought about throwing some camber bolts at it but I've been reluctant because the tyres wear very evenly as it is and the balance on road tyres is ok. Anyway enough of taking this off topic..

I think it's a common myth about camber affecting tyre wear tbh.. Badly set up Toe will cause more damage to tyres than camber..

I've been running -2degrees of camber on mine using Eibach Bolts and done around 4k on the current tyres and perfectly even wear on them.. (venomotorsport cheapest place for them btw)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Good choice in on the brake pads. They will out last you discs 3 times over which is a bit of a pain but for the braking performance i think thats worth it.

Cant remember if you have run R888's before on the Saxhoe, but remember to lower the pressures quite a bit as they get super hot.

Lower the pressures as you go not before you go out of course ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Anyway enough of taking this off topic..

I wouldnt worry about that tbh, id rather my thread contained useful info as well as pretty pics & my usual ramblings ;)

I've got some new discs to put on at some point anyways, so thats not the end of the world, Brembo HC's are only £45 a pair anyway. Dust doesnt seem to bad after the drive into work today btw, perhaps i was just exercising the pads a little more than i thought the other day :eek:

Havent run R888's before (saxhoe ran Eagle F1's), purely as i think they're overkill for a clio & may take away some of the fun!! But tbh, i got fed up of everyone saying i was slow (as they zoomed around 888's vs my T1R's), so gave into peer pressure. I need to teach a few lessons ;)

If they detract from the 'fun' though, & make it too easy, they'll be coming straight back off.

Lotus Elise

R888 don't take away the fun you just have to be going a lot fast to have it ;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Ha ha, lucky Bedford has lots of runoff then!! Dont tell Ollie (passengering), but i intend to find their limits ...

O Rly?! Im now suddenly very grateful you have that half cage in.....

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

And so to Bedford, which, whilst short & sweet due to a PAS pipe failure, was a great indication of how flipping awesome the Trophy is now its finished. The R888's, as expected do hide driver incometance pretty well, ie its not hard to keep a decent pace by literally barrelling up to a corner & chucking it in, but well, if you do drive properly, some pretty hilarious speeds can be reached :race:

The brakes on the other hand .... Having found them rather epic on the road, it would appear that they hadnt been correctly heat cycled / bedded in prior to me buying them (i bought them 2nd hand, having done about 100 miles), so im guessing they decided to do this whilst out on track. Leaving me thinking that i'd made the wrong decision changing the DS2500's. However, instead of going into the pits & crying, i just applied the last of the late / insane brakers principle a few times - although obviously i didnt let onto Ollie that for about 3 corners i had no brakes ;)

Once they came back though, they were daft, so pleased as punch.

Few pics:
1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Bombers car is obscene btw, on track (probably as i had better drive out of corners), it didnt seem to be that much quicker up to about 80, but after than, well i might as well have been in reverse. Caught up rather quickly under braking /cornering though mind ;)

And how we got home. Saved on petrol anyway :dapprove:
915a92ea.jpg

Trophy #382

Saw your car at JMS last week. Wheels are lush :S. is she all fixed now?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

If you had run out of middle pedal then I was none the wiser.....I just thought that you'd finally grown balls and were driving it properly. ;)

At least we know you weren't cooking them. Unlike that bloke in that near standard Cup we followed for a lap......the one where we could actually see the smoke billowing from his fronts under braking.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Saw your car at JMS last week. Wheels are lush :S. is she all fixed now?

Dunno tbh, rather amusingly i had completely forgotten it was there!! Well, until last night when i returned from a weekend at home in Cornwall and wondered where it was :eek:

Need to drive it again asap really, keep looking at M3's & 130i's. Need to remind myself i do actually have a quickish car at my disposal. The Derv's slowness is driving me nuts. Mind you, the 48mpg does help ...

Ollie - :rasp: but yes, that cup was having a slight overheating moment me thinks!!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Remap the derv for a bit more power? You'd be mad to get rid of the Trophy, must be a serious amount of fun with each outing.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Remap the derv for a bit more power? You'd be mad to get rid of the Trophy, must be a serious amount of fun with each outing.

Its not just the speed though tbh, its the general dieselness of it. Should have got a 330d really, but i just wanted the one with the most mpg! Well, that & the fact that a facelift 330d (6 speed box on later dervs) was about £1.5k more ...

