ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sites Blocked @ College

Right today our IT department decided to finally crack down on all the proxys in existance and added URLs with forum in to the blocked list. CS isnt available:mad:.

Ive got an idea though: Seeing as we have Firefox and can download + install plug-ins, would I be able to use a proxy through Firefox?

They wont release the WEP key so I cant access the internet on my laptop. I normally manage finance and buying/selling of parts in frees :( Ebay and all other forums are blocked too, theyve pretty much got the internet on lockdown!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep

unplug network cable and boom.

it used to work in our college. no sites would be blocked.

Sam!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
we only needed that to log into the computer.

im no wizz kid. but it worked for the p**n sites mate.

college=good times!

Hmm, they wont release the wep key here, but set up a wirless network for the entire premises so we could do work. Talk about f**king stupid.

Maybe speak to IT people, say you run your business in your free and need access to X,Y&Z sites and would really appreciate if they could sort something out as it is effecting your business?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Its great being the person that sets up the filtering..

Exception list FTW !

Cupra
^^ knowsit. :D

What software do you use? We are due to change from SurfControl at the end of next month. Websense seems like the main contender so far.

SLK 350
Websense = PITA.

Messagelabs is much better.

Best bet would be to find an obscure proxy and keep it to yourself, or hack the WEP.

Im not meant to run a business from college but it isnt an actual business just selling parts that came off and buying new ones to go on!

Cant run .exes so thats a pass hacker fooked.

Stoddie if that works you get plus points!

Could get your own AP plug it into an ethernet port hide it away and away you go.

And if you was looking at cracking your own wep in your own time to check the security level of your home network i would download back tracks 3.0

Or if the site blocking was done by url content rather than site content could always try forwarding a different url to a blocked url

JP

V6 Exige, GTR R35
least it worked.......

sort of! :)

i searched for weeks for stuff and this is the only thing i could find that works

A3 1.8T
got Remote desktop on your machine? (would imagine not) but you could RDP to your home machine?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^^ knowsit. :D

What software do you use? We are due to change from SurfControl at the end of next month. Websense seems like the main contender so far.

Websense running on a linux server, works great and runs stable only time it gets a restart is a kernel update.

Code:
[root@kryten ~]# uptime
 14:16:59 up 127 days,  5:57,  1 user,  load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.01

182FF with cup packs
Just set yourself a proxy up at home.

Or even better, a SSH server and a proxy, so you can tunnel all of your traffic down an encrypted tunnel.

It all depends on how sneaky your admins are. I setup networks to stop people getting out, so I know most of the tricks.

Encrypted tunnels are pretty much the only way to go in most case, find yourself aport that allows you direct access out, and tunnel out of it. That way.

I use the home SSH server and run a proxy on it so I just SSH to my home server, map a local port through the connection and then point my proxy settings in firefox to the local port.

It works at my place of employment, and we sell proxies and firewalls and the like, so our network is fairly locked down. (no facebook and the like, no gaming sites, no blogs, no streaming media of any sort, no "proxy avoidance" sites, no direct http or https access out of the firewall).

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
lol at people posting up anon browsing weblinks to try, if the people running the IT system there have any sense everything like that will be blocked for starters :)

Shed.
That said, Chris. I use the proxy bypass website at college to get on sites they dont want us to, its one of the few which isnt blocked.