ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Small (good to have) dilemma?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
This is a kind of, what option would you take question.

Insurance is due for renewal at the end of this month. I'm 21, 3 years NCB, LY182, less than 5k miles (around 3k actual), good postcode etc.

Best quote I've got so far is Elephant via Confused, offering £619.04, I've tried both Greenlight and Sky, Greenlight is almost £200 more, Sky said they won't give me a number as it's so much higher than my best quote so far. Neil@Greenlight has said the quote from Elephant is ridiculously good, I appreciate that, but the Admiral group tend to get a slating for how they handle claims etc, and I'm not sure about the flexibility of modifications. I've been with Admiral for the last year, but haven't changed the mods on the car since I bought it, I would've liked to do a few things this year, but if I go with Elephant I probably won't because they tend to want something silly like £50 a mod.

Would you go with a mod allowing policy for the extra wonga or settle for the better quote?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Get a quote from the admiral group with the planned mods and see how much extra it is.

if it helps, they quoted me £34 for springs and spacers. But if you have them on at the start of the policy, they're free.

although I expect the latter statement is a lie.

Ford Mustang 5.0
The £619 is a really good quote at 21 mate. if it was £50 between us and them it could be worth paying the extra for a like for like modified policy. As its almost £150 its probably best to stick with Elephant unless you plan more mods.

If you could do 3k miles (rather than 5k) a year mate I could probablly get the quote down to £730ish

Regards
Neil

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The £619 is a really good quote at 21 mate. if it was £50 between us and them it could be worth paying the extra for a like for like modified policy. As its almost £150 its probably best to stick with Elephant unless you plan more mods.

If you could do 3k miles (rather than 5k) a year mate I could probablly get the quote down to £730ish

Regards
Neil

Yeah, I understand, if it were like £50, I'd have done it by now, but it's just enough more to make it worth some consideration.

You get what you pay for IME.

Admiral with their admin fees and s**t can soon add up.

Greenlight and no cost to delcare/make changes means in the long run they work out around the same.

FWIW I made plenty changes whilst I had my policy with them and I was never on the phone for more than two minutes. That was anything from numberplates to suspension changes.

It's not just about the flexibility to mod that's a bonus with Greenlight, it's getting through to an English speaking person within 2-3 rings of the phone and to me that's priceless!

I'd go with Elephant personally. Check the mods before you buy them, if its too expensive, hold on another year. You'll have another years no claims and will be older, so greenlight etc can probably do you a better quote then.

work for BMW
I have recently looked at insurance for a 172 and the cheapest by about £150 was some unknown company and online reviews say they are a nightmare when trying to claim. Think ill Pay the extra and go with someone like greenlight for the ease of mods and their reputation

Ford Mustang 5.0
You get what you pay for IME.

Admiral with their admin fees and s**t can soon add up.

Greenlight and no cost to delcare/make changes means in the long run they work out around the same.

FWIW I made plenty changes whilst I had my policy with them and I was never on the phone for more than two minutes. That was anything from numberplates to suspension changes.

It's not just about the flexibility to mod that's a bonus with Greenlight, it's getting through to an English speaking person within 2-3 rings of the phone and to me that's priceless!

Thanks mate. If you need anything you can always PM me and i'll do it via the forum...It can be easier if you are busy at work and stuff :cool:

Ford Mustang 5.0
I have recently looked at insurance for a 172 and the cheapest by about £150 was some unknown company and online reviews say they are a nightmare when trying to claim. Think ill Pay the extra and go with someone like greenlight for the ease of mods and their reputation

Excellent stuff, drop me a PM if you need a quote sorting mate.

Neil
Greenlight

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If your going to do mods in the future it may be worth investing in a higher premium to begin with (im sure you prob know this)