Strangely enough, i was talking to dad over the weekend about the Trophy. Decided that if i do end up getting an M3 or something next year (& go back to one car for a bit), i'll just flog all the modified bits off the T, & stick it on axle stands in their barn for a while.

Saves me having to buy another clio 12 months down the line when the M3 bankrupts me then. As they say, 'they always come back' ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

No 6 speed in a derv is a bad move:eek: I've been driving the GFs alfa and I've really missed the laziness of my derv, keep changing down a gear for the overtake is getting tedious now lol. I'm betting it wouldn't even take 12months before you wanted to get the T back on track lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

No 6 speed in a derv is a bad move:eek: I've been driving the GFs alfa and I've really missed the laziness of my derv, keep changing down a gear for the overtake is getting tedious now lol. I'm betting it wouldn't even take 12months before you wanted to get the T back on track lol

6 speed is great for mpg, but in the 3 series 6 is sooooo long that unless your doing 80+, its below 2k rpm, which means when you put your foot down, nothing happens lol.

You're probably right on the Trophy front, hence why id part break/store it, rather than sell it ;) & im sure Trophy V2 would be quite a bit more hardcore than before ...

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

s**t they must do some seriously good mpg at 70 then.

Cheap set of 2nd hand itbs ftw!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Tired of a 50mpg derv and a lack of serious pace? Oh my heart bleeds....

I currently have a SORN'd (and not so happy about it) Cup and a race car in kit form......the 306 can go around corners well but I feel like im about to fall out of it the seats are that sh@gged and it has the acceleration of Nick after a burger.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

ROFL!!!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1

PMSL, that's a plate of human V Power right there.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Thats a plate of human unrefined crude oil more like...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Ollie are you going to le mans? No CS saturday?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Yes im going to Le Mans and probably CS Saturday. Why you ask sweet cheeks? ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

I thought Dave might have said it clashed with Le mans. I'll be at CSS anyway! We can talk filler and cough up dust! :eek:

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Nah Le Mans is less than 10 days away so no risk of a clash. I look forward to it!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Excellent, maybe Sarah has his balls in her handbag then. ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Sarah has his balls in her hand

EFA ;) Gutted tbh, wanted to admire the arch gap on the (Lily)Savage mobile. Unfortunately, we're off to Thailand for 3 weeks on the 30th July though, its a hard life, but someone's got to do it, etc.

To Ollie - Le Mans FTW. Oh, & my 1st new avatar for years.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Just looking though them photo's, how do the fairly standard ish ph2s do against the 200's Rape em, or pretty even?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Just looking though them photo's, how do the fairly standard ish ph2s do against the 200's Rape em, or pretty even?

My experience was that the Trophy would quite happily pull away on the straights, but cant really compare cornering as i was on R888's. From listening to other people's feedback, it would suggest that the 200 flatters the driver considerably more than the 1*2, but is less 'fun' because of it.

Imho the 1*2 is one of the last 'old skool' hot hatches. Probably never to be repeated.

:D

.. so if you sell it I will never speak to you again. Fact.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Soo ... this weekend i spent the weekend chasing a Caterham (& Richard's MCS) around some of my favourite roads in the Cotswolds. Was absolutely awesome fun!! Caterham wasnt too shabby either tbh ;) although it really didnt have enough power (138bhp iirc) for R888's lol ...

Basically, we hired the Caterham for Sarah's Dad's 60th as he used to have a 'Dutton Phaeton' in his youth (well, actually he still has it, sat in the garden under a sheet, collecting moss & plants, but thats another story) and then stayed in a lovely place called Frampton on Severn for the weekend.

Trophy suspension was perfect as per usual - good ground clearance, supple enough to cope with the bumps, whilst providing excellent grip & cornering prowess. On bumpy roads, dumped on coilovers is not FTW. As the mini proved. Using the lower brace to scrape up cow poo & rocks was not a pleasure apparently.

2894112-3.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Oh, & Carbon Lorraines are evil.

Cleaned on Thursday, fekked on Monday.

IMG_0670.jpg

Car is running awesomely again thanks to Tom & James @ JLS. Essentially after the power steering line split, they fitted a new one, modified the aircon delete slightly & fitted a new aux belt for me (it got covered in PAS fluid). Also as a gesture of goodwill fitted my new braided lines & ran some new fluid throughout.

Winner